Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 924 925 [926] 927 928 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2370393 times)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #13875 on: February 03, 2015, 02:14:28 am »

Why does the Druid have an insanely game-changing card that restores eight health? Why can they have two of them in a single deck?

Hearthstone. I've leveled up the Mage and Rogue three times apiece, entirely because of losses against the Druid practice AI.

Once you're more experienced with the game you'll realise that the card you're talking about is actually quite bad.

I recommend watching this guy if you want to get better.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13876 on: February 03, 2015, 08:52:15 am »

It appears the game is programmed to give you opponents specifically advantaged towards your team.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #13877 on: February 04, 2015, 08:11:19 am »

It appears the game is programmed to give you opponents specifically advantaged towards your team.

So rather than making a stylistic choice based upon what team you like the most, you're basically forced to make an uber-optimized 'competitive' team with all its weak points covered? Yaaaay.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13878 on: February 04, 2015, 08:39:01 am »

So rather than making a stylistic choice based upon what team you like the most, you're basically forced to make an uber-optimized 'competitive' team with all its weak points covered? Yaaaay.

Worse, that's not even really possible. Uber-tier Pokemon are banned, despite them using Pokemon that are on the ban-list. Apparently you cannot use multiples of hold items, though I see multiples of Leftovers all the time. You're also limited to three Pokemon, and they, especially E4 trainers who appear in the 5th round on, use 4 or more. Hell, I'm tempted to try and hack up a Wondereye or Wondertomb and see how many times I'm hit with Moonblast.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Professor Lemur

• Bay Watcher
  • Not as cool as your glasses, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13879 on: February 04, 2015, 11:02:11 am »

I don't see what the problem is. It sounds like a game made for the hardcore players who really, REALLY know what they're doing.
A lot of it is artificial difficulty I won't deny that. But it sounds like if you were expecting difficulty similar to X or Y then you're out of luck.

Back onto topic...
The Ghost Bear Dominion decided to invade the border planet of Mualang to expand. So far the campaign had gone swimmingly. With a great haul allowing me to create another regiment and enlist a couple Stars of Elementals, the Combine had basically been shit out of luck, managing to only kill the crew of a Scorpion tank.
This all changed in the final assault on the city which I dubbed Farlight.
In the Western Quadrant, my main attack force the 1st had run into big problems involving pavement and goddamn Urbanmechs. I used to laugh about that trashcan but it really comes into its own at packed locations. With a Griffin nursing a broken leg from a failed Building Climb, a Mad Cat that treated pavement like ice, a blackjack that was a punching bag for two Urbies and a Dragon, and a Jenner we were screwed because that was just one Lance.
Meanwhile the 2nd deployed in the south, was ambushed by an Urbie and a Macho.
The leader of the 2nd, Gendrick had his cockpit kicked in by said Macho, on his first round of combat, and promptly died.

So about twenty rounds later, after losing all but my Mad Cat and a brave Apollo, id finally reached the Town Hall. Then the enemy managed to deploy their assault Lance.

Much weeping was had, and then a reload.
You can lead a horse to water, you can leave your horse behind.
'Cause your horse don't dance and if he don't dance, then he's no horse of mine.
ASK ME ABOUT MY OBSCURELY LARGE MEKHQ ARMY

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #13880 on: February 04, 2015, 02:44:43 pm »

Professor Lemur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13881 on: February 04, 2015, 07:02:24 pm »

-snip-
Do we have a thread for MekHQ?
If there isn't, I'd be more than happy to start one. MekHQ is a great tool for me to sperg out over my beloved clanners.
'Cause your horse don't dance and if he don't dance, then he's no horse of mine.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #13882 on: February 04, 2015, 07:19:15 pm »

-snip-
Do we have a thread for MekHQ?
If there isn't, I'd be more than happy to start one. MekHQ is a great tool for me to sperg out over my beloved clanners.
Do it! I haven't the slightest clue how to work the fucking thing and I could use some help. We could start a group!

Professor Lemur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13883 on: February 04, 2015, 07:40:52 pm »

Well, just did a search and despite a mention on the LP BattleTech, there is indeed no mention of Megamek or MekHQ.
Await further notification, Mechwarrior!

Sly edit: I'll be busy at work for tomorrow morning, so a thread should be open in the afternoon. An IRC may be created to help with communications plus other stuff. If you wanna help with sharing files to allow for easy editing then I will greatly appreciate it.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 07:42:28 pm by Professor Lemur »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13884 on: February 05, 2015, 01:33:46 am »

This match was doomed from the start. I got two cards that cost five mana and one for six mana on the first draw. I replace all of them... and get three five-mana cards back. I don't even get a minion on the board until the sixth bloody turn, and by then it's far too late for me to do anything but concede.

Hearthstone. I have plenty of low-cost cards in my deck, why do I never seem to draw any of them?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #13885 on: February 05, 2015, 02:03:43 am »

Apparently firing all 55 of my bolts, in the form of dual wielded gold and heavy crossbows, is not enough to kill the Throne.

Nor was picking up the hyper rifle from the weapon chest and wildly firing all of my bullet ammo.  By the time the damn thing fired its larger weapons that give ammo, I had my back against the wall and was completely desperate.  At one health, I figured I might as well die with two crossbows in my hands and picked up my heavy crossbow again.  I was immediately winged by one of its machinegun bullets.

"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13886 on: February 05, 2015, 08:49:55 am »

I don't see what the problem is. It sounds like a game made for the hardcore players who really, REALLY know what they're doing.
A lot of it is artificial difficulty I won't deny that. But it sounds like if you were expecting difficulty similar to X or Y then you're out of luck.
The problem is, several of the teams I've seen being used to win these battles are very clearly hacked, or require many, many full playthroughs at least. Which does seem grating, since the game includes features to remove that kind of grinding. It's also supposed to be based off competitive play, only it violates the rules it forces you to comply with.

Professor Lemur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13887 on: February 05, 2015, 09:20:20 am »

The problem is, several of the teams I've seen being used to win these battles are very clearly hacked, or require many, many full playthroughs at least. Which does seem grating, since the game includes features to remove that kind of grinding. It's also supposed to be based off competitive play, only it violates the rules it forces you to comply with.
Yeah. Game devs do that. It's an easy way to include difficulty without having to try very hard. It's why we have rubber-band AI and a very pro-nuclear Gandhi in the Civ games.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #13888 on: February 05, 2015, 12:46:50 pm »

Yeah. Game devs do that. It's an easy way to include difficulty without having to try very hard. It's why we have rubber-band AI and a very pro-nuclear Gandhi in the Civ games.
Nuclear Gandhi is actually a nod to an old bug in the first game, rather than an attempt at making it more difficult. In the first Civ, Gandhi had an aggression rating of 0. Adopting democracy reduced an AI's aggression by two. Given how the counting worked, this made Gandhi's aggression rating become 255. On a scale from one to ten.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13889 on: February 05, 2015, 01:14:12 pm »

Nuclear Gandhi is actually a nod to an old bug in the first game, rather than an attempt at making it more difficult. In the first Civ, Gandhi had an aggression rating of 0. Adopting democracy reduced an AI's aggression by two. Given how the counting worked, this made Gandhi's aggression rating become 255. On a scale from one to ten.
Small note, this also usually happened right around the point where nuclear power was usually developed, which is why he is tied to nukes (as opposed to tanks or something similar).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 924 925 [926] 927 928 ... 1575