Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Playfuloiled - A community penal colony  (Read 16048 times)

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Playfuloiled - A community penal colony
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2010, 08:43:53 pm »

Rith found DwarfyDwarf by the river.  During the confrontation with the traders, who even now were heading northwards out of the camp with surprising speed, he had been fishing in the early morning light.
Rith came running up, breathing heavily and thrust the pickaxe wordlessly at him.
"Excellent!" exclaimed the dwarf and seized it with relish, making a few practice swings in the air.
"Just tell me where and we're digging!"
Rith took a moment to regain his wind before gasping "Stair by the farms, little rooms first level, then straight down till you hit the caverns."
DwarfyDwarf didnt need telling twice.  He nodded excitedly and dashed off to begin work, leaving Rith breathless by the river.

As Rith's lungs heaved he straightened up and gazed out to the east across the gurgling river, the sun had risen properly now and was warming his back despite the fact that it was autumn.  He doubted in his mind that 'winter' would ever truly visit this place.  A moment later movement caught his eye and he spotted a little herd of antlions meandering their way southwards in the distance.  Two pieces of fortune in one day!  He turned toward the camp and hollered.
"Antlions to the east!  Everyone turn out!"

The dwarves who within earshot came thundering across the bridge in a rush headed by JacenHan and Kol with their crossbows in their arms.  As they gathered around him he pointed out east and said "Come on, lets hunt!"
The dwarves moved out.

The antlions were chittering away as usual, mandibles and pincers clattering as they scuttled southwards, the approaching dwarves caught up with them just as they began to turn west toward the river and JacenHan bellowed out a charge.
Optimumtact their glassmaker was out in front, closely followed by Rith himself and the hulking Mosus.  To their left ran Nordak, Rex and Lupusater, who carried the band's only metal blade in the form of his copper axe.  To the right Gatleos and AngleWyrm were flanking.  JacenHan and Kol stopped at the edge of crossbow range and began bombarding the insects with bone bolts. 
"No fireballs Kol!" yelled Rith as they closed the gap, but he was not certain he could be heard above the rushing wind.
And then they were upon the beasts and once more kicking, biting, punching and scratching as hard as they could to bring the shelled monsters down.
Rith seized one by its left rear leg allowing Gatleos and Anglewyrm to land powerful kicks, meanwhile Lupusater's axe made swift work of a second critter, the bit of his axe shattering its skull.  The hail of bolts coming from JacenHan and Kol accounted for a third before the pack of bugs rallied and counter-charged.

A skittering noise behind him made Rith wheel about, one of the monstrosities had circled round behind him and charged into his back, knocking him to the floor.  It seized his left arm in its mandibles and the sharp chitin sliced the muscle open before a crossbow bolt whirred across the wasteland and felled it.

Hauling himself to his feet he glanced around wildly trying to guage the flow of the battle.  Optimumtact was staggering back from a particularly large specimen which triumphantly clutched a dwarven left hand in a bloody pincer.
The glassmaker was making a keening sound but continued to kick at anything within range.  The other dwarves swiftly surrounded the offending bug and beat it with fists and feet until it ceased moving.  Finally the field was theirs.

Rith turned to congratulate his new militia commander on a first successfull engagement and was horrified to see one lone antlion had snuck around the melee to ambush his marksdwarves.  It gripped JacenHan by the ankle with a pincer and twisted sharply, Rith could hear the snap of bone even from this distance.  A moment later Kol fell upon the beast and stove its braincase in with the butt of his crossbow, and at last the field was truly silent.

Not as successful as we've been in the past, thought Rith.  These damn bugs are more dangerous than I thought.....perhaps next time we'll have some metal armour and blades to give us the edge.  At least they had 6 bugs to butcher, though their wounded count had risen to three.

"Back to the camp lads", he muttered and winced as the cut on his arm ached.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 08:49:03 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2010, 08:47:58 pm »

snip

(quote instead of edit :P )

I said no updates today and you got 3 anyway.  rarrrr! the blood flows!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 08:52:21 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2010, 08:51:15 pm »

Oh snap, injuries! Kol's a badass though.
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2010, 09:11:07 pm »

Are the in-game marriages in-story?

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2010, 09:14:02 pm »

i've not figured that out exactly yet. 

probably is the answer, i made a number of dwarves male in the narrative that were female ingame (in particular i embarked with 6 females and rith as only male) 

sooner rather than later im gonna do a proper sort and see exactly what i got.  marriages are likely to be added into the story during some otherwise quiet spell
Marksdwarf Pillboxes

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2010, 04:38:48 am »

I had a feeling I would be incarnated as a cheese maker. ::)

I suppose things can really take off now that we have an active miner. Excellent...
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2010, 07:08:34 am »

Really good, now with the pick things can get DWARFY!
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

DiscoPony

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2010, 07:33:49 am »

This has been an excellent read, celem.  Can't wait for the next installment.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2010, 10:39:51 am »

Becuase of you, I decided to do my own challenge like this. It isn't really as challenging, seeing as it's a woodland area, but hey, it's got giant gargoyles and harpies.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2010, 08:29:48 am »

The recent fight with the antlions had demonstrated to Rith the hidden power of those critters, whilst they were not particularly good fighters and their shells only really provided protection from fists and feet their snapping jaws and pincers had proven to be too dangerous when they did land the blows.  He resolved not to attack them again with the general populace and to leave their execution to the settlement's new corps of hunters led by Kol.  As he reached this decision in his mind he returned wearily to the camp to inspect DwarfyDwarf's progress with the pickaxe they had so recently aquired. 

The area around the spot at which their original wagon had unceremoniously crash-landed was clustered thickly with dwarves who were watching the excavations with great interest.  Rith shouldered his way through the crowd and saw to his delight a set of earthen steps leading downwards, he descended quickly, excited at the prospect of the stone which they must surely uncover any moment.

The first underground level already held two small rooms to the north and south of the staircase, which descended deeper into the earth.  Sticking his head back up above the ground he gave a succession of swift orders and was rewarded with the sight of the idle dwarves scurrying to the food stockpile.  It was time for them to move their little home beneath the ground as the gods had always intended dwarves to live.

As he proceeded downwards toward the second level he saw again that DwarfyDwarf their erstwhile miner had already constructed a pair of rooms mirroring those above, these would ultimately hold the surface workshops he thought.  The floors and walls of this second level were comprised of compressed peat, which while taking a little longer to hew would provide them with coke once burned.  Here and there clumps of some strange rocky-like clusters scattered the floor and he resolved to ask the miner about these.  He wasnt nearly familiar enough with the various soil and rock types to be found beneath the surface, but had a feeling that these would be secrets the little band would learn swiftly enough.  The stairs continued yet further as he had asked and he practically skipped as he descended yet again, only to bump square into DwarfyDwarf as the latter travelled upwards.

"So, how we doin?", he asked happily.  His mood was jubilant despite his recent injury, things were going their way...oh yes!
"Well, theres good news and bad..." said DwarfyDwarf.
Rith's heart sank somewhat, this was a little ominous.
"Good news first please mate, we've had little enough of that." he said swiftly.
"Well you might have noticed the second level is compressed peat which we can make fuel for metalworking from, I also encountered several reasonable sized clusters of Goethite." replied the dirt-caked dwarf.
Rith tried to place the unfamiliar word but failed.  His expression must have indicated this as the miner elaborated without being asked.
"It's an ore of iron...sometimes.  It crops up here and there in the soil layers but only yields workable metal in perhaps half of smelting attempts.  Nonetheless, its iron which is obviously great."
Rith's mood rebounded and he gave a little jig of excitement.  Ores already and we're still in the soil!, he thought.
"But like I said theres bad news too..." continued DwarfyDwarf, gazing down the staircase he had emerged from.
Rith tried to follow his gaze but could not see far into the gloom, he noticed however that while the miner's upper body was dusted with loose clumps of soil, which had even tangled in his hair, the lower body was slick with a jet black muddy slime.
"I seem to have hit the water table," continued the miner.  "The next floor down flooded as fast as I cut it out, seems we're sitting on top of an aquifer".
Rith gave a heartfelt groan.  He had never encountered an aquifer before, Dastducim being completely constructed long before his birth, but he had heard miners back home talk of them in subdued tones and knew that this spelled trouble for his well-laid plans.
"Its a silty loam layer, practically crumbles to the touch, but theres no way we can just dig through without the shaft filling.  We're gonna have to pull off some kind of engineering feat if we want to hit the rock." said DwarfyDwarf sadly. 
Rith nodded and sighed.  Things had been going too well of course, this godsforsaken place had it in for them, they would not settle here so easily.
"Alright," he said at length "You're telling me we're limited to the top two layers just now?"
The mud-caked miner nodded gloomily in confirmation and Rith gave another deep sigh.
"Fine, for now I guess we have to enlarge the rooms you've already dug to fit our settlement in up here.  We'll have a little chat at tonight's meeting and see what options we have for surmounting this new obstacle."
As Dwarfy tramped up the stairs to carry out these orders Rith descended a few more steps to take a look for himself.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The miner was not exaggerating, Rith's bare foot squelched into slimy ooze and he saw that water filled the base of their shaft.  Well, there were ways through aquifers he was sure, many a fort had done so, though probably few with so little supplies as theirs.  Where there was a will there was a way, he reminded himself, and he remained cautiously optimistic as he returned to the surface to oversee the transfer of their operation to the rapidly expanding rooms on the first two floors.

"The workshops are going to floor two!" called Rith to the scurrying labourers.  MetalMilitia was dismantling their still in preperation for transport, crundle was doing the same to the crossbow workshop, Fniff was working with the craftsdwarf shop and Knarfle was gathering his carpentry tools and workbench.  As each construction was broken into bits a steady stream of dwarves hauled the pieces off down the steps toward what would become their new work level.  DwarfyDwarf had already doubled the size of the rooms Rith had inspected down there, his new iron pick biting rapidly into the peat.  As Rith surveyed the work his mind was reviewing what little he knew of water tables and mining operations, but his knowledge was too scant.  It would be a matter that the whole band would have to discuss at length it seemed.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

By the time the sun slipped toward the distant horizon the surface was unrecognizable from that morning.  All of their little workshops with the exception of the kitchen where AngleWyrm rendered fat from hunting kills had been packed up and transported down below.  What little goods they had on the surface had mainly been moved too, the last of the food barrels and handfulls of seeds had disappeared down the new stair almost an hour before and little remained other than the piles of butchering refuse, Lupusater's currently unneeded copper axe and a few piles of bone crossbow bolts.  The nearby shelter stood abandoned, its furniture hocked to buy their anvil.  The golden orb of the sun dipped below the distant hills and twilight fell as Rith finally turned and descended to join the others, who were congregating in a large space that DwarfyDwarf had hacked out on the first floor, chattering excitedly amongst themselves.

Everybody else was already present as Rith stomped down the stair, their faces displaying excitement at this latest improvement in their joint prospects.
"Evening meeting folks!" he exclaimed and hunkered down in the dirt beside the now silent dwarves.
"We're below ground and thats a start", he began simply.  The assembled dwarves grinned and nodded happily, whilst there had been no complaints no-one liked working under the hot sun all day. (For it was still remarkably hot despite the lateness of the season, winter was just around the corner yet it felt much as it had in late spring)
"However as some of you will have no doubt heard, we've struck an aquifer just two floors below us and cannot proceed deeper right now."
There was a little murmering at this, some of the assembled company had not explored the workings fully yet and there had been little opportunity for idle chatter as goods and shops were moved below the surface.
"So.  We need to find a way to reach the rock, and understand me people, we desperately need rock.  We have no wood left at all and theres nothing big enough to fell for a half-day's walk in any direction.  With this in mind we are left with no option but to attempt to breach the aquifer layer as soon as dwarvenly possible.  And to this end I open the discussion to ideas, for I know precious little of earthworking and such issues.  Anything you may have heard from miners back home, something you read somewhere, crazy ideas.  All of it." 
Rith concluded his appeal and looked left and right.  The assembled dwarves were largely silent, though a few were whispering to each other in hushed tones.  Rith gave them a few moments and then continued.
"So?  Ideas please."

DwarfyDwarf was predictably the first to speak.
"Im pretty new at mining myself" he began apologetically "But from what I was taught before I left there are a couple of common methods for what we want to achieve.  First, we dig out an area of the aquifer and construct pumps to suck out the water.  This takes a lot of pumps to be able to remove the liquid as fast as it pours in, we then take advantage of this to construct waterprooof walls and we can dig downwards inside this protected space."  There was some nodding at this from a lot of the assembled company, Rith nodded too, even he had heard of this method though had not known exactly how it worked till now.  The miner was not yet finished however and presently he continued.
"Second option.  Controlled cave-ins."  A ripple of disquieted muttering at those words, no dwarf liked the idea of cave-ins, 'controlled' or otherwise.  "Yeah, yeah I know...  But the idea is that we channel out a large section of the aquiferous soil and then drop something that cant hold water into it.  Its bloody dangerous but can work beautifully as we then dig downwards through the fallen soil, taking care to keep away from the edges.  Those are the best two methods for doing what we need and all I can think of right now."

Rith nodded at the miner.
"Thankyou for the ideas Dwarfy.  Anyone else got anything?" he asked the assembled dwarves.
After a few moments MetalMilitia tentatively raised a hand and Rith gestured at him to speak up.
"Well up north our engineers used to expose aquifers to the sky and wait for winter, when they freeze up you dig through the ice and put up some walls to protect from the thaw...  But now I think on it I doubt this place will ever get cold enough."  he subsided again and Rith nodded grimly.
"It's a good idea mate, but as you say, I think we're too far south for that one.  Anyone else?"
There was utter silence this time, the company glancing left and right at each other, but it seemed no-one had anything else to add to the debate.
"Alright I'll sum up" concluded Rith.  "As for the first idea.  Pumping is probably the best bet, but we have no spare wood to build the pumps with.  At a pinch I suppose we could dismantle everything to give it a shot, but if we blow it we're stuck with no workshops, still no wood and no rock.  In other words we'd be fucked."
"As for plan two, cave-ins, despite their dangerous nature, would require little in extra supplies from us and may end up being our only way forward, despite the risks.  And as we discussed, freezing is out.  There is of course another possibility.  It might be that the entire area is not all aquifer, could be we can get round it." 
Rith thought long and hard for several minutes, the others sitting silently as they waited for a decision.
DwarfyDwarf suddenly gave a groan and slapped a hand to his forehead.
"Rith I forgot something...  About the cave-in idea.  Its usual practice to use supports to hold up the floors till they are ready to drop, trying without them has a tendancy to maim or kill the miner, which im against for obvious reasons.  We'd need only a few bits of wood for supports, but thats not the problem.  Problem is that the levers and mechanisms that are used to drop the floors on schedule need stone.  I think that ones gonna be a non-starter."
There were groans from the group as they realised the truth of this and Rith nodded grimly.
"Good point, good point.  We're really short on options then.  As it is I fear your gonna have to dig some exploratory passages in the layer above.  Yeah, thats what we'll do.  Long tunnels stretching everywhere, sink a stair every 20 paces to check the wet layer, might be we'll get lucky." he said finally.
The dwarves nodded gloomily and Rith wrapped up the meeting.

This was not going according to plan at all, the day that had started so promisingly had ended with a plan that required fortune... and there had been precious little of that at Playfuloiled thus far.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 08:55:55 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2010, 08:30:50 am »

*facepalm*

I either didnt notice or completely forgot about this latest surprise when I set this all up.  More Fun approaches

(meh forgot the screenshots, editing them in now)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 08:41:17 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2010, 09:28:33 am »

Considering the fact that you have only two layers underground you'll have to drop ground one and leave stair exposed to outside for some time.
And if you don't have any prejudice you can use compact peat and goetite as stone (yea big exploit here  :))

By the way could you give a dwarf? Jade one, name's Di. I'd prefer mechanics and siege engineer and operator professions, but they tend to become labor reserve for any tasks no-one is trained in.

Oh, and great writing.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 09:35:26 am by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2010, 10:27:45 am »

*facepalm*

I either didnt notice or completely forgot about this latest surprise when I set this all up.  More Fun approaches

(meh forgot the screenshots, editing them in now)
Most places without a mountain and with a river have aquifers.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2010, 12:21:13 pm »

Yeah im normally careful.  I couldnt find many places i wanted at embark.  it had to be harsh and this just seemed right.  The map is dead flat so its sheet layers which makes it fun.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2010, 12:46:09 pm »

Is there more than one biome? Because one way around an aquafir is through a biome that doesn't have an aquafir.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 12:47:56 pm by AngleWyrm »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12