Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which one is better?

Dwarf Fortress
Minecraft
Both

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortess or Minecraft?  (Read 49980 times)

Camden1990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortess or Minecraft?
« Reply #330 on: March 07, 2011, 12:29:17 pm »

@thvaz:
I think he Duke was making a point that it should be YOUR opinion, but the way you seem to have decided that Minecraft is better than DF, full stop, and that's why you like it isn't really applicable. DF is a better game FOR YOU.

Anyway, I can easily see the enjoyment of both games, I prefer DF for its depth and variety, but I like Minecraft for playing with my friends, I don't play it much on its own though - its a bit of a lonely game I feel.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 07, 2011, 12:49:52 pm »

@thvaz:
I think he Duke was making a point that it should be YOUR opinion, but the way you seem to have decided that Minecraft is better than DF, full stop, and that's why you like it isn't really applicable. DF is a better game FOR YOU.

Anyway, I can easily see the enjoyment of both games, I prefer DF for its depth and variety, but I like Minecraft for playing with my friends, I don't play it much on its own though - its a bit of a lonely game I feel.

Of course is my opinion, it's not as such I am an authority in anything. I did not make my opinion based solely on my tastes though.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 12:52:14 pm by thvaz »

dragoncurse

• Bay Watcher
  • if patience.Huge = fortress.FUN.Huge
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 07, 2011, 01:29:16 pm »

Both.

But meh, I think Toady and Notch should make a collab game.

I think it would be epic than both games together.
:3

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 07, 2011, 01:40:37 pm »

One game is better than another because of these objective facts. I dislike it, but some people out there may like it.
Alright, I can respect that.

This game is much better because of these subjective facts. I will make no attempt to account for different tastes.
What I'm seeing, basically.

I didn't really get riled up over this until

And it is superior because I like it.
Was said. Your entire argument was subjective and your conclusion was objective. I just needed to step in and mark this as silly.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 07, 2011, 04:40:02 pm »

Both.

But meh, I think Toady and Notch should make a collab game.

I think it would be epic than both games together.
After 10+ years on DF and minecraft x.xx that would be epic.
but I want my complete simulator first  :P
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 07, 2011, 04:58:38 pm »

DF. I still play some solo Minecraft, but I pretty much gave it up after one of the people on our server started planting hidden short-circuited bassnote noteblocks under our buildings to create constant, massive amounts of obnoxious noise.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 07, 2011, 05:39:15 pm »

Griefers gonna grief.

Anyways, I was about to post the same thing about a Toady-Notch collaboration project. Then get Andrew Hussie to give it a storyline.

Slazia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 07, 2011, 10:31:44 pm »

Both good games, but apples and oranges.

Minecraft is a simple, short fun thing.

DF is an epic masterpiece that can be played for decades. The depth is beyond comparison.

I have MC, but havent played in ages. DF on the other hand, I always come back to every week or so.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #338 on: March 07, 2011, 11:23:16 pm »

Then get Andrew Hussie to give it a storyline.
Player: "Crap, a siege. I'll send my crossbow dwarves to deal with it!"

s-b-k-Enter

DF: "The flying key strikes the goblin lasher in the head, but the attack glances away!"
Player: "FUUUUUUUUU-"
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Zodel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 08, 2011, 03:18:43 pm »

"The original idea was to make a game similar to Dwarf Fortress in tone, but with a Rollercoaster Tycoon type interface," Persson explained. "As I was playing around with a first person mode I stumbled upon a game called Infiniminer that used low-res textures in a 3D environment, and I realized that that was a perfect fit for both my artistic skills and the type of game I wanted to make. "

So if Dwarf fortress wasn't here to give Notch said thoughts before creating minecraft...?

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 08, 2011, 03:41:09 pm »

"The original idea was to make a game similar to Dwarf Fortress in tone, but with a Rollercoaster Tycoon type interface," Persson explained. "As I was playing around with a first person mode I stumbled upon a game called Infiniminer that used low-res textures in a 3D environment, and I realized that that was a perfect fit for both my artistic skills and the type of game I wanted to make. "

So if Dwarf fortress wasn't here to give Notch said thoughts before creating minecraft...?

It may have been now, but he would have been inspired to make the game regardless.

As far as I can see, Minecraft is a hunk of Dwarf fortress, a hunk of Infiniminer, thrown in with a horrible person to run it, mixed around, throwing in some graphics and multiplayer and then charging for it.

Minecraft wouldn't exist without dwarf fortress, and if it did, it would be much... I dont want to think about it.

I see minecraft as being there for the annoying population to amuse themself with, then when the occasional diamond in the plain sea of rocks finds minecraft, they become curious, and find their way here, to a much better game.

Minecraft is like a wallgrate. Keeps the crap out, lets the good stuff in.

This is incredibly elitist and asinine. Minecraft is perfectly good in its own right, just as DF is, and the existence of one game isn't going to exalt the community of another, wholly separate game. Bay12 isn't the pinnacle of intelligent gaming, no matter how much we want to think so, and user-friendliness does not make for a horrible or dumb game.

In fact, there are many people who stay away from DF precisely because of its UI; not because they are too dumb or impatient to learn it, but because it really is a hostile and disorganised interface.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 08, 2011, 06:11:30 pm »

Bay12 isn't the pinnacle of intelligent gaming,
Really?

What surpasses it in this arena?

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 08, 2011, 07:06:00 pm »

DF is a deep game, but not all that intelligence-pressing. Try a 6d platformer. Seems like a biatch, right? Well, once you get used to moving in 6 dimensions, it shouldn't be too difficult.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 08, 2011, 11:56:36 pm »

DF is a deep game, but not all that intelligence-pressing. Try a 6d platformer. Seems like a biatch, right? Well, once you get used to moving in 6 dimensions, it shouldn't be too difficult.
those are fun.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

LShadow

• Bay Watcher
  • The moon's on fire!
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 09, 2011, 08:22:18 pm »

Dimensionality should be a world-gen option. I mean, without it we're SOL if the string theorists are right.

That being said, I haven't tried Minecraft. I always feel dirty if I try something that's got mainstream appeal; it breaks the illusion that I'm not sheeple. Also, Dwarf Fortress is the game that I've wanted to make since I was a kid. It just feels right that someone out there went and did it.
What is hydrogen? It's a substance which, if you leave enough of it sitting around long enough, completely unsupervised, becomes life that eventually evolves into something complicated enough to ask the question 'What is hydrogen?'
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27