Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28

Author Topic: DF 31.17 Adventure Mode Impressions  (Read 32388 times)

Trammelkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 31.17 Adventure Mode Impressions
« Reply #120 on: November 12, 2010, 12:00:28 am »

I started it up and genned a large world. Demi-god human swordsman. Alone I slew thirty-four bandits, twelve night creatures, and three dragons.

By this time I had nothing less than a personal army. By my side were over twenty of the finest men and women I ever had the honor to serve with. This was not to last however. We were being watched.

After a glorious battle with an ancient titan who had over two-hundred kills to his name the trap had been sprung. A legion of kobolds swarmed from the hills. Some fifty-eight surrounded us. It was a massacre on both sides. Though seventeen of my soldiers died that day, no kobold left that field.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 12, 2010, 12:12:47 am »

Something weird happened; I bought some armor, picked it up, weared it, left the shop, went to another shop to trade all my junk for some gold and all of a sudden everyone hates me. Apparently everyone thinks I never paid for my breastplate and mail shirt despite me paying for them. I'm 99% sure I bought a mail shirt and breast plate. I'm also 99% sure that there was only one shirt and one plate in the shop. I'm also 99% sure that there wasn't a $ sign on the items when I picked them up. So unless I failed utterly horribly at reading object descriptions I'm pretty sure I just encountered a bug.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 12:14:18 am by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 12, 2010, 12:36:06 am »

No surprise here but, I've never had more fun with Adventurer mode before today.  Scary night time, better quests, renown, interesting towns, castles... I've run two adventurers now, a hammerdwarf (killed by the first consort encounter, I didn't realize hammers were so ineffective even in Adventurer mode), and then an axedwarf who basically murdered every evil-doer she encountered.  Mostly human bandits, a couple trogs... Then I decided to step it up a bit and got a quest from a Lady in a keep to take out some dwarf bandit.  "Whatever, me and my small army will certainly destroy those dwarven thugs.  Blood for the Blood God!"

I didn't even get close to the Captain.  After striking down a few dumb wrestlers, a skilled hammerdwarf approached.  I think I put up a decent fight, but several broken ribs later and my axedwarf gave into the pain, passed out, and was turned into meaty paste by my target's coterie of hammerthugs.

I dunno how aimed shots work.  Just bashing into them like old adventurer mode seems to be the most effective.  When I aim, I never seem to have good strikes or anything that is going to connect.  I'll just keep trying different skill layouts, I guess.
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2010, 12:36:10 am »

Adventure mode works well if your human, not so well if your dwarf. Dwarf usable items are hard to find.  Overall toady streamlined quite a bit of stuff...  You no longer have to re-explore areas, so getting lost isn't near as bad. Only thing I didn't find was a labyrinth.

I'm now moving on to Fortress mode to test the combat mode and see if FPS is smoother late game.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2010, 12:38:26 am »

I keep trying to slap people across the face with my scimitar to stun them, that's my favorite part of the new combat system. :D And the wrestling interface is beautiful.

Anybody else notice the clouds that affect your vision range on the travel map? Weather effects are coming...
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2010, 12:40:20 am »

Something weird happened; I bought some armor, picked it up, weared it, left the shop, went to another shop to trade all my junk for some gold and all of a sudden everyone hates me.

Me too. Only it was a shield.
Earlier I got a similar bug. I thought it was selling the human meat to the store, but no, upon retesting that is perfectly ok with everyone. I even sold them their friend's skin back.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 12, 2010, 12:44:09 am »

Yea, human meat from the lairs is worth alot of dwarfbucks....
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 12, 2010, 12:46:21 am »

Hmm, anyone else have problems with buying armor? If so, then we need to tell Toady about this bug.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 12, 2010, 12:54:28 am »

My dwarf adventurer just ripped off some nightcreature's head with his teeth ! I was strangling it with both lower arms, and my companion was hacking it with an axe. I decided to check how the combat opportunites will look like while I have two chokeholds on it. I noticed an opportunity to bite one of it's eyelids. I latched on firmly, and decided to shake my head. I turned out I latched onto it's head, and when I shaked it I tore it's head clean off !

I also found a strange castle. There was a lot of elephants, chimpazes and bonoboes outside. When I entered the castle it turned out there's nobody there. I checked the keep and a few towers. Strangely there, were a few elephants and other animals roaming around INSIDE the castle. And when I tried to leave, i saw like 20 or more elephants and like 40 other animals piled up just outside the gate. The closest ones attacked me, and the rest fled. Looked like they wanted to get in, but couldn't open the door. Btw that elephants are really tough, i stabbed it like 10 times in the head with an iron short sword and it was still alive.

Boatmurdered Returns! I just had to say that when I saw this.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GuudeSpelur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 12, 2010, 01:03:42 am »

Adventurer mode is EPIC now.  I made a human swordsman Vusdom Oceanwalls the Flayer of Harshness.  My first kill was against a vile woman's husband- pretty straightforward fight.  I then was sent out to kill some bandits, which was a little difficult but not impossible.  I used the stuff I looted from them to purchase some better equipment and headed out for a nearby fortress.  On the way, I stopped at a village to rest for the night and decided to take care of some more bandits for them.  I got to the fortress, recruited some people, and went out to kill another vile woman husband.  I did that and got to the fortress.  There I recruited three people and was sent by the Lady to kill more bandits.  I managed to do it but only me and one heavily injured companion survived.  I recruited some more people and got another quest from the Lady- it was time to kill the Vile Woman herself.  Me and my companions set out, but about halfway there we stopped. Something felt wrong.  Suddenly, a pride of lions sprang from ambush, and they managed to kill a couple of my companions.  I finally got to the lair and engaged in an epic battle with the Vile Woman.  There was a lot of dodging around until I got a lucky strike on her hand, and then me and my companions started to finish her off.  With her dying breath, she lashed out with her horns and impaled me through the brain, killing me instantly just as my hammerman companion caved in her chest.  Seriously, epic.  I started a spearman that lost his left foot and left hand in his first fight, but I've gone on to earn a title since then (along with half of my peasant army!).  I can't wait to see how this turns out.
This fortress is turning into some kind of supervillain lair or something.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2010, 01:15:44 am »

Is there any point to recruiting peasants compared to armed guards?  I figured they would be my first companions, but none would join me since I had no reputation.  After my first kill, I just went and got lashers and pikemen from the keeps.  Am I doing it wrong?
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 12, 2010, 01:46:56 am »

My first few adventurers died before anything really happened, but my current one has definitely been epic. I am really surprised. Previously, I didn't like adventure mode at all. Now it's more fun than I've had in a while!
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 12, 2010, 02:27:06 am »

So I'm not the only one with a castle full of hostile human wrestlers, though they were also all naked.  I thought it might have been my modding, but I guess not.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 02:47:53 am by JoRo »
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 12, 2010, 02:38:04 am »

Has anyone else been able to get Bogeymen to disappear by entering a building like a house after sleeping next to the door? Because I slept outside a house, bogeymen came, I entered the house and they disappeared. I want to confirm if this is true before I edit the wiki.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 12, 2010, 02:41:56 am »

I have had a message say "the Bogey man vanishes", while in the middle of the forest! Then it seemed to appear right near me. I got a chance to notice this because I had decent stealth and was being careful not to run into them for a bit so I could watch them.

They definitely have some odd behaviours.

EDIT: also, the wiki is wrong about having to sleep to get ambushed by Bogeymen. They'll surround you just fine while you're awake. Creepy message too, about the cackling.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 02:45:32 am by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28