Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Playfuloiled - A community penal colony  (Read 16044 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Playfuloiled - A community penal colony
« Reply #105 on: December 05, 2010, 01:38:35 pm »

Dammit! Is he gonna beat me to legendary?

Srsly this is quite amusing. I enjoy it greatly, having a dorf in it makes it that much more entertaining too.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Bennet

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 05, 2010, 04:43:09 pm »

Hey, could I get a dwarf in the next wave?  Nothing special, just somebody.

DiscoPony

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 05, 2010, 04:46:38 pm »

I'd like a dwarf as well.  You could name him Pony (or anything, really).  If you happen to get a cheesemaker, I'd like that.  Otherwise, anything's good.  :)

Wolfhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2010, 03:55:18 am »

Great story so far, I really like it. Great job making it under the aquifier with no supplies to start with!

I would like to by dwarfed as well, the name is Wolff, and I'd like to be Building Designer.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 06, 2010, 09:50:42 am »

Nice work celem, keep it up!
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 06, 2010, 04:55:02 pm »

Hm, Fantastic.

I would like an axedwarf, once you get migrants.

Name: Derm
Proffession name: Soulchopper.

Aspires to be the greatest warrior in the history of Dwarfdom.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 06, 2010, 07:44:02 pm »

At length DwarfyDwarf's work was complete.  A magnificant chert floodgate adorned with menacing spikes of chert.  The miner had however simply dropped his tools when done, grabbed a drink and some food and then returned to mining.  When Rith ran into him in the dining hall later that day the miner reported no memories of the event.  Rith shrugged a little at this, but he already had an idea for the floodgate.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This was a good idea, Rith liked it.  It was cunning, and he was cunning.  Rith had decided back in the autumn, as that first dwarven caravan approached, that he would seize some caravans to supply his fortress.  For it was beginning to be a fortress, Zrk2 had instructed every adult in the group in the art of constructing stone walls and a rough perimeter was already underway on the surface above.  His plan however involved the new Depot, which was to be constructed underground, in a specialy prepared room off the first floor hall of stockpiles.  The difficulty was that within a few days of the miner returning to work Zrk2 had thrown a party, apparently to celebrate the return of his shop.  DwarfyDwarf being a great friend of the mason had naturally attended and excavation of the new Depot hall had ceased.  In desperation Rith had ordered a new pick from his growing foundry.  The original anvil had been used to forge three more of iron and the forges had just spread from there.  Initialy Lupusater had managed all smelting but idle dwarves were now taking over as hardened iron was beginning to roll out and their budding smith was to concentrate on weapons and armour.  All of these were needed for the plan.

The plan was simple.  He was not a xenophobe, and he had met enough of that type.  Both the true 'elf-hater',a frothing madman with no desire other than to murder elves, and the 'its-cool-to-be-elf-hater' which was so common in a society where the unpleasant foaming, spitting, elf-murdering thing was viewed rather as traditional.  Rith however was an ultimate realist.  He would take anything he reckoned he could get away with.  Sure a seige down the road might be unpleasant but they'd have ample time to dig in and gear up by then.

As he thought these things Rith was passing the stairway that ran through the centre of the little fort.  A shadow made him glance upward and he saw a long elvish face staring down at him.
"Hello," the face said.
"We're sylvan merchants, do you have a representitive?  We'll be over by the Depot.  See you soon!" the face said all these things too before vanishing and Rith wondered for a moment if he had imagined the whole thing.  He poked his head up above the top step and spotted that sure enough, a pair of elves were unloading donkeys at the Depot.

This was ahead of schedule, he wasnt ready yet.  But these two had no guards and perhaps they could still manage the job.  Ducking back down into the fort he began calling for JacenHan who emerged from the dining hall.  As he heard the situation a big grin spread across his bearded face and he scurried off to rally his squads.
The elaborate preperations proved to be unecessary.  As the dwarves charged from the tunnel mouth, six wrestlers backed by three marksdwarves, the sylvan elves collapsed under a rain of blows.  No dwarf present attacked twice yet the deed was done and the caravan taken.
Rith gazed around in the aftermath and noted the militia scattering to scoop the fallen goods and rush them inside.  As the newly appointed bookkeeper he ran over to take note of the bounty and was pleased to spot four bars of the fabled spellwood.  He was uncertain of its best use still but would figure it out eventually.  A great deal of cloth was retrieved from the Depot also along with a caged elephant and jaguar.  The latter two were sent off to be trained by Nordak who had become animal trainer and dungeon master of the band.  As Rith made a final few notes on his tallyboard he turned to survey the scene. 
Some goods still remained strewn about the Depot but many were gone inside now.  The great blocks of ironwood used to build it were streaked and splattered with blood.  The coming spring rains should clear things up though, he thought happily.
He turned to scurry inside where more tasks awaited him.  This band of merchants had not brought guards but others might.  He needed time to equip and train a military and it was time for his plan...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 07:58:15 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 06, 2010, 08:05:24 pm »

Champ!!! I am such a party-dorf! Also, I train people? Can I be an asshole teacher???

This is great!!!

Excessive punctuation is also great!!!

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 06, 2010, 08:06:49 pm »

Ahem. i have just traded with the elves, and I must say you are right to kill give them a bath. I recently traded with them, and I forgot my bins were wooden. Stupid elves.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2010, 08:21:21 pm »

It took the dwarves until midsummer to complete Rith's devious scheme.  Infact it was barely three days later that the call came in that once again elven merchants were on their way in.  The old Depot above ground had been torn down and replace in the new chamber which DwarfyDwarf had finally dug.  As Zrk2 was sitting idle he too had been thrust into mining efforts to ensure the project was completed on time.  When Rith heard the news of the merchant's arrival he was working in the dining hall on the fortress stockpile records.  He careful placed the thick book onto the table and went to the door to peer out into the corridor, where he was just intime to see the last of a party of ezrakim elves crossing the bridge into the Depot hall.  The flash of lamps on the bright sun gold weapons of the bodyguards reassured Rith that this had been the right move, their rag-tag militia had iron axes now at least, but their iron armor was patchy and seriously incomplete still.

Rith strode back across the hall to a lever labelled "Bridge TD" and pulled it swiftly.  There was a creaking noise from the hallway as the bridge into the trading hall rose and sealed the chamber beyond.  A runner hovering by Rith's elbow was given a signal and dashed off to mobilise a carefully picked group of the fortress' strongest, most enduring members.  Rith waited for a few moments to allow everyone to reach their spots, counting under his breath.
"48..49..50.", Rith said as he gave a yank on a second lever marked "In".

He whirled around now and darted into the corridor and found himself at the raised stone bridge, passing curious dwarves had stopped and were listening closely.  Straining his own ears he could make out the faint sound of rushing water and gave a wicked smile.  Things were going well for those proud bastard elves then.  Strutting around with their shiny weapons, and here they were, broke as usual and able to only look at wares they could never afford. 

No.  Survival of the fittest.
Rith gave it a few hours before pulling the "In" lever again along with a new one marked "out".  He was glad the engineers had been so clear.  No steady engineer had yet emerged for the group as several pitched in when needed, but the labels everywhere made things simple.
Late that evening the bridge was lowered again and a last few vestiges of water trickled into the fortress.  The drowned elves lay on the floor with their wares, which the assembled dwarves fell upon eagerly.
Rith's plan had worked beautifuly, as well it might that long in the making.  He had recognised the aquifer at last for what it was; a limitless supply of water.  Digging out a section he had then had 3 large pumps constructed from wood to transport the liquid up to the depot level where DwarfyDwarf's legendary floodgate spewed in into the trading hall.  The pumps were all dwarven powered but with such a short stack it was no major hassle.  A second floodgate controlled the drainage, the water simply being dropped back into the aquifer again.

The device was tested now and Rith felt confident that when the inevitable repercussions came, they would be ready, he already had work underway on the chamber's twin.  Just incase.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 08:25:03 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 07, 2010, 12:01:16 am »

Fantastic updates celem, if I may what is my one handed glassmaker doing?
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 07, 2010, 03:57:44 am »

A-HAHAHA

Man I feel evil now.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 07, 2010, 04:13:30 pm »

...Just in case.

This is a great story. I'm a miner/mason/teacher/jerk now?

Timestamp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 08, 2010, 07:51:51 am »

Someone get this man a medal.
Drowning elves for nice things - ingenious.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 08, 2010, 12:49:28 pm »

The frentic work of the summer had overshadowed all other events in Rith's mind, but now that his plans had reached fruition he regained some of his focus and set about overviewing the work of the fortress.  Orders were given to gather more stone from the exploratory shafts in the far northwest, where the chert outcrop allowed them access through the aquifer.  Work progressed slowly due to the hauling distances involved but sotkcs of stone and ore were gradually accumulated on the workshop floor.  A magnetite and limonite deposit was encountered and iron production was begun in earnest, with Lupusater churning out plate and mail, along with axe blades for the troops.  As the drowned ezrakim were stripped their sun gold arms also found their way into the hands of JacenHan's dwarves.  A military restructuring had seen the militia commander lead a melee squad comprised of the original wrestlers while Kol took captain of the other dwarves who had been assigned as hunters in the first years.  The melee arm was comprised of JacenHan and AngleWyrm accompanied by OmnipotentGrue, Knarfle, Mosus and MetalMilitia and Rith himself.  Optimumtact's military days were behind her and the loss of an arm had seen the dwarfette restricted to lighter duties.  She currently worked the smelters were she was fast become one of the most skilled.
The marksdwarf squad under Kol's direction included Nordak, the dwarfette was also the dungeon master and animal trainer now, along with Morul, should she ever awaken from the injury caused by that first giant leopard so long ago.  Rith was beginning to suspect nervous damage, but until then there were just the two.

A deep staircase that the miners bored within a column in cavern layer one had allowed the dwarves access to deeper ground.  In time a second cavern layer had been struck, from above as with the first.

The new stone types were interesting, and a few gems were collected along with the discovery of a vein of sphalerite.

As the rapidly growing trees of the plain began to turn toward gold regular life in the fortress was interrupted by Zrk2's sudden strange turn.  The mason had suddenly stopped work on an order of floodgates and dashed off to claim several chunks of ore.  He was working furiously now and snarling at anyone who approached.  After the strange experience with DwarfyDwarf, Rith had ordered such strange incidents ignored as much as possible.  As per instructions the dwarves worked around the guy and life began again.

A few weeks on as everyone's thoughts turned to the imminent dwarven caravan Optimumtact gave birth to the first life to be begun in Playfuloiled.
She had brought an infant to the colony when she first arrived, one of the babies on Knarfle's list that now scampered about the fortress as a child.  This new daughter was therefore the second to be born to her and AngleWyrm, causing Rith to realise that the fortress needed bedrooms.  He had wanted to wait until the aquifer was broken but life was forcing him to adapt his plans for now.  With these thoughts in mind he ordered the construction of a series of bedrooms directly above the aquifer, which was pierced from above in the hallway to provide a site for a well.  Zrk2 had produced a good bulk of doors before being seized by his current strange compulsion along with stone beds constructed at a new furniture workshop from rock and cloth.  Cloth was ofcourse the latest addition to their supplies since the sylvan's visit and its product was setup to create bedrooms for the growing group.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 01:00:19 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12