Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1018 1019 [1020] 1021 1022 ... 1420

Author Topic: Things that made you absolutely terrified today  (Read 1964139 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Things that made you absolutely terrified today
« Reply #15285 on: January 09, 2016, 07:45:52 pm »

I accept that I'm probably indirectly responsible for the death of thousands of humans
That's a leap in logic I can't comprehend.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15286 on: January 09, 2016, 07:47:25 pm »

And, yeah, what OW said...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #15287 on: January 09, 2016, 07:49:00 pm »

This article just gets more and more horrifying as it goes on. D: D: D:
Oh boy, more chances of getting cancer. Fun.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15288 on: January 09, 2016, 08:13:08 pm »

Holy shit.
That is genuinely horrifying.
I cannot say anything that would not repeat what has already been said.

Having done independent research, I think I'd rather live in the Chernobyl Zone of Exclusion.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15289 on: January 09, 2016, 08:13:52 pm »

@Amp:That bad?
Yyyyyyyyyikkkkeeessssssss.......
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15290 on: January 09, 2016, 08:18:32 pm »

Than that particular place in Appalachia, yes. Provided you don't go somewhere really stupid and are careful about the dust, Chernobyl isn't that bad. You could safely stand right outside the Sarcophagus for several hours without harm.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15291 on: January 09, 2016, 08:19:10 pm »

But not live there, though.
Sigtext

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15292 on: January 09, 2016, 08:22:38 pm »

There are still people living there, last I heard. Not actually near the reactor, but they dug up the contaminated topsoil near places they really wanted to use, and if there's a few hundred meters between you and the nearest strong radiation source, that's enough shielding.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15293 on: January 09, 2016, 08:23:35 pm »

It's still risky.
But yes, there are people living there.
Sigtext

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #15294 on: January 09, 2016, 08:50:09 pm »

Polan. What are you doing. Stahp.

The new gov't passed a law that made the appointment of the directors of national media a direct ministerial decision - effectively, at ruling party's discretion. And promptly appointed a guy who was infamous for quipping that 'the dimwitted masses will eat up anything' on live TV a couple years back.

Brb, going shopping for black jackboots.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

- Abraham Lincoln
That quote reminds me of this one.
"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart, for his purity, by definition, is unassailable."
— James Baldwin
Except he doesn't imagine himself as pure of heart, he knows what he's doing, and is just overtly acting like this for whatever reason. He doesn't think he's pure of heart, and doesn't want good for the people of his country. He wants power, and believes that the highest position in that current government isn't powerful enough. He wants absolute power, and absolute power corrupts. Both quotes are excellent, but aren't, what's the word, fitting.
Actually I was referring to him as the robber baron. Better to have someone like him in power than a crazy social activist.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #15295 on: January 09, 2016, 09:18:33 pm »

Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15296 on: January 09, 2016, 09:52:38 pm »

It's still risky.
But yes, there are people living there.

On the other hand, having finished that huge article, the average american has about 5 parts per billion of PFOA in their blood, which is above DuPont's original safe level for drinking water. So yeah. Moving to Chernobyl wouldn't help.

...Besides, I live near-ish to the American equivalent, so whatever.  :P
Muh FG--OOC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15297 on: January 09, 2016, 10:04:02 pm »

Oh geez.
*prepares to freak out*
Sigtext

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15298 on: January 09, 2016, 10:10:34 pm »

Oh boy, more chances of getting cancer. Fun.
this is exactly why i hate people who say that we should deregulate everything and companys will do it themselves. its the biggest load of B.S to have ever existed and i question the intelligence of anyone who honestly believes they will do it. the absolute last thing a company will do is is announce and fix a problem they have proven time and time again that they will stick with their cover ups until admissions of guilt are pried from slimy corporate their hands. you shouldn't have to prove something is dangerous you should have to prove it is safe and if its not proper treatment should be enforced with ultra heavy penaltys. screw their bottom line all the way to hell.

*oops wrong reply fixed now
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 10:40:58 pm by redwallzyl »

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15299 on: January 09, 2016, 10:17:11 pm »

Holy shit.
That is genuinely horrifying.
I cannot say anything that would not repeat what has already been said.

Having done independent research, I think I'd rather live in the Chernobyl Zone of Exclusion.

From the article: "There are 60,000 unregulated chemicals out there right now. We have no idea what we’re taking.’’

In other words, out of tens of thousands of chemicals used in industrial processes, only a very small number have actually been tested. All the others, well, who knows how much cancer/endocrine system disorders/birth defects they cause? Of course, not all of them are dangerous, but there's a very high risk that many of them are.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now
Pages: 1 ... 1018 1019 [1020] 1021 1022 ... 1420