Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1514 1515 [1516] 1517 1518 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2377557 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #22725 on: March 20, 2021, 12:56:24 am »

Opened the doors to smother a fire, only for the fire to destroy the door controls so I couldn't close the doors again.  Everyone died in the flames or suffocated not long after.

FTL.

I'm beginning to question if it's possible to beat this game on normal difficulty.  I've made it to the flagship several times, and the final phase twice, but I've yet to beat it.  Last time I messed up by not teleporting boarders into the missile bay as soon as I could on phase three, meaning I got roflstomped within a few volleys of missiles and all the lasers ever.  I was doing well until then.

I haven't made it past sector 3 since that attempt.  Was doing well once until I ran into a random zoltan ship with a glaive beam, 3 shield barriers and a burst laser in sector 3.  It knocked out 70% of my health before I was able to jump away, only to land in another fight with an identical ship.  The game decided it was just time for me to lose.

After that, I died with the fires mentioned above somewhere in sector 1.  Then died somewhere when a random event spawned 3 rock guys in my ship, who then destroyed my medical bay and door controls so I couldn't suffocate them or fight them since I still only had the 3 starting human crew.  I gave up on a dozen runs within sector 1 due to things like drone ships with a beam drone, laser drone and burst laser than do like 50% hull damage in one fight, or random events that eat a crew member on the first jump, etc.  Was doing well again until I got to to sector 3 again with weapons I was literally incapable of penetrating the enemy ships' shields with due to bad RNG at the stores.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22726 on: March 20, 2021, 06:55:06 pm »

The game throws a very large wave of creatures at me during some dialogue shortly after the beginning phase of the mission. Since the beginning of this mission has you dealing with an issue with resource income, I hadn't had the time to build up my army. My own pack is quickly roflstomped and it's impossible to stop the enemy since they're camping the combiner and creatures are produced one at a time. Nor did I have the resource to build a force strong enough to fight them off even if that wasn't the issue.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #22727 on: March 20, 2021, 07:51:11 pm »

I technically didn't die, but...

I jumped into Grand Exchange with my travel drive active.  The problem is that there's a trade station planted right in front of the jump gate.  I clocked it going something like 10 km/s, fast enough for the game's object loading and/or collision detection to glitch out and ram me *through* the outer hull into the station model.  My poor little M5 barely survived, but being thoroughly embedded into the station's superstructure, was unable to get back out.  The usual trick to getting out, teleporting the pilot out or moving the camera far enough away that the game stops doing collision detection, foundered on (a) not having teleporters researched and (b) this being my first visit to Grand Exchange this game, leaving me with no target far enough away to move the camera to.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22728 on: March 20, 2021, 07:53:48 pm »

The game throws a very large wave of creatures at me during some dialogue shortly after the beginning phase of the mission. Since the beginning of this mission has you dealing with an issue with resource income, I hadn't had the time to build up my army. My own pack is quickly roflstomped and it's impossible to stop the enemy since they're camping the combiner and creatures are produced one at a time. Nor did I have the resource to build a force strong enough to fight them off even if that wasn't the issue.

I remember playing quite a bit of that years ago. I loved the game in concept but kinda hated actually playing it in practice, largely for reasons like what you just described. Though at least at the time I couldn't tell whether that was the game's fault or mine (since I'm garbage at RTSes at the best of times).

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22729 on: March 23, 2021, 02:23:15 am »

Wild bulls can apparently go off and tell Paladins where you are if you're sneaking.

Not only are they apparently intelligent enough to somehow communicate your location, they're fucking narcs.

Kenshi
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22730 on: March 23, 2021, 03:48:54 pm »

The bulls are clearly loyal servants of Okran. What were you doing that you needed to hide, brother?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22731 on: March 24, 2021, 05:32:13 am »

Not my fault they're a bunch of bass-ackwards religious zealots. All I wanted was to steal the technology from Narko's Trap.

Anyway, Vicky's back to its usual tricks. I'm struggling to win battles because the AI rolls high numbers while I'm in a perpetual state of zeroes, ones and twos.

Hl_Handgranate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22732 on: March 24, 2021, 07:13:05 am »

Plan:         1) put knife in backpack 2) activate grenade           3) throw grenade and run
Execution: 1) activate granade       2) put grenade in backpack 3) throw backpack panically and not quite far enough

Love the container system in CDDA!
“A floor is just a wall that’s horizontal. It’s the same thing.”
“That’s the dumbest thing you’ve ever said.”

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #22733 on: March 24, 2021, 08:04:14 am »

Look, if you’re going to panic and do things without thinking in a turn-based game, I’m not sure any amount of design will help you...

Hl_Handgranate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22734 on: March 24, 2021, 08:34:44 am »

Look, if you’re going to panic and do things without thinking in a turn-based game, I’m not sure any amount of design will help you...
I accept that. But then RPG is about immersion isn't it ^^
“A floor is just a wall that’s horizontal. It’s the same thing.”
“That’s the dumbest thing you’ve ever said.”

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #22735 on: March 24, 2021, 12:00:19 pm »

Fair enough. In other news...

I'm having a really hard time surviving Prestige 7 Brawl as Rook. I'm really not sure what combinations of cards are effective for Battle or Negotiation, and since you don't get any cards if you lose a Negotiation...

Things can get rather unpleasant.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22736 on: March 24, 2021, 03:06:13 pm »

Killed the final boss, but I was still in physical contact with him and took contact damage and died as he died. I think that was the only time in the entire playthrough that that happen, despite it being possible with every single boss.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22737 on: March 24, 2021, 09:27:42 pm »

The boss keeps splitting whenever you hit it, eventually flooding the entire map, changing color each time.

My mage is buffed to the gills, dealing AoE damage, hitting like a ton of bricks, and exploding to hit everything in range whenever it scores a kill... leading to massive chain reactions of death.

Yeah, this is going to be an easy fight. Wait... why did my team just implode?

[Deals 20 damage to adjacent tiles on death.]

Edit: How did I die THIS time, on Hard+5? THE EXACT SAME FREAKIN' REASON.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 08:17:27 pm by Aoi »
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22738 on: March 25, 2021, 10:20:56 am »

Tell guy to wait at shop entrance.

Guy's mental process: "Well, he's wanting me at the entrance so I can lockpick my way in and steal books... I can do that without his input!"

Followed by attempting to bash the door down which alerts every guard in a three mile radius.

Kenshi

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22739 on: March 25, 2021, 03:18:30 pm »

The game cheated me out of 100 groschen. I'm fairly certain I know the exact reason why, but I still feel completely cheated.

The quest after that(which starts immediately) one does not give me enough time to sell a large pile of meat before compelling me to ride out halfway across the map, and will take too much time to finish before the meat goes bad. The entire pile of meat has a value of nearly 300 groschen, so I'm cheated out of that money as well.

Then I blew a few speech checks, leaving me without backup when fighting a bandit that's somehow a master swordsman(he moves faster than some of the actual warriors I've fought) and who can tank an arrow through the head.

EDIT: Lost a fleet comprised of about half my total combat ships while on route to slap around a derelict
Spoiler: which is actually (click to show/hide)

On the way, the planet seemed to have disappeared. It's no longer on the map, and the node lines(playing as humans) to that planet disappeared... while my ships were still travelling along it. Also, there's a cluster of planets that are now completely disconnected from the node network in the same general area, despite me having already explored that cluster. I'm going to assume I'm dealing with the System Killer, because of course half my empire is going to be irrevocably erased from existence.

On the other hand, the ships I did lose wasn't much, since I've been putting more effort into freighters. I may or may not have just learned that you can adjust a slider on each planet's info to change between construction output to trade, creating demand for freighters which in turn creates a lot of income.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 01:17:43 pm by Akura »
Pages: 1 ... 1514 1515 [1516] 1517 1518 ... 1575