Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 251

Author Topic: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!  (Read 211112 times)

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #2775 on: November 15, 2013, 06:30:26 pm »

the turret has crazy armor on paper, but it also has a weak spot about as large as australia.
the front is rather easy to pen, not only at the weak spot but on the whole front. if the tank is angled, the front is save, but the side is penned very easy.
as with all armor in wot, relaying on armor is always a bad idea - especially since every other shell this day is premium ammo anyhow.
now, i do not say the t29 is a bad tank - i realy love it. but its not the armor it a good tank, but the incredible gun.

Thats because good american heavy tanks start at tier 7 everything before it is junk meant to be trampled by KV-1
so you never tried the m4 with howizer then? you realy should. will make you lots of moneys, and save you from writhing stuff like that.
for the m6, i dont like it neither - tho my service record says its my second best tank %) i gues in wots its all about the gun, and the 90mm realy is a good gun especially in tier6.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 06:51:03 pm by motorbitch »

serephe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World of Tanks: F2P MMOFPS with tanks - Join in-game "Bay 12 Games" channel!
« Reply #2776 on: November 15, 2013, 06:53:47 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The first time I've actually managed to play active scout decently and I did it in the awfulpanther without the top engine. 3.6km traveled, 6630 spotting damage, 1110 potential damage received. 310xp more than the next highest on our team. The experience allowed me to unlock the top engine which means I'm now done with the tank.

As annoying as the tank was stock with that pathetic 50mm gun, I have really grown to like the tank as a whole since unlocking the 2nd turret.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: November 15, 2013, 08:32:27 pm »

the turret has crazy armor on paper, but it also has a weak spot about as large as australia

Haha what? The T29's cupola is pretty damn small.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: November 15, 2013, 08:36:21 pm »

the turret has crazy armor on paper, but it also has a weak spot about as large as australia

Especially from the front.
It's kinda exposed from the side but still small.

Speaking of armor... where the hell are you supposed to shoot a maus when its parked right in front of you?
The lower glacis becomes immune (angle) and nothing short of blasting the turret with gold seems to work.
Note that i'm only driving a tier 8 tank.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: November 15, 2013, 08:49:58 pm »

Speaking of armor... where the hell are you supposed to shoot a maus when its parked right in front of you?
The lower glacis becomes immune (angle) and nothing short of blasting the turret with gold seems to work.
Note that i'm only driving a tier 8 tank.

Those are the only places :P Luckily seeing a Maus isn't all that common, esp as a t8. Just shoot the flattest part of the turret w/gold, that's all you can really do. If he's not angled the lower glacis is ok since its completely flat, but with any angle it becomes immune to most T8 AP rounds.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: November 15, 2013, 09:13:51 pm »

That's about what I was going to say. Looking at it dead-on, it's about the smallest cupola there is among the T6-8 heavies, in terms of the area you can hit. Sure, it's a decent target from the side, but if you're in a T29 being shot at from the side, you're doing it wrong.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Habbadax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cackling Cavalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: November 15, 2013, 09:27:29 pm »

I finally got my T29 a little while ago, finally built up the credits, and so far, I'm kinda loving it, despite it being slightly undergunned, and almost hilariously sluggish

The turret is a marvelous piece of armor, and the hull isn't half bad to boot, I've already had the opportunity to go hull-down and had a grand old time, but what sticks out the most to me is the gun declination, oh my god the gun declination, it's a far cry from the Ruskie heavies that I've grown so accustomed to, it makes hills less of a pain to fight on, and gives me some nice shots that I wouldn't have been able to pull off otherwise

I'm looking forward to getting it properly kitted out, but for some reason I'm more looking forward to getting my new loader up to 100%, having to recruit a fresh loader bothered me out of proportion

While I was building up the credits, there was a slight detour to buy some equipment while the sale was on, which has turned my S-51 into a wonderfully hellish beast to behold, and it doesn't even have the 203 yet, the accuracy of the 152 becomes downright scary once the crew hits 100%, and with a rammer and laying drive dropping the reload and aim time, I can send out marvelous amounts of effective fire

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: November 15, 2013, 10:20:33 pm »

The main issue I have with my S-51 is the traverse angle on the gun. You have to shift your hull if your target is moving at all, which fucks your accuracy. It's great, but only against campers and narrow lanes of travel.

3. Run Resize Enable

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: November 16, 2013, 04:11:43 am »

So, I kinda ended up in an actual clan not to long ago and got to participate in my first clan wars ever, kinda interesting I won't lie, wasn't like tier 10 clan wars since its apparently limited to tier 6 at the moment but still pretty interesting. Actually having to rehearse the battle is something new to me.

Only problem with the clan is that they nag me to try and get through IS-8 faster but that's just not going to happen, I don't grind tanks. (Except for forcing my way to the Nashorn, but I mean I've waited ages for the Nashorn, getting it fast was a priority)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 04:18:19 am by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: November 16, 2013, 04:22:50 am »

The T29 while awesome and borderline OP (the front armour is pretty great if you angle it, but you don't angle it sideways, you angle it on inclines so it's horizontal angle becomes much much better, approaching autobounce angles), what I liked more than it tho is the T32. Now the gun having less pen than its peers at T8 takes some getting used to, but the trade off is that you get a smaller, more mobile and better armoured T29, which works wonderfully.
You also learn how facehugging is a viable and awesome tactic to use against scary tanks, the number of T9 tanks that I've soloed in that thing is ridicilous (a particularly ragey IS-4 comes to mind).
Then you get to the M103 which has somewhat shittier armour (thinner but much more rounded so you're relying on RNG more than raw armour thickness), is much bigger but gets access to the godlike 120mm :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: November 17, 2013, 03:13:23 am »

Speaking of T29s and rage, I just got accused of hacking by a guy driving one after I one-shotted him from full health with my S-51. Ehehe, it's a pain to land shots, and you've got nearly a minute of reload even with 100% crew, but it's funny watching people freak when they go from sparkling new to dead or near-dead in an instant. I mean, shit, the arty line keeps that same cannon all the way up to T9, IIRC. The only way to make it better would be to give it a sane gun traverse angle.

3. Run Resize Enable

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: November 17, 2013, 04:20:47 am »

I remember something similar with my SU-152 (or was it the ISU?), using the derp gun I placed a HE round into the ass of a T29. Bam, 1k damage and an instant fire. I burst out laughing at how silly it was :D

Also if you guys haven't, I reccomend you go and get yourself a Wz-131/2 they're awesome machines, mobility of a scout, firepower of a tier higher medium, it's just beautiful when you get dropped into a T7/8 match and instead of just scouting, you go and do the most damage on your team and murder pretty much everything you get a jump on.
AS - IG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: November 17, 2013, 12:00:18 pm »

I've been slowly working my way up to them, but I dislike the Type T-34 grind for the same reason that I avoided the T-34 and took the roundabout way into the T-43. Which, frankly, I don't regret. It's only better now that the new T-50-2 leads into the KV-13, because both of them are completely ridiculous vehicles. I'm actually not minding the replacement a terrible lot, either, because the new one has something like a 5kph increase on max speed.

3. Run Resize Enable

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: November 17, 2013, 12:03:15 pm »

So, I kinda ended up in an actual clan not to long ago and got to participate in my first clan wars ever, kinda interesting I won't lie, wasn't like tier 10 clan wars since its apparently limited to tier 6 at the moment but still pretty interesting. Actually having to rehearse the battle is something new to me.

Only problem with the clan is that they nag me to try and get through IS-8 faster but that's just not going to happen, I don't grind tanks. (Except for forcing my way to the Nashorn, but I mean I've waited ages for the Nashorn, getting it fast was a priority)

What clan? I don't see why they'd want to rush someone to a IS-7 of all tanks  :-\

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: November 17, 2013, 12:22:46 pm »

I think it's more that it's his only T9 tank than anything else, as any T10 is better than none. Plus IS-7 pretty decent for certain tactics (breaktroughs and quick securing of areas, since it's the fastest T10 heavy that is actually pretty decently armoured (ignoring the gold ammo for a moment here, because that negates most armour on most tanks)) and my clan uses it quite a bit (that might be due to most folks having it tho and not much else).

Also why didn't you exactly like the T-34 FD?

I find it to be one of my most favourite tanks, heck, one of the rare T5 tanks that has two skills on its crew for me, the combination of a 2 second reload with decent pen and accuracy makes for some really fun times as people dismiss the low damage at first, only to find themselves dangerously low after a few seconds.
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 251