Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 925 926 [927] 928 929 ... 1574

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2369946 times)

Professor Lemur

• Bay Watcher
  • Not as cool as your glasses, man.
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #13890 on: February 05, 2015, 02:29:59 pm »

I don't see what the problem is. It sounds like a game made for the hardcore players who really, REALLY know what they're doing.
A lot of it is artificial difficulty I won't deny that. But it sounds like if you were expecting difficulty similar to X or Y then you're out of luck.
The problem is, several of the teams I've seen being used to win these battles are very clearly hacked, or require many, many full playthroughs at least. Which does seem grating, since the game includes features to remove that kind of grinding. It's also supposed to be based off competitive play, only it violates the rules it forces you to comply with.
Yeah. Game devs do that. It's an easy way to include difficulty without having to try very hard. It's why we have rubber-band AI and a very pro-nuclear Gandhi in the Civ games.
Nuclear Gandhi is actually a nod to an old bug in the first game, rather than an attempt at making it more difficult. In the first Civ, Gandhi had an aggression rating of 0. Adopting democracy reduced an AI's aggression by two. Given how the counting worked, this made Gandhi's aggression rating become 255. On a scale from one to ten.
Huh. Well i stand corrected!
You can lead a horse to water, you can leave your horse behind.
'Cause your horse don't dance and if he don't dance, then he's no horse of mine.
ASK ME ABOUT MY OBSCURELY LARGE MEKHQ ARMY

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13891 on: February 05, 2015, 06:19:50 pm »

I don't see what the problem is. It sounds like a game made for the hardcore players who really, REALLY know what they're doing.
A lot of it is artificial difficulty I won't deny that. But it sounds like if you were expecting difficulty similar to X or Y then you're out of luck.
The problem is, several of the teams I've seen being used to win these battles are very clearly hacked, or require many, many full playthroughs at least. Which does seem grating, since the game includes features to remove that kind of grinding. It's also supposed to be based off competitive play, only it violates the rules it forces you to comply with.
Yeah. Game devs do that. It's an easy way to include difficulty without having to try very hard. It's why we have rubber-band AI and a very pro-nuclear Gandhi in the Civ games.
Nuclear Gandhi is actually a nod to an old bug in the first game, rather than an attempt at making it more difficult. In the first Civ, Gandhi had an aggression rating of 0. Adopting democracy reduced an AI's aggression by two. Given how the counting worked, this made Gandhi's aggression rating become 255. On a scale from one to ten.

And now I know...
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13892 on: February 05, 2015, 06:36:05 pm »

Fucking goddamn nuclear Gandhi. If there was any Civ-based shirt I'd want, it'd be of that shiteater's face.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13893 on: February 05, 2015, 06:38:22 pm »

Fucking goddamn nuclear Gandhi. If there was any Civ-based shirt I'd want, it'd be of that shiteater's face.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13894 on: February 05, 2015, 06:48:19 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I read that in Walter White's voice.
Don't ask why.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
  • You're gonna carry that weight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13895 on: February 06, 2015, 09:34:13 am »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13897 on: February 07, 2015, 09:02:18 pm »

A petty soul gem on a stand coughed a Frost spell at me which killed me instantly.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13898 on: February 08, 2015, 04:09:07 am »

Led a party on a quest to kill a Necromancer apprentice. Nasty luck led to half the party being insane from stress by the time we even got there, and one by one adventurers fell to the Necromancer and his infinite goons. The last to die was Blade Mastah the Hellion, who took an absurd number of hits while at death's door before finally falling.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13899 on: February 08, 2015, 07:56:27 am »

Was allied to France and Saxony, accidentally accepted Saxony's call to arms instead of France's. Quickly exited the war, but now they're hostile and it's only a matter of time before it comes to squish poor Sardinia - Piedmont...

EUIV.
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13900 on: February 08, 2015, 12:33:20 pm »

Got my initial crafting done, typically some warm clothes, a wood spear, a bow, and found some science corpses and picked up a lab coat. Cleared out a megastore near the shelter by building a big fire and leading zombies through it. Somehow, this attracted a big horde, so I booked it into unknown lands. Changed direction when I noticed I was walking into fungaloid territory. Found a nice spot as night was falling, started getting an improvised shelter going when the appearance of a shocker brute signalled arrival of another horde, no idea how they tracked me. I left, found a town and spent the night in a sporting goods store. Woke up surrounded by both hordes. I tried to run. Tried.

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13901 on: February 08, 2015, 01:40:13 pm »

Went for a slightly longer-than-normal flight path through pirate-owned territory. The journey looks clear... but as I'm nearly in range of the planet, I get a battle. A cruiser, destroyer, and extra ship. And I'm not allowed to escape the encounter. Normally, this would be a rough fight, but I could win it.

Except normally, my crew hasn't just become exhausted from a longer-than-normal flight path. So now I'm fighting a really tough battle, with nothing but a destroyer and Daisy, and a greatly slowed command gauge.

Well, crap. I guess I shouldn't have neglected my destroyer's Livability.  :'(

Professor Lemur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13902 on: February 08, 2015, 04:28:59 pm »

This sounds awesome. What sort of genre is Infinite Space?
Quick Edit: Tried lava diving.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 04:31:05 pm by Professor Lemur »
'Cause your horse don't dance and if he don't dance, then he's no horse of mine.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13903 on: February 08, 2015, 04:43:19 pm »

Infinite Space is a combination of RPG, fleet-management, crew-management, and exploration. Really odd game but very fun.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Professor Lemur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13904 on: February 08, 2015, 04:46:28 pm »

Infinite Space is a combination of RPG, fleet-management, crew-management, and exploration. Really odd game but very fun.
Sounds up my avenue. May have to get it so I can say CAPTAIN ON THE BRIDGE
Pages: 1 ... 925 926 [927] 928 929 ... 1574