Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 28

Author Topic: DF 31.17 Adventure Mode Impressions  (Read 32344 times)

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
Re: DF 31.17 Adventure Mode Impressions
« Reply #135 on: November 12, 2010, 02:44:05 am »

I haven't run into any boogymen yet, and I traveled for like three days without stopping or rest at one point. Killed a few night creature spouses. Killed a cyclopse and a Hydra. Have like 12 or so minions following me around at all times. Got bored, went to another civ, killed everyone in one of their castles. My person, who only had one scar at this point, had to crawl out of the castle, falling unconcious very few 'steps'. Got back to my 'home' village(atleast 2 days away) and was fully healed, just alot of new scars. Retired there for now.

Edit:Mistake, I killed a hydra not a dragon.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 03:01:01 am by KaguroDraven »
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 12, 2010, 02:51:19 am »

Stop calling them boogeymen!  They're not dancing with you, they're punching your ribs through your heart!

Wikipedia says it's a proper spelling, but it's full of lies.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 02:53:06 am by drvoke »
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2010, 02:59:14 am »

So I'm not the only one with a castle full of hostile human wrestlers, though they were also all naked.  I thought it might have been my modding, but I guess not.
Oh, that's right, mine were naked too.

I checked another civ in the world and those forts were working fine. Not sure what it is but I am considering submitting a bug report.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 12, 2010, 02:59:39 am »

According to the wiki, you can apparently run away from Bogeymen if you've got enough agility. However, they seem to keep spawning and harassing me no matter how much I run. I'll be running to a house/until morning and see if anything happens.

Edit: Heh, a Cougar is fighting a Bogeymen. Apparently I'm not the only one that hates them.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 12, 2010, 03:02:57 am »

The second time I got boogey-ambushed I was able to run to a nearby hamlet. They disappeared halfway through the surrounding fields. It was nowhere near daytime so I'm guessing that I just ran far enough (although they were only 1 or 2 squares behind the whole time).
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 12, 2010, 03:08:30 am »

Well, I've been running quite a distance and I still haven't been able to get the off my trail. And I've been horribly wounded; I've lost my upper front tooth.

HORRIBLY WOUNDED I TELL YOU!

...Err, anyway, still running.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 12, 2010, 03:24:56 am »

Well, they disappeared right around the middle of a Hamlet. So there must be a critical distance from a town/hamlet before they disappear.

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 12, 2010, 03:28:11 am »

I wonder if there is a reason that me and most of the bandits seem to only have basic cloth on, no armor. A few bandits have one or two bits of leather armor, but that's it. I have to scavinge a fully suit of bronze from caves.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 12, 2010, 03:49:27 am »

Uhhh, I just managed to recruit a shopkeeper. And I can trade with him whenever he's in his shop. Well, that's interesting. Too bad I don't know how to get him to stop following me. So I guess he'll just follow me until he dies. Good thing he didn't really have anything interesting anyway.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 12, 2010, 03:55:36 am »

Uhhh, I just managed to recruit a shopkeeper. And I can trade with him whenever he's in his shop. Well, that's interesting. Too bad I don't know how to get him to stop following me. So I guess he'll just follow me until he dies. Good thing he didn't really have anything interesting anyway.

That is awesome.
According to the wiki, you can apparently run away from Bogeymen if you've got enough agility. However, they seem to keep spawning and harassing me no matter how much I run. I'll be running to a house/until morning and see if anything happens.

The wiki lies. You can only get away from them by reaching civilization. I don't think it's "spawning" so much as teleporting. That's what it seems like anyways. Either that or they are some fancy stealth machines, because I kept getting messages about them "vanishing". But there were always new ones to take their place.

Edit: Heh, a Cougar is fighting a Bogeymen. Apparently I'm not the only one that hates them.
I'm learning to look for Cougars if I'm stranded far from civilization come nightfall. :D
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 12, 2010, 03:59:42 am »

My first experience was getting a quest to kill some dark troll's mate. I put most of my ranks in Agility and Dodge, so even though I was horribly outclassed by the "mate" in terms of size and strength, I had enough agility to dodge most of her attacks. Too bad I couldn't do much damage to her. A few good hits netted her a lacerated arm, a slice across the leg, and a good poke in the abdomen from my scimitar, but it didn't slow her down, and eventually she caught me by the arm and smashed my skull in. Well, that was certainly fun. I should try someone with better wrestling skills next.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 12, 2010, 04:09:53 am »

My first experience was getting a quest to kill some dark troll's mate. I put most of my ranks in Agility and Dodge, so even though I was horribly outclassed by the "mate" in terms of size and strength, I had enough agility to dodge most of her attacks. Too bad I couldn't do much damage to her. A few good hits netted her a lacerated arm, a slice across the leg, and a good poke in the abdomen from my scimitar, but it didn't slow her down, and eventually she caught me by the arm and smashed my skull in. Well, that was certainly fun. I should try someone with better wrestling skills next.

I'm finding it's very important to have your attributes match your skills. Wrestling without strength is sad. Kinesthetic sense, toughness and Will are important if you are soloing. Recuperation is important if you are a hand-to-hand guy.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 12, 2010, 04:10:36 am »

You can always try and disable/ dismember their weapon arm. If you want to steal their weapons, i guess you could just do it from the wrestling menu, just like before.

Although that will apparently take a decent wrestling skill now, as enemies can easily avoid you grabbing them now.

Maybe some kind of world gen option would help, so you can turn off bogeymen attacks completely, make them only show up rarely, make them only show up in evil areas, or the current frequency.

I think that is an option in the same file you change for things like skipping the intro and screen ratio.

Man. All this stuff is awesome. but I should not be able to bite six things, one with each of my teeth.

"Who are you?"
"I'm the goddamn pac-man."

This is gonna would be my sig if no one else uses used it.

Is there any point to recruiting peasants compared to armed guards?  I figured they would be my first companions, but none would join me since I had no reputation.  After my first kill, I just went and got lashers and pikemen from the keeps.  Am I doing it wrong?

Well, recruiting miners will finally give you access to a pick without having to piss off a whole civilization stealing one or trick a monster into killing someone with one.

That sounds more like a bad thing; if he dies you can go take his stuff, assuming you beat everyone else to it.

Is anyone else getting a bug where it says unarmed human soldiers are blowgunner, even though they don't use blowgun?

And what happens if you don't ask permission to stay in someone's house before sleeping? I slept in a fortress without asking permission (which I couldn't get because asking the soldiers wasn't an option), but nothing bad happened.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 12, 2010, 04:14:57 am »

Well, the shopkeeper and me died to bandits/outlaws. I died to bleeding out after running away after I got hit in the throat with a arrow, which caused heavy bleeding (I was running away hoping that the bleeding would eventually stop. It didn't.). The shopkeeper likely died in melee combat. RIP me and brave/stupid shopkeeper.

Oh well, time to start another adventurer again.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 12, 2010, 04:17:08 am »

My first demigod dispatched a group of bogeymen with ease, as well as several bandit camps (single-handedly, of course). Eventually died taking on a particularly large camp after I'd lost my entire right leg in the previous one. Being slowed really makes you more vulnerable. Lesson learned: play as a human; you get armour that way.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 28