Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which one is better?

Dwarf Fortress
Minecraft
Both

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortess or Minecraft?  (Read 49957 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortess or Minecraft?
« Reply #345 on: March 09, 2011, 10:05:28 pm »

if you automatically shy away from things mainstream without consideration, you are just as much a sheeple as if you automatically get mainstream games without consideration.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 09, 2011, 10:31:27 pm »

if you automatically shy away from things mainstream without consideration, you are just as much a sheeple as if you automatically get mainstream games without consideration.

So... black sheeple of the family?

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 09, 2011, 11:21:07 pm »

So... black sheeple of the family?
Now, now, no need to be racist. "Alternately Colored" is the politically correct term.

LShadow

• Bay Watcher
  • The moon's on fire!
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 09, 2011, 11:39:43 pm »

Stop it! You're breaking the illusion! <hands over ears> lalalalalalala
What is hydrogen? It's a substance which, if you leave enough of it sitting around long enough, completely unsupervised, becomes life that eventually evolves into something complicated enough to ask the question 'What is hydrogen?'

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 10, 2011, 02:22:05 am »

entire thread in one sitting...
Bay12 threads are always awesome to watch derail and derail and derail and rerail and derail again
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 10, 2011, 02:49:42 am »

/thanks once again to xkcd
Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 10, 2011, 12:06:54 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

/thanks once again to xkcd
...but I am...
Aren't I?
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 10, 2011, 01:58:21 pm »

Don't worry.  You're all beautiful and unique snowflakes, just like everyone else.  And you'll all end up a brown-and-yellow messy slushpile once the cleansing heat of magma rains down upon us all, just like everyone else.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 10, 2011, 03:45:24 pm »

don't worry folks, I can tell you apart.
*looks at avatar*^
It all ends in a ball of flame.^
Nuclear explosions are the most fun to see from the top.^

@vogonpoet: ninja. NINJA.
I use ninjutsu on you.^

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 10, 2011, 07:19:50 pm »

I was lead to DF after playing Minecraft for a pretty long while.  I picked up Minecraft again after playing DF for a few months now, and I gotta say, I was just a little bored.  Minecraft is a great game, and it's a lot of fun if you can keep yourself working toward something... but I really lack for motivation and creativity.  When I play, I build little holes-in-the-wall hideouts and end up either right above the adminium level, trying to collect as many diamonds as I can, or throw everything to the wind and just wander around in caverns or outside in search of interesting quirks in the world generation.  Those are both very fun, but for me they can wear a little thin after awhile ("How many stacks of diamonds do I REALLY need?," "How many hanging-mountain-cliff things have I seen before?").  I can see how smart, creative players can get almost unlimited fun from the game, but the kind of stuff I want to do with the world ends up being somewhat monotonous or pointless.

Also, after playing DF, Minecraft just doesn't seem to have enough meaningful variables.  All that cool stuff you can do with the physics and different blocks, but a lot of the time I felt like those things existed for the sake of themselves alone (how I've heard people describe the whole game, really).  Right before I set down MC the first time, I built a pretty big compound with a neat furnace building, house, glass overlook, and a massive storage building, but I got frustrated when I realized that the 10x10x3 room I dug out at the beginning of the game served essentially the same purpose, but without a bunch of walking around.  The satisfaction of looking upon your own well-designed creation is sort of lost on me.  Roleplaying was fun for awhile, but again, variables... I'm a wanderer or I'm a developer, and I never saw much to do with those that wasn't without some relevant game feature to add the experience (nutrition? value? real or diverse danger elements?).

I don't think the two games are easy to properly compare, but when you get down to the refuse-gravel, you're doing the same sorts of things in both--diggin' down and makin' stuff.  They are both really fun, regardless of which I prefer, but DF is just more interesting to me as the sort of player that I am.

manboricua

• Bay Watcher
  • After the 50th Fort, I'm getting the hang of this!
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 12, 2011, 01:02:50 pm »

Dwarf Fortress all the way, and beyond!
Loving life every second

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #356 on: March 12, 2011, 01:23:05 pm »

I voted 'both' but in my defense, I though they were asking if I liked pancakes or waffles.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #357 on: March 12, 2011, 07:25:47 pm »

We need to add Delve Deeper and... like... Dig-Dug to the list. For variety.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 12, 2011, 10:18:55 pm »

And Spelunkey. I mean, it's basically the same thing, right? [/eyeroll]

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #359 on: March 13, 2011, 11:29:25 pm »

And Spelunkey. I mean, it's basically the same thing, right? [/eyeroll]
...That was kind of my point.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 27