Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 201

Author Topic: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 265381 times)

Bas1lyk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Elder scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #765 on: January 19, 2011, 04:52:13 pm »

It is also worth noting that both of these games are 3rd person. IMO it is impossible to make a good melee combat game in 1st person due to the limited field of view.

Mount&Blade supports both 3rd and 1st person views. I think a significant proportion of its players actually prefer the latter too.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: January 19, 2011, 05:00:25 pm »

[quote author=Sordid link=topic=72838.msg1896691#msg1896691 date=1295466293
It is also worth noting that both of these games are 3rd person. IMO it is impossible to make a good melee combat game in 1st person due to the limited field of view.
[/quote]

Combat in first-person didn't bother me in Morrowind at all. It's not like it's Dynasty Warriors or anything crazy like that. Having the third-person perspective was still handy sometimes, but I didn't use it much.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: January 19, 2011, 05:13:41 pm »

Eh? Looks pretty modern to me. But then to me the Source engine is still cutting edge. :P

I meant I'd pay for a modern version of Severance.

Oh, right. Well I don't mind the age, I actually still occasionally play it. It does have fully dynamic shadows being cast by absolutely everything, which is something Carmack made a big deal out of in Doom 3. Severance had it three years earlier.

I think they were. I'm not sure on the exact source, but I think that someone in Morrowind theorized that the reason the Dwemer strongholds still have operational machinery after three thousand years of sitting around next to an active volcano is that the Dwemer could mess with the primal forces that control aging. And they did all mysteriously disappear, following an attempt to transcend to a higher plane of existence or something. Anyway, "warping the laws of nature" is basically what magic does. Nothing that special. The Dwemer were just exceedingly good at it, owing to their tendency to set up experiments to figure out how the world works.

Well no, not really. Magic doesn't really warp the laws of nature in the TES world, magic is part of the laws of nature. It still follows rules, even though these are different than the rules of our own world. I'm thinking the dwemer had abilities of an entirely different nature. Not just "magic, only more so", something completely different, more fundamental.

I never had any idea what "ritualistic anti-creations" could mean. Human (elf) sacrifice is... well, possible. I never saw it that way, but it does kind of fit.

Well if sacred = magical, then the whole quote about anti-creations to create the sacred out of the death of the profane might just mean they killed things to soultrap them and then enchanted their machinery with the captured souls. Who knows. Bethsoft did write that dialog (and everything else pertaining to the dwemer) to be as indecipherable as possible, after all.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: January 19, 2011, 05:59:13 pm »

Well no, not really. Magic doesn't really warp the laws of nature in the TES world, magic is part of the laws of nature. It still follows rules, even though these are different than the rules of our own world. I'm thinking the dwemer had abilities of an entirely different nature. Not just "magic, only more so", something completely different, more fundamental.

Eh, could be either way. It seems that the Dwemer were the only ones to systematically and empirically study magic, especially forbidden unspeakable taboo magic. They would have been able to do things no one able was able to do anyway. But yeah, it could be other stuff. Maybe their study of the Heart of Lorkhan gave them access to the Construction Set or something. :P

Well if sacred = magical, then the whole quote about anti-creations to create the sacred out of the death of the profane might just mean they killed things to soultrap them and then enchanted their machinery with the captured souls. Who knows. Bethsoft did write that dialog (and everything else pertaining to the dwemer) to be as indecipherable as possible, after all.

It could also have been referring to ritual suicide to ascend to a higher plane, or something like that. Or maybe "the sacred willing itself into the profane" is what Daedra do when they're summoned, and the Dwemer were trying to unsummon themselves.

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: January 19, 2011, 07:45:25 pm »

Their mechanists and tonal architects discovered systematic regression techniques to perform the reverse -- that is, to create the sacred from the deaths of the profane. The Dwemer had practiced generations of ritualistic 'anti-creations', which possibly contributed to their disappearance.

...by means of 'ritualistic anti-creations'. The sacred created the laws of nature by forcing its will upon the profane, and then the dwemer figured out a way of using the profane as fuel to create the sacred. Wouldn't that give them a means to force their own will upon the universe, to literally change the laws of physics?
Also, is it just me, or do the phrases 'creating the sacred from the death of the profane' and 'ritualistic anti-creation' add up to 'human (or dwemer) sacrifice'?

Ritualistic Anti-creations=Antimatter, or something similar
[/post]

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #770 on: January 19, 2011, 09:11:34 pm »

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: January 19, 2011, 10:11:59 pm »

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: January 19, 2011, 10:34:22 pm »

got a feature confirmed: http://www.atomicgamer.com/news/3268/bethesdas-skyrim-to-support-modding
that much was to be a given. The office woulda been burned down if they didn't...

probably...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: January 19, 2011, 10:34:49 pm »

As much as their other things may seem like shooting themselves in the foot, they very well know that no modding would be suicide for their game.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: January 19, 2011, 10:48:00 pm »

As much as their other things may seem like shooting themselves in the foot, they very well know that no modding would be suicide for their game.

Suicide for the PC platform only though. I guess we can pretty much say Bethesda has given up on PCs when they stop putting out constructions sets at all.

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: January 19, 2011, 10:50:52 pm »

so far, they don't seem to have too much foot shooting imo...

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: January 20, 2011, 03:33:04 am »

so far, they don't seem to have too much foot shooting imo...

so far, they don't seem tho have much foot left.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: January 20, 2011, 03:38:47 am »

However, they've simplified all magic types into two skills called "Ouch!" and "Cool!" -- this should increase the marketability of the series to a wider demographic, and I welcome this change.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: January 20, 2011, 04:25:12 am »

got a feature confirmed: http://www.atomicgamer.com/news/3268/bethesdas-skyrim-to-support-modding
I'll believe it when I see it.
Or at least, something more official than a PR-guy on their forums. Though of course, Gstaff always was a cool guy. I'm just not certain lying about this would be above old Bethie, so I'm not going to let myself get hyped about it just yet.

I'm very tempted to comment on read to much into the name change from Construction Set to Creation Kit, though. Makes you wonder. ;)
Love, scriver~

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: January 20, 2011, 07:14:35 am »

Maybe "the sacred willing itself into the profane" is what Daedra do when they're summoned, and the Dwemer were trying to unsummon themselves.

Oooh, I like that idea. Very gnostic, which goes perfectly with Morrowind being basically a fantasy version of Palestine.
*steals idea*

I'm very tempted to comment on read to much into the name change from Construction Set to Creation Kit, though. Makes you wonder. ;)

Not really. It just goes better with their new Creation engine.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 07:31:17 am by Sordid »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 201