A lot
- 1 (9.1%)
A ton
- 1 (9.1%)
All of it
- 3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 249

Author Topic: Cobalt Fortress: Days 48 onward: This is the spring of our discontent  (Read 143073 times)

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Cobalt Edition: Prologue: Orngim Trail
« Reply #195 on: November 09, 2010, 11:53:35 pm »

Brandish contract.  I want to know what I won.  Look around the office for anything... out of place.  Once Ihave the contract explained to me, get out of there find somebody nearby preferably a servant or peasant and ask him about a dwarf that matches the description of the one I saw leaving the law office.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 09, 2010, 11:54:48 pm »

Gar: asks about the noble's name, duties and interests, giving his own name with the attached title "Mighty Spiderdrinker Champion".

In the meantime, I need to sleep. See you tomorrow!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 12:07:57 am by Samthere »

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 09, 2010, 11:56:30 pm »

Will we of the non-embark team still be able to interact with the Mountainhome once the embark occurs?

Go to the barge, and begin constructing a formation with the recruits. Make it something not stupid. Use my Commander skill to rally the troops for combat. Ready the crossbow, and tell the others to remove as much weight as they can without leaving themselves completely defenseless so they don't drown as easily.
Stroke beard in a hard-boiled, leaderly manner as a final act of encouragement to the troops.
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 10, 2010, 12:10:38 am »

Hastur
You've made an additional 200, raising your budget to 800.

V-Norrec
The senior is intrigued by the contract, and doesn't notice you being extremely suspicious. After a good time examining it and jotting down notes, he finally comes to a conclusion.

"This contract is a deed to the ownership of a small business. I have no idea how current it is, but the addresses of the premises are listed. There's a small warehouse, a barge at the docks, and a shop in another city. There's no indication as to what the business was for. Hmm.
You receive the addresses, though the shop in another mountainhome is likely out of reach.

Samthere
You get to know the noble, and he reveals that he's Ertel of the Nimen house. He's in this tavern to hide from the wives that his family is trying to get him to marry. It's a tragic tale of unwanted love, and the peasants around you have tears streaming from their eyes.

Lillipad
The barge is a huge, flat wooden platform. It moves by dwarves turning propellers, and navigates by following painted rocks. There are numerous lanterns hung around it that cast light across the black water. It's a primitive system but it works well enough. It's piled with goods, maintaining an equal distribution. There are ten labourers and a captain, plus you and the recruits. As you cast off, you think you spot a sack of dye that looks familiar. You have more important things to worry about, and organise the recruits. How should they be set up around the barge?
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 10, 2010, 12:11:41 am »

I follow my beard, it's never let me down before.

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 10, 2010, 12:14:39 am »

i can take 100$ away if you really mean it? Or are you tryiing to tell me i cant make any more money with my time?

Hastur
You put 300 on the pit worm, half your royal allowance. You really hope it wins.

It's a close fight, with the prisoner getting a good grip on it at and trying to tear it apart with his bear hands. It took a turn against him when the worm wound around him and tore his face off. You collect 300 in profit from the bookkeeper, who looks glum.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 10, 2010, 12:18:38 am »

Have Kas stick near the middle, Have him stand on something tallish so he can act as lookout. Station the other three in a triangular formation that keeps the staff safe. I'll be patrolling around the ship, remaining suspicious of the lantern dye.

Before the barge sets off I'll use my Commander skill to rally the troops for combat. I'll also ready the crossbow, and tell the others to remove as much weight as they can without leaving themselves completely defenseless so they don't drown as easily.
I shall finally stroke my beard in a hard-boiled, leaderly manner as a final act of encouragement to the troops.

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 10, 2010, 12:29:56 am »

Heres my guy with skills and inventory
Sandow
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 10, 2010, 12:49:38 am »

Hastur

You've spent 850, but you only have 600 plus 200 from gambling.

FuzzyZergling
You follow your beard, and take a few steps back. Good thing, too, because a pit worm bursts out of the ground in front of you.

They always try to avoid settlements as the ringing noises are very unpleasant to their senses, but if they get trapped or lost they become maddened. With thick hide and a rock-crushing mouth, this creature is thrashing about like crazy. You don't have long before it reorients itself, and it will most likely treat you like an extra tasty rock.

Lillipad
Kas stands on top of an especially large crate, giving her a good view in all directions. The lantern light is a hard limit on sight, however.

The remaining three join you in the middle, where you surround the crew working the screws. Everybody is nervous, but they're glad to have somebody experienced with them. The barge floats quietly over the water, leaving the docks behind and heading for the first marker.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 10, 2010, 12:53:06 am »

Hmmm, let's see if Lilli and I finally meet up.  Head on down to the barge I apparently own at the docks. 

Edit:  Once I have the contract explained to me, get out of there find somebody nearby preferably a servant or peasant and ask him about a dwarf that matches the description of the one I saw leaving the law office. 

I want to know who I'm messing with here :P

((Also, is the warehouse I own at the docks too or in the warehouse district?))
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 12:55:39 am by V-Norrec »

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 10, 2010, 12:58:45 am »

Wait for the barge to take off, after giving a rousing speech to the crew and recruits.

I'll start my rounds of patrol, giving words of encouragement to the crew and recruits while doing so. If there's anything suspicious in any direction, hold a lantern to see if it isn't another barge, or a ship of varying size. If it isn't another barge/ship, then shoot at it with the crossbow until it stops moving. Taking risks on a suicide mission is not allowed.
If Kas reports any strange sights before I notice them, then take aim, and inspect. The same conditions from the patrol rounds apply here. I'll tell the melee dwarfs do some stretches so they don't cramp up during battle, or some stupid thing like that.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 10, 2010, 01:02:21 am »

I quickly abscond, running to find the nearest suitable weapon.
If I cannot find anything, I keep running until I get to a more populated area.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 10, 2010, 01:11:07 am »

V-Norrec
You head for the docks, since that's where the barge and warehouse are. You hitch a ride on a cart, and arrive just in time to see barge lights disappear into the darkness. You glance around, but you have no idea where your property could be. You decide to check with he dockmaster.

The dockmaster is a grimy dwarf with inkstained fingers. He listens to you and examines the contract. Deciding it to be genuine, he hands you some keys and informs you that the barge is berthed at pier 19 and the warehouse is at lot 12.

The warehouse existed in a state of both docks and warehouse district, only decided by actually going to it. In this case, docks. If you had chosen warehouse district, it would have been the place where you had the battle! And there probably would have been some angry, well armed gangsters waiting there.

Lillipad
Your barge becomes an island of light in the darkness. The only indications of the outside world are the fluorescent splotches of paint on the rock walls. After giving some helpful orders to the recruits, you wait, gripping your crossbow.

The captain and Kas shout at the same time, having seen the same thing. The crew stop grinding, and the barge slows down to a gentle drift. Now you can see it too. Ahead and to the sides are fragments of wrecked craft, semisubmerged and scraping against the rocks. You can't tell how many barges were lost here, but it was more than a few. There is no noise but the scraping and lapping, and nothing to be seen but rock, water, and wrecks.

FuzzyZergling
You very wisely run away like a little elf. The pit worm seems to be attacking someone else, but there are ranger-guards for exactly this situation. After some distance, you turn around and see the worm being peppered by crossbow bolts, a farmer lying nearby with a hole bored through his chest. After some more bolt fire hits the writhing worm, a massive dwarf charges up with a great-axe and neatly cuts it in half. The guards will have the meat sent to the butcher and the farmer to the priest.

Everyone also check the profiles posted in the first page. There's a disturbing lack of females, especially if Coughdrop doesn't show.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 10, 2010, 01:16:16 am »

Great, now I'm not a criminal.  I'm just defending my property from dirty thieves.  Walk on down to pier 19, be careful to avoid making any eye-contact with gangster types.

Also feel free to sex-change me, it's not a huge deal.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 10, 2010, 01:18:35 am »

Tell the recruits to be on guard, and inform the crew to creep forward slowly. I'll tell the captain and crew if I observe any jagged rocks nearby, and tell them which ways to turn to avoid the rocks. I'll also tell Kas to keep her crossbow ready for anything she might see. As we pass the wreckage we should stop to collect any weapons we can use, and to collect the cash.
This can be considered an "added bonus" to the mission. A down payment, if you will.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 249