Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What if....  (Read 3762 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What if....
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 02:31:01 pm »

Yeah, I had this thought when I was like twelve and went 'holy crap i'm really philosophical and stuff i'm clever!'

Then after thinking about it I realized nothing changed and it wasn't even a particularly interesting idea. I'm not at all surprised to hear I'm not alone in this.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 02:40:36 pm by Jackrabbit »

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 02:35:22 pm »

Oh please.

Make light which is, more or less, 400 nm. Everybody will tell you it's blue.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 02:36:55 pm »

And Dwarf misses the point completely!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2010, 02:37:22 pm »

I suppose we'll be able to find out with absolute certainty once medical science progresses to the point where we can remove the entire eye and optic nerve of one person and put it in someone else.
Nope. It's the circuits behind that (particularily the calcarine cortex) that do the interpretation, so likely you'd get the same.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2010, 02:38:44 pm »

Oh I'm pretty sure nearly all humans perceive colors the same. We're sort of the same animal after all.
We even know how dogs perceive colors, why not humans.

We also know that insects, birds, and some invertebrates can percieve the ultraviolet spectrum, and humans can't. At least not without special equipment. However we don't know how they percieve the colors in the ultraviolet spectrum simply because we can't see them.

Same goes for snakes which sense heat like its a second kind of vision (not sure if ALL snakes have it, but the group known as the vipers are best known for it), we don't know how they percieve it, but we can get a pretty good idea with Infrared photography.

Edit: Just checked wiki and it evolved in different lineages, the Pit Vipers and some boas and pythons.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 02:45:55 pm by smjjames »

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2010, 02:39:31 pm »

Nope. It's the circuits behind that (particularily the calcarine cortex) that do the interpretation, so likely you'd get the same.
In that case you just need partial brain transplants. Or, more likely, partial brain cloning and replacement for traumatic brain injuries. The first is mad science, the second perfectly sound hypothetical medicine.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2010, 02:44:43 pm »

Heh, if I view the blue as the same color as you view red and science proves this somehow... do I have a disorder if 90% of people also view it as my red?
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2010, 02:45:53 pm »

I dont think so, as it wouldn't affect your life in any meaningful way. It would just be a variant of the norm.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2010, 02:50:05 pm »

The first is mad science, the second perfectly sound hypothetical medicine.
Silence! Your pathetic reason will not stop me from transplanting partial brains! We will fuel it with the unlimited power of lightning!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2010, 02:57:37 pm »

I'm too lazy to dig up an old Ozy and Millie strip with the exact sentence from the OP.  More's the pity, but whatever.  Point is, everyone has had this idea and realized it's nonsense.

It can be scientifically tested, because we have spectrometers, and we can look at eye-cells and nerves.  Turns out, pretty much everyone's eyes and brains work about the same way, so there's no reason for anyone to same the same colors differently.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2010, 02:59:41 pm »

Oh I'm pretty sure nearly all humans perceive colors the same. We're sort of the same animal after all.
We even know how dogs perceive colors, why not humans.

We also know that insects, birds, and some invertebrates can percieve the ultraviolet spectrum, and humans can't. At least not without special equipment. 
Fun factoid: The human retina is actually receptive to parts of the near ultra-violet radiation, but it's blocked out by the lens. People who lack a lens sometimes report seeing into the ultraviolet, though focusing on it becomes harder of course.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2010, 03:12:08 pm »

I can same the same if I want.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2010, 03:26:20 pm »

Psh, you guys and your colors when you're 15.  When I was like four I went the whole nine yards with this.  What if not just colors, but everything is different from person to person?  Each individual perception of events is so wildly different from that of everyone else that no comparisons can be drawn, but sensory input is modified so even though what you're talking about is completely different from what I'm seeing, I hear your words as if you were seeing what I'm seeing.

So I see this computer as a shimmering golden disk that speaks in all consonants what you guys are saying, but when I talk about it it's automatically translated so it appears to you that I'm talking about the pool of sentient neuroslime that projects our communication directly into your brain.

So yeah, everything I do is cooler than what you do, even my ridiculous thought experiments.
Shoes...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2010, 03:34:26 pm »

I also did that, but then I got high off sugar and just ran around being a little shit.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2010, 03:44:17 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 09:30:12 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4