Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 884 885 [886] 887 888 ... 1575

Author Topic: How did you last die?  (Read 2373036 times)

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
Re: How did you last die?
« Reply #13275 on: November 14, 2014, 09:54:21 am »

I completely crushed the Elite Four and Champion underneath my foot with barely any losses, but then Reudh challenged me for a fight. He completely decimated all 6 of my Pokeymans, and I only managed to KO two because he had some sort of unstoppable washing machine on his side.

Pokemon Y

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13276 on: November 14, 2014, 01:53:13 pm »

I completely crushed the Elite Four and Champion underneath my foot with barely any losses, but then Reudh challenged me for a fight. He completely decimated all 6 of my Pokeymans, and I only managed to KO two because he had some sort of unstoppable washing machine on his side.

Pokemon Y
Brother!
Rotom is the harbinger of doom if you're unprepared.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13277 on: November 14, 2014, 07:42:24 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cue three deaths on XCOM's side until the battle ends. Apparently losing three out of seven still counts as "good" on the post-battle report.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13278 on: November 14, 2014, 08:50:17 pm »

Pokemon Y
Brother!
Rotom is the harbinger of doom if you're unprepared.

Indeed. It can change types (outside of battle) and can run all manner of cool sets. My favourite is far and away Rotom-W, though i've used Rotom-H (a microwave) to some degree of success before.
Rotom has a bunch of forms, all different types:

Rotom - Electric/Ghost. No one uses this form, as its base stats are lower than the other forms.

Rotom-W - Electric/Water. An electric pokemon that inhabits a washing machine. Extremely versatile. Very good type synergy. Only weak to grass (also Ground, assuming the opponent either has the ability Mold Breaker or the move Gravity), and its decent speed usually lets it Volt Switch out of danger before hand. Water is also a good offensive type, as only Grass and itself resists it.

Rotom-H - Electric/Fire. An electric pokemon that inhabits a microwave. Quite usable. Sadly rather frail, due to its Fire type not synergising well with Electric. At least Levitate nullifies what would be a 4x Ground weakness, but you still suffer from a 2x weakness to Rock and a 2x weakness to Water. Overheat from a Choice Specs Rotom-H is incredibly devastating at least twice.

Rotom-F - Electric/Flying. An electric pokemon that inhabits a fan. No one really uses this one. There aren't many good flying type moves it can abuse, and it just gets an added weakness to Ice and Rock.

Rotom-M - Electric/Grass. An electric pokemon that inhabits a lawnmower. Certainly a usable mon. Similar to Rotom-H in that it can run an incredibly painful Leaf Storm, but has a lot of weaknesses too, in this case poison, bug and ice. (Flying type is neutralised by Electric.)

Rotom-Fr - Electric/Ice. An electric pokemon inhabiting a fridge. Rather fragile, as Ice is a poor type defensively. On the plus side, you can hit Dragons and Grass types super effectively where the others would be walled by them.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #13279 on: November 15, 2014, 02:59:47 am »

Overlaps slightly with ownage as by all rights should have been a total failure, but since the entire situation was unnecessary I'll post it here.

So we see a UFO, land two hits without bringing it down, it lands before I can send another interceptor and I send in the troops.  Its still pretty early so I send in a gunner, an infantry, a medic, and 3 rookies.  We land with the UFO to our northwest and a cliff to our west.  We grab some meld with no contacts, except some noise off to the side.  The noise is always in the same place so I assume there's just one or two packs and the outsider.  I decide to move up the cliff, rather than towards the noise, so we'll have the elevation advantage.  Once I reach the cliff, I realize that if my troops jump down they can't get back up; the first warning sign.  I take a sideways path they can sort of retreat back from, which reveals the UFO.  I realize its the medium UFO pattern, despite not passing the first terror mission, second warning sign.  I decide to approach the front door without looking down the diagonal/side doors, my normal breach tactic for this type of ship.  This reveals that there is a gap greater than most soldier's movement range in front of the door with very sparse cover, the third warning sign, but I ignore it and attempt to advance down this alley towards the front of the ship.  My logic is that with the infantry in hard cover with a SCOPE, I have an anchor I can retreat to if an accidental reveal happens.

A rookie to the reveals a pack of 3 sectoids and a drone on the left side of the ship, most of which retreat.  With no easy way to engage I retreat as well, sticking to my hard cover and preparing to ambush.  Unbeknownst to me because of distracting real life circumstances, this pack also contained a thin man.  The thin man and drone circle quickly around make a surprise attack on the right side, where my infantry is.  I pop smoke so the squad can shift right into low cover and still fight, then the infantry kills the drone.  I also have one rookie circle left so that the sectoids in the center don't get too bold.

To understand my shock, there are two things you must know.  One, I have purely conventional weapons, and second rank soldiers.  Two, I have not played Long War much, due to the "Long" in its name.  So with that out of the way, what happened next was four fucking mutons reveal from behind the thin man.  They are in between the squad and evac, with the only escape being the narrow back of the cliff that the mutons thankfully cannot reach.

I write the fight off as hopeless and continue shifting right.  Shit immediately goes to hell.  The thin man shoots my "sniper" rookie who panics, a sectoid and three mutons suppress various soldiers.  I tell my suppressed gunner to counter surpress a specific muton, allowing the infantry to escape.  The medic pops smoke again and tries to run as well.  The thin man acids a rookie the medic, and an invisible seeker reminding me that oh yeah a while back two seekers revealed.  A muton almost kills the infantry.  Next turn the gunner and far left rookie get grabbed by seekers, and due to lack of cover I tell the "sniper" rookie to run back out of LoS but stupidly don't tell anyone to overwatch.  She predictably dies, but the infantry shoots the seeker off the gunner, who suppresses a muton and allows the medic to escape.  The acided rookie gets mindfrayed, making any hope of running away a distant memory.  He dies, the gunner dies in a hail of light plasma fire, the rookie to the far left is obviously beyond saving and chokes out.  Their sacrifices allow the medic and horribly wounded infantry manage to get over the cliff and sprint back to the skyranger, escaping right before all four mutons get in firing range.

All in all, I managed to get out of the "Long War got hard" moment with only one experienced troop lost.  The infantryman isn't going to be back in action for a month but they're such an obviously valuable troop type that I couldn't afford that loss, and I have a backup infantry who can over-exert themselves if I need them to while I get more infantry.  What a great class, even if the name is redundant.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13280 on: November 15, 2014, 03:50:45 am »

The "Anger Deck" is well-named. Every time my opponent could deal extra damage or stack additional effects with coin flips, it worked. In contrast, the coin flip worked in my favor exactly once: when I dealt 160 damage to a Pokemon that had only 10 HP left. And later, after dealing a hefty blow to an Arcanine that left it with 20 HP, it turned around and one-shot my Kangeskhan. Thanks to poor energy draws (my bane in trading card games like these), I could not recover from that loss.

Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13281 on: November 15, 2014, 04:38:49 am »

WIZZROBES, WIZZROBES EVERYWHERE

I can deal with the orange Wizzrobes, but the blue ones completely wreck my shit every single time. Especially when they're in a room together with Like-Likes, orange Wizzrobes and Bubbles. All I can do is bomb everywhere and hope for the best.

Legend of Zelda.

EDIT:

A recurring design theme with the latter half of Zelda seems to be "Take an enemy that you can barely deal with by twos or threes, then shove you into a room with eight or more of them." This time, it was blue Darknuts.

Zelda 1 again.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 05:06:53 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #13282 on: November 15, 2014, 05:59:40 am »

Fuck dragons.

We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #13283 on: November 15, 2014, 06:31:30 am »

An explosion-propelled rock to the face.

she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

MikaTheCrazy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't know why this is my avatar now
    • View Profile
« Reply #13284 on: November 15, 2014, 06:53:55 am »

Ended up in a museum with only one entrance and a large group of zombies clawing at the door, as well as a Mi-go constantly spouting nonsense at them. I set fire to the doors, so that when the zombies broke through they would have to cross through the fire to get to me. It worked, and most of the zombies where rather heavily injured. I fired on them with my rifle, but ran out of ammo and was forced to start luring them over furniture and smack them while they clumsily tried to climb over. I got some injuries in the process, and retreated into a back room to heal up with a medkit. Unfortunately, in this time, the fire I had started at the doorways had engulfed most of the museum, burning me to death.

Okay fine, maybe I'm too lazy to find something to put here.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #13285 on: November 15, 2014, 07:20:22 am »

Meteor to the face. Seriously, what are the chances?

Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13286 on: November 15, 2014, 08:11:52 am »

Original crysis, epsilon difficulty config, first level, comm jammer beach. Mowed down through the thin walls of the shack by the pboat after letting someone set off a flare. It's been too long, still so fun.

raler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13287 on: November 15, 2014, 09:42:51 am »

Original crysis, epsilon difficulty config, first level, comm jammer beach. Mowed down through the thin walls of the shack by the pboat after letting someone set off a flare. It's been too long, still so fun.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13288 on: November 15, 2014, 01:00:29 pm »

Ragequit after the Americans' early rush walked right up to my forward defense, and my machinegunner decided he didn't want to shoot at all. He finally opened fire after I undeployed him, but it was too late.

Another ragequit after managing to fend off Shermans with Marders and Pumas while getting nebelwerfers to pound the Americans' base, only for the Americans to sneak infantry around the main battle and a single hand grenade blew up all of my supply depots because the halftrack I sent to mop them up decided to shoot at the soldiers furthest from the supply depot, not closest(despite orders).

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #13289 on: November 15, 2014, 02:26:11 pm »

WIZZROBES, WIZZROBES EVERYWHERE

I can deal with the orange Wizzrobes, but the blue ones completely wreck my shit every single time. Especially when they're in a room together with Like-Likes, orange Wizzrobes and Bubbles. All I can do is bomb everywhere and hope for the best.

Legend of Zelda.

EDIT:

A recurring design theme with the latter half of Zelda seems to be "Take an enemy that you can barely deal with by twos or threes, then shove you into a room with eight or more of them." This time, it was blue Darknuts.

Zelda 1 again.
Oh ho ho. Level 6, methinks? Good luck. I'm still stuck there on my 3DS Virtual Console and haven't gotten past it in years.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 884 885 [886] 887 888 ... 1575