Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which one is better?

Dwarf Fortress
Minecraft
Both

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortess or Minecraft?  (Read 49995 times)

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortess or Minecraft?
« Reply #315 on: March 06, 2011, 11:34:11 pm »

I played Minecraft for a bit, and I can see why it appeals to some.

However, frankly, I tend to mostly get bored of videogames pretty quickly, and Minecraft is no exception. Indeed, in Minecraft, I tend to feel super lonely—it's kind of a lonely game (no other even virtual people to interact with), out in the wilderness by yourself.

Anyway, I can totally see why people really like it, but it isn't really my type of game.

Dwarf Fortress, on the other hand—I have probably gotten more enjoyment out of DF than out of any other videogame I've ever played. No other videogame has been able to hold my attention half as long. If DF keeps being developed for the next 5 or so years (and I keep playing videogames at all), I imagine I'll end up having played DF more than all other videogames combined.

Zodel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 07, 2011, 07:30:53 am »

As far as I can see, Minecraft is a hunk of Dwarf fortress, a hunk of Infiniminer, thrown in with a horrible person to run it, mixed around, throwing in some graphics and multiplayer and then charging for it.

Minecraft wouldn't exist without dwarf fortress, and if it did, it would be much... I dont want to think about it.

I see minecraft as being there for the annoying population to amuse themself with, then when the occasional diamond in the plain sea of rocks finds minecraft, they become curious, and find their way here, to a much better game.

Minecraft is like a wallgrate. Keeps the crap out, lets the good stuff in.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 07, 2011, 07:35:34 am »

As far as I can see, Minecraft is a hunk of Dwarf fortress, a hunk of Infiniminer, thrown in with a horrible person to run it, mixed around, throwing in some graphics and multiplayer and then charging for it.

Minecraft wouldn't exist without dwarf fortress, and if it did, it would be much... I dont want to think about it.

I see minecraft as being there for the annoying population to amuse themself with, then when the occasional diamond in the plain sea of rocks finds minecraft, they become curious, and find their way here, to a much better game.

Minecraft is like a wallgrate. Keeps the crap out, lets the good stuff in.
I'm sorry, but that's kinda elitist...

Personally, I think of them this way:
 - Minecraft: Legos. Yes, basically legos. You can make lots of stuff with legos but it can get boring.
 - DF: A programming studio that likes to throw traps and obstacles at you. It's hard to do, but stays enjoyable more.
Please post if that made any sort of sense to you.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 07, 2011, 07:47:31 am »

Erm, no. There isn't even an option for opinion here, Minecraft could and would exist and thrive without Dwarf Fortress. As people have said, they are virtual legos. There really isn't a need to have a convoluted fantasy story generator in development to enjoy that.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 07, 2011, 08:04:29 am »

"Sandbox" gameplay has been a favourite of mine for a long time. But where most games have some sort of background framework, the wooden planks making the sides of the sandbox if you will, Minecraft is just a pile of sand.

Sorta kidding, I do get it. And I do think it's awesome, but it is not for me.

What I think is awesome though, is that Notch has been able to capitalize on his passion, and is now starting up a studio filled with awesome people. I trust Mojang will bring forth some serious artifact creations in the future, and the Minecraft fanboys will all cry about how it's not a sequel or it's not sequel enough.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 07, 2011, 10:36:23 am »

Minecraft. You build something awesome, then you have to show it to someone. If there isn't someone to show, it loses its point, and becomes boring.

Dwarf Fortress show the awesome to you. You don't need to build it - you can interact with it. You can share the awesome with others or you can keep it to yourself. It is your call.

ullrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 07, 2011, 10:40:35 am »

DF - complex, FREE, being developed

Minecraft - simple, Overpriced (are you kidding me $20 for a beta game that should retail for $10 [def not more than Magicka which kicks Minecrafts ass]), seems to be getting more developed my modders than the creater

So simply DF >>>>>> Minecraft.

Ullrich cancels Work: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
Dwarf Fortress: Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 07, 2011, 10:44:37 am »

Huzzah one aspect of both games means one is better than the other top notch judging A++.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 07, 2011, 11:01:05 am »

Huzzah one aspect of both games means one is better than the other top notch judging A++.

At least we can decide which one is better for us.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 07, 2011, 11:02:44 am »

Indeed, you can decide which one you prefer, but to decide on which is superior with such thinking irks me.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 07, 2011, 11:32:54 am »

Dwarf Fortress is in so many ways superior to Minecraft that I could write an essay about it. And it is superior because I like it.

First, I don't enjoy building megaprojects. It is pointless to me, but I can respect people who enjoy it.  Apart from a very brief "survival" experience in Minecraft, all there is to do is to build pointless castles, megapenis and such. There is so much more to do in DF, so many ways of having fun, for so many different tastes, it isn't even fair.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 07, 2011, 11:39:44 am »

And it is superior because I like it.
You may want to avoid stuff like this when people are questioning your argument for taking a personal thing and applying it globally.

And you have already stated why your argument is invalid. You don't make megaprojects, you don't build. You play games that apply to your tastes and that's okay. If a game comes out that focuses mainly on megaprojects it won't be a game for you simply because you don't enjoy that aspect. However, many people play Dwarf Fortress to build megaprojects and enjoy both games equally. And there are so many ways of making better megaprojects in Minecraft that it isn't even fair. This assums that a number of features ever means anything, as one very good gameplay mechanic of placing blocks is better than a million small terrible mechanics.

I'm not saying any game is better than the other as they both have very different focuses for very different tastes, but to say one is any better than another is silly. It's all up to the player to try them out and judge for themself.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 07, 2011, 11:55:08 am »

I'm not saying any game is better than the other as they both have very different focuses for very different tastes, but to say one is any better than another is silly. It's all up to the player to try them out and judge for themself.

Indeed.

edit.

I'm not arguing who is wrong or right, I did try them out and judged for myself: DF is a lot more worthy than Minecraft. You may have a different taste and like Minecraft better. It's alright.

But the point is, I can compare both and say which one is better.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 11:59:54 am by thvaz »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 07, 2011, 11:56:46 am »

Indeed.
Of course.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 07, 2011, 12:02:34 pm »

Indeed.
Of course.

And what am I doing? Or can't I say my opinion?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27