Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which one is better?

Dwarf Fortress
Minecraft
Both

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortess or Minecraft?  (Read 49977 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortess or Minecraft?
« Reply #300 on: December 08, 2010, 08:46:58 pm »

Oh don't give me that 'MC has the horror aspect behind it'. Yes, the zombies are creepy, and having one moan in your ear does build tension... That is until you man up and go out at night, and find they are a lot easier to handle then you thought. Once you take a look under the bed, so to speak, there is nothing there but dust bunnys.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 08, 2010, 09:04:25 pm »

Not that. The mining, hear a hiss, turning around, and having a Creeper blow up in your face.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #302 on: December 08, 2010, 09:31:29 pm »

It's true, Minecraft can make you crap your pants pretty easily, and it keeps you on edge. Constantly. And I play it wearing headphones for some insane reason.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Anticipation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 08, 2010, 09:56:50 pm »

Lets be honest now, who here hasn't crapped their pants when a mega-beast/army has arrived and you know your defence isn't anywhere near good enough to save the fortress. Dwarf Fortress tension comes from knowing that all you've worked for can be lost.
Reality is like a wasps nest, stay away and you won't get stung.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #304 on: December 08, 2010, 10:07:02 pm »

Lets be honest now, who here hasn't crapped their pants when a mega-beast/army has arrived and you know your defence isn't anywhere near good enough to save the fortress. Dwarf Fortress tension comes from knowing that all you've worked for can be lost.
Also true. Minecraft fear is pure shock value as you turn around to see a creeper ready to explode in your face. DF fear is a lot more subtle, like when you've been working on your megafort for ten years, when suddenly a humanoid porcupine titan shows up and starts massacring everybody. "STOP PARTYING AND PULL THE LEVER, DAMMIT!"
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #305 on: December 08, 2010, 10:16:57 pm »

I only got scared in the beginning of starting to play MC. I started on Hard and have stayed on hard.

I have yet to have a Creeper show up behind me and blow to smithereens, I have yet to figuratively "crap my pants". I am however a cautious and careful player. I bring torches (lighting those dark areas prevents monsters spawn...), I bring a sword and/or a bow if I can. My opinion, once you know how to play and don't get scared of a moan from a zombie, you'll be perfectly fine.

Dwarf Fortress is a bit more scary, not in a TssssOMGNOOOO-Boom standpoint, but the, I've been spending x amount of weeks on this and am now going to attempt something... Que invading army or convenient fly titan... NOOOOOO!!!! I thought I closed up all those holes in my (name of project here)! Quickly! Build a wall! Dwarf sees titan, flees at the last second before wall is completed and your dining room is safe.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 08, 2010, 11:17:07 pm »

DF horror really pops up in adventure mode, where you're trying to get to the nearest town before dark and fail, attempting to flee the waves of bogeymen and surviving by the skin of your teeth as you collapse in the nearest hut. Especially since even injury can cripple an otherwise successful adventurer- the penalty for screwing up is much higher in DF than Minecraft.

Much like Minecraft, however, a lot of the horror dissipates once you take some basic precautions.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #307 on: December 08, 2010, 11:29:04 pm »

MC precautions... Lots of torches and keep things well lit.

DF precautions... More meat shields.

I can't say much about adventure mode though. I haven't really played it. Do bogeymen show up only in Adventure mode? What is a bogeyman?
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #308 on: December 08, 2010, 11:33:38 pm »

MC precautions... Lots of torches and keep things well lit.

DF precautions... More meat shields.

I can't say much about adventure mode though. I haven't really played it. Do bogeymen show up only in Adventure mode? What is a bogeyman?
Hordes of obnoxious... things that follow you around, biting and cursing at you if you go outside at night. They gang up on you and beat you to death. I've only narrowly escaped them many times.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #309 on: December 08, 2010, 11:50:11 pm »

I'd give adventure mode a try, but it for some reason (without a good tutorial that I've yet to find.) is beyond my ability.. or patience.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 09, 2010, 12:12:38 am »

I didn't get into adventure mode until the latest release. It's pretty arcade-y for an RPG, so if you already play DF and can get your head around that then it is just a matter of learning the buttons.

General Use:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Adventure_Mode_quick_reference

Travel Map:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Adventure_mode#Traveling

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #311 on: December 09, 2010, 12:14:51 am »

I didn't get into adventure mode until the latest release. It's pretty arcade-y for an RPG, so if you already play DF and can get your head around that then it is just a matter of learning the buttons.

General Use:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Adventure_Mode_quick_reference

Travel Map:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Adventure_mode#Traveling
Alrighty, thanks :)

I'd like to point out this is probably my biggest deciding factor for why Dwarf Fortress is so awesome. (No, not the community, although you do all rock. XD) Is that you have your RTS styled gameplay, which is something I'm very fond of. Then you have this adventure mode, which seems like it'd fill the niche of myself of enjoying games like Diablo 2. Except... more awesome.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 09, 2010, 06:59:01 am »

I've only survived two bogeymen attacks, and I've had 8 dead adventurers
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 09, 2010, 08:11:31 pm »

Can I also assume you finished Cave Story, Vertigon?
That game made me so sad the first time I played through, and got the air bubble.

Yes indeed. I got every ending, and my favorite weapon is the Spur. Spur.... *-*

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: March 06, 2011, 11:17:53 pm »

471 to 145, But I'd need a link to really be sure.

If it were dwarf fortress trolling, we'd have swamped them 100%
http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=89145
I can't help myself laugh when i see this.

I though that was clever when someone said Dwarf Fortress looks like this

I was one of the 10 votes for never heard of minecraft  ;D
Also, if you look at the link, you will see that the matrix post was made by Berserkenstein(me) :D

I used to play minecraft a bit, but it never could compare with DF. 
I stopped playing it only after a short time and I check back after every patch but it hasn't changed much. 
It also doesn't help that there are complete morons there now as well as others who try to emulate the ever so trendy 4channer trolls with their unoriginal memes. 
It is a shame since the minecraft forums used to be a lot like here before the game became so popular.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 11:24:21 pm by Berserkenstein »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27