Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: What if....  (Read 3759 times)

Lumbajak

• Bay Watcher
  • They call me Jude
    • View Profile
Re: What if....
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2010, 12:59:43 am »

That quote train is pretty much why I wish I could skip the babies part and go straight to children.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2010, 01:09:10 am »

Adopt. The kid will probably appreciate you more if you get it from another country.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2010, 01:14:13 am »

Ah yes, qualia was what you were looking for. Just how 'green' can something be?

Color is a constant, perhaps what you were looking for proof in other ways. When you're reading this, your personal narrator sounds drastically different than mine, and there are some who read this without even sounding out the words.

If you don't grasp the idea of reading words without associating them with a sound, think of when you do a sodoku puzzle. I would say math, but most logically voice the problem to solve it.

(I went through this phase about two years ago. It subsides when you realize it solves little and you have to make your own goals for life.)
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2010, 01:25:47 am »

I think a huge number of people respond to the avatar, instead of the person.

This is a slightly unrelated theory. I want to test it out for one of my uni classes, though I'm not sure how to go about it yet.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2010, 01:45:43 am »

In terms of forums? You could making an introductory greeting post in various forums, with some gender-neutral avatar and speech, then try the same speech with a gender-assumed avatar to see if there's a change in it. Unfortunately, you'd have to find quite a few forums to test this on (say 15 if you do 5 of each for control), and you couldn't use the same forum twice if the speech is the same.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2010, 02:21:31 am »

I'm not doing anything scientific. One of the profs is running a new performance about the internet and society for the winter semester, so all of us in his current dramaturgy class gets to dramaturge it. There might even be people in my class lurking here right now. I know of one guy who has been active on Gamefaqs for what I assume to be a number of years, as well. So I guess our research will be coming from a more familiar perspective, especially in contrast with the prof, who is fascinated by cyberculture but finds it to be alien to him.

I've decided to focus on online communities, such as this one, to observe how people in them interact and behave, perhaps differently than they would in real life. I don't really want any malleable scientific results, I just want to push into these communities and see how they push back.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 02:23:28 am by Grakelin »

Polar_Atom

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Cancels Life: Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2010, 06:01:04 am »

Oh please.

Make light which is, more or less, 400 nm. Everybody will tell you it's blue.

The point is, that everyone will say its blue because they've been taught to perceive that particular wavelength as blue. So your argument is redundant.

Also I should've known my attempt to start internet dwindle would turn demeaningly on me, and that it would just be a 'whose got the biggest dick contest' about who thought about this first.

I'll have you know though, when I shared my pondering with my twin in the womb, she got freaked the FUCK out. So much so she died and disintegrated so that I'm not a twin.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 06:05:56 am by Polar_Atom »
This forum post menaces with spikes of humour.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2010, 09:10:15 am »

Oh please.

The point is, that everyone will say its blue because they've been taught to perceive that particular wavelength as blue. So your argument is redundant.

More accurately, our name for it is blue. We all (unless we're colourblind or something like.) see the same colour, because our eyes are all pretty much the same.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2010, 02:54:51 pm »

Oh please.

Also I should've known my attempt to start internet dwindle would turn demeaningly on me, and that it would just be a 'whose got the biggest dick contest' about who thought about this first.

I'll have you know though, when I shared my pondering with my twin in the womb, she got freaked the FUCK out. So much so she died and disintegrated so that I'm not a twin.

You'd be a chimera then, presumably.

But I've got you beat. Before conception, when I made up part of the essence that is the possibility of life, an enormous swirling maelstrom of could-bes, the undefinable mess looked out at creation and realized how useless the whole idea was and decided to think about something else.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]