A lot
- 1 (9.1%)
A ton
- 1 (9.1%)
All of it
- 3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 249

Author Topic: Cobalt Fortress: Days 48 onward: This is the spring of our discontent  (Read 143034 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Cobalt Edition: Prologue: Orngim Trail
« Reply #210 on: November 10, 2010, 01:22:53 am »

Identify the bore-ed dwarf, then head to the tavern to drink away my cowardly sorrows.
Perhaps pick up a lovely girl, who knows? Anything is possible with enough alchohol!

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 10, 2010, 01:44:47 am »

V-Norrec
You walk down to pier 19, happy that now you officially own something for once. There's a surprising lack of thugs, perhaps they're all back at the city. You reach the berth and find a barge. You have absolutely no idea how good of a barge it is, but the floating is a good sign. It doesn't have any cargo on it, and the nameplate on it reads 'Tower Cap Trader'.

Without warning, you get the sensation of something very wrong and very right. You think that you can hear a divine chuckle...

You can change any of your traits if you like, and maybe get a nice 'Cursed' one as a bonus.

Lillipad
Everybody is on edge, and the captain waves away your offer of rockspotting. It's fairly likely that half a dozen captains didn't lose their sense of direction in the same spot. The barge moves forward slowly, bumping boards and panels out of the way. The only things floating are fragments of the hulls.

FuzzyZergling
You have no idea who the unfortunate farmer was, but his friends are already dividing up his plot. Feeling uneasy about returning to the area, you decide to go drinking. It's a good decision and soon you're the life of the party, with a pretty girl on each arm and a few more looking on. How will you handle this?
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 10, 2010, 01:48:51 am »

How will you handle this?
That depends, how drunk am I?

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 10, 2010, 01:49:52 am »

Only a little buzzed.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 10, 2010, 01:52:58 am »

Hmmm, I'm a bit confused Shade-o.  Do I get to pick up a new trait, get rid of one of my negatives, or what?

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 10, 2010, 01:53:41 am »

You may redo any of the six traits you picked.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 10, 2010, 01:55:32 am »

We're all dwarfs, so that means he's becoming sober. Drink some heavier stuff so you don't kill everyone in the bar Zergling.

I can't do much, so I'll continue the course. If I spot anything suspect at all, even a little bit, and it isn't a recruit, the captain, the cargo, or the crew of the barge, shoot it down.

[EDIT]
Can I use Magic-touched to detect monsters in this segment?
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 10, 2010, 01:57:49 am »

Hmmm, would it be possible to change a negative into a positive, or just switch them around within their own groups?

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 10, 2010, 02:00:04 am »

Lillipad
Magic-touched would only with explicitly magical monsters. Powerful artifacts, demons, undead, elementals, nature spirits, that sort of thing. You won't detect giant beetles or kobolds with it.

V-Norrec
Just pretend you don't have any traits except for the Peasant ones. Go from there.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 10, 2010, 02:01:56 am »

I continue to enhance the alchohol content of my blood, while telling the sorrowful yet somehow emotionally uplifting tale of my unemployment due to magma "accidents".
Remember that time all the stills caught fire, and the boose exploded?
Someone should put a stop to that. They really should.

I probably won't be able to post again for ten hours (need sleep), so don't wait up.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 10, 2010, 02:04:31 am »

Well, I'll be one step ahead of people in finding neat objects, and avoiding a fair portion of disasters. That counts for something.

I can't do much, so I'll continue the course. If I spot anything suspect at all, even a little bit, and it isn't a recruit, the captain, the cargo, or the crew of the barge, shoot it down.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 10, 2010, 02:13:08 am »

FuzzyZergling
You recount a story while sipping beer, and everyone listens carefully. By the end there are tears to be seen. You have a veritable harem by now.

Lillipad
The barge continues on, bumping wreckage aside. Suddenly it grinds to a halt, causing everyone to stumble. A large piece of timber is blocking the path, and until it's moved the barge cannot move forward. You realise that you must now be in the very centre of the wrecks. All around, wood bobs in the turbulence from the barge. It's hard to tell from all the chaotic movements, but it almost seems as if some of the fragments are moving oddly.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 10, 2010, 02:14:41 am »

Well OK

Good Traits:  Super Sane, Liar, Unbreakable (all the same)
Bad Traits:  Cold-Blooded, Not a Rider, Stone-faced

Here's hoping this turns out well.  >.>  <.<

Action:  "Well that was odd."  Get on the barge and investigate it fully.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 10, 2010, 02:23:00 am »

Have everyone stop talking, and try to have my eyes adjust to the annoyingly high contrast in the light. Grab a lantern, light a bolt on fire, then fire at the mysteriously moving pieces. NO RISKS WILL BE TAKEN. If they're friendly, then we just killed friends, chances are it's not friendly. Have the crew back the barge up away from the wreckage as fast as possible, Pour lantern oil on as much of the wreckage as possible, and begin shooting fire bolts to try and burn it away once we're a safe distance from the oiled areas.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 10, 2010, 02:45:06 am »

V-Norrec
In addition to the more obvious changes, the gods saw fit to remove your light-blindness, though now you feel distinctly chilly in this cavern. You also have an inexplicable inkling that one of your dead relatives just broke out of their coffin. More immediately, your face has become a pretty but grim bulwark. Good for card games, but not if you're trying to act enthusiastic about something.

Realising that you'll have plenty of time later to figure out just what the hells happened, you turn back to your boat. You take a flying leap across the gap, and thump onto the solid deck. It's just a flat wooden platform, with iron hooks around the edge for securing cargo nets and ropes. The propeller crank and rudder shaft are gently rocking in the water. You're not sure what you're looking for.

Lillipad
Despite the grim situation, you are struck by an odd notion. Somewhere in the distance, something unnatural and hideous has occurred. In addition, you have a fleeting vision of an undead dwarf punching his way out of a granite sarcophagus in a separate but related event.

Back in the moment, you yell to the crew reverse the barge. The captain doesn't belay the order, and the rest are more than happy to leave. It disengages from the lumber with a jerk.

Struck by an idea, you smash the glass on a nearby lantern. The light flickers but doesn't disappear. You dip a bolt into the oil, and quickly load the flaming missile. You aim and fire it at a large piece of wreckage on the edge of the light, avoiding any damage to the crossbow. The bolt strikes and embeds in the panel, knocking it backwards in the water and revealing a surprised-looking goblin that was swimming underneath it. The feeble light from the bolt briefly reveals scores of gleaming eyes further away, above water level.

You yell to the recruits to hurl the bottles of lantern oil lying on the deck. They do so, aiming at rocks and large pieces of wreckage that cause the containers to smash. The crew cranks faster in fear, you prepare to light another bolt, and a collective roar echoes through the cavern.

You gon' get it!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 249