Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Playfuloiled - A community penal colony  (Read 16050 times)

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: Playfuloiled - A community penal colony
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2010, 12:48:46 pm »

Can you make pumps out of iron?
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2010, 01:36:54 pm »

Eww aquafiers. I hate dealing with those when I have the resources.
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 03, 2010, 08:41:32 pm »

Some months passed before DwarfyDwarf sought out Rith with a grin on his face.
"Come with me", he said simply and dashed off toward the exploration tunnels above the aquifer, Rith scrambled to keep up.  As they entered the warren Rith realised that the miner had been busy.  They twisted left and right and then left again through junctions in narrow long corridors until they reached an area where Dwarfy had cut a three by two stair. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Descending here brought the pair into a little chamber where stairs ran both up and down.  the area was mostly dry, though Rith could see a few damp spots in the stone in one wall.
"Dry all the way down." said the miner proudly.
"We had some real luck, the aquifer was two layers thick but theres a rock cluster in the soil and we're through."
Rith grinned broadly and slapped the dwarf on the back. 
"Alright, new areas of work are up in the soil layers" said Rith, "Just give us more areas to expand into temporarily till I decide if we move the entrance shaft here or not."

Rith kneeled and picked up a chunk of the rock left from the carving of the stairs and turned the black lump over in his hands.
"Jet?" he asked.
DwarfyDwarf nodded.  "Not something we had back home, but I recognize it."
The two returned to the central halls.

On arrival Rith swiftly sought out Zrk2, described the location of the find and set him to work building first a masons workshop and then some doors, hatches and floodgates, tables and chairs.  Regretting his immediate move of mining a few days later he moved DwarfyDwarf back to the shaft through to the rock layers to find the caverns and provide Zrk2 with a little more material.  Differant stone turned up but no further ores were found before the miner reported striking through a cavern roof.

Rith surveyed the site before having one of the newly completed Hatch covers installed to seal it off.  At least he knew what he had to work with for now.

He also began plans to initiate underground farming, ordering large sections of soil near the river cleared for eventual flooding.  They had no seed suitable but the recent cavern exposure would do its part and he knew his original crew all knew how to pick plants...oh yes.  What fun that had been. 

A passing camel was brought to the floor toward the end of winter with fireballs from the population's two obsidian dwarves, Kol and crundle, at which point the mob of angry militia wrestlers did their job. Rith joined them in this and there were fortuntely no injuries, so he had Fniff make new bolts for the return of hunting just in time for spring.
  Rith saw this as a good omen.  Thinking of the surface always gave him ideas of defensive walls but he had to decide where first...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 08:43:13 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 03, 2010, 09:06:32 pm »

Aboslutely loving it.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 03, 2010, 11:25:05 pm »

OOH RAH! I look forward to eventually being a legendary stoneworker. Aaaand now I've jinxed it.

Great writing!
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Timestamp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2010, 08:56:40 am »

Oh god.
I'm enjoying this story so much, I signed up just to reply

Great writing man, I'm actually clinging to the edge of my seat for you to log on and post another installment =o

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2010, 08:58:12 am »

Hey, welcome to forums, Timestamp!

Timestamp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2010, 09:34:25 am »

Hey, thanks

Just been looking through other threads while waiting for this one to update again
Seems nicer than other forums, I can tell you that ;D

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2010, 01:23:02 pm »

It's because DF takes intelligence to play. That rermoves assholes in two ways:

1. There are no stupid people being assholes.
2. There are no smart assholes making fun of the stupid assholes.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Timestamp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2010, 05:22:46 pm »

Haha, yeah.
You know though, I still don't know how to break through an aquifier myself, so all of this is new to me :s

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2010, 05:29:25 pm »

It's good way to learn.

celem - Entertaining AND instructive writer
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2010, 07:36:28 am »

Hey, this is pretty good.  I really like how you're telling things and... well there's a lot I like here that I can't put my finger on.

I don't really need a dwarf, I just wanted to let you know that you've got another person reading now!

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2010, 09:42:44 am »

makes all the differance.  I hover over the thread somewhat and it gets me writing.  Im starting to show signs that this may eventually become a book.  I'll tell the story for now as I have through key moments as Rith but it may be in the pipe.

To this end all genders are immediately enforced, there'll be an edit at some point.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2010, 10:12:30 am »

The addition of stone to the materials they had available had a significant impact of life in the little community.  Zrk2 had crafted doors, tables and chairs from a rapidly widening array of rock types.  Some kaolinite had been found which was deemed suitable for starting the metal industry and Lupusater had begun work constructing a smelter and wood burner.  A single log was burned for charcoal to start peat burning for coke and then a finishing forge was built using the expensive black steel anvil.  A weeks work saw a number of clumps of goethite result in pure iron which was then hardened into an iron bar.  The next step would be tricky but Rith had devised a plan where the finishing forge would be dismantled and the anvil used to create a forge where a second anvil could be crafted.  Infact he fuly intended to create several, the black steel would be more useful somewhere else and the first could eventually be remelted.

The new Dining room that was used as the community's meeting point was fitted with the recently-crafted stone furniture but masonry work was stopped shortly after when a peculiar event occured.
It was toward the very end of winter, on a day that began badly as the copper battle axe brought to the fort by Lupusater vanished mysteriously.  Nothing had been seen and yet it was gone, when Rith asked around it emerged that the weapon had lain in the surface stockpile and had never been moved underground.

It was a few hours later that DwarfyDwarf emerged from the area beneath the aquifer with a strange empty look in his eyes.  He marched directly to the Masons workshop, where he thrust Zrk2 aside.
"Hey!" said Zrk2, "What gives?"
DwarfyDwarf said nothing, but immediately started construction of something complex looking from the rock that Zrk2 had been about to begin crafting into a table.
Zrk2 backed away licking his lips nervously before wondering away toward the meeting hall looking confused.

Rith heard shortly later when he returned with a tree he had felled and was a little disconcerted.  These strange moods gripped dwarves from time to time, he had seen a case or two back home.  But dwarves usually produced something they often worked with, just of such sublime beauty and effortless quality that they were works of art.  The masons workshop seemed an unusual choice for a miner, and Zrk2 had said that the dwarf had simply begun working with the two lumps of chert already present so they knew what the piece would be made of.  Well only time would tell, there was a constant flurry of movement from the masons shop and the miner neither eat, slept or drank.  He simply worked and worked.  His eyes, though...  So empty.

(Pictures shortly)

« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 07:48:00 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes

GrizzleBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 05, 2010, 10:52:25 am »

Oh god whats it gonna be????
BTW I love this story. you are a great writer.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12