Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10948 10949 [10950] 10951 10952 ... 10996

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13577007 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #164235 on: January 06, 2024, 02:52:58 am »

I've always wondered why they haven't made swapable batteries for electric cars.

Also for my own WTF I was looking at a website that sells random products from China and the product that made me do a double take was a small pin of a star of David with a swastika in the middle of it, I can't think of who this thing is marketed towards as I can't imagine that there are that many Jewish Nazis around.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #164236 on: January 06, 2024, 03:41:49 am »

I've always wondered why they haven't made swapable batteries for electric cars.

Also for my own WTF I was looking at a website that sells random products from China and the product that made me do a double take was a small pin of a star of David with a swastika in the middle of it, I can't think of who this thing is marketed towards as I can't imagine that there are that many Jewish Nazis around.

Maybe it was a raelian pin
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164237 on: January 06, 2024, 04:45:58 am »

Maybe it was a raelian pin
That looks like the right thing, also didn't know that was a religion.

Also being a Chinese site it wasn't identified as a raelian pin but star of David gift pin swastika and a bunch of other tags I couldn't see.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #164238 on: January 06, 2024, 05:28:32 am »

Actually there's a Chinese startup doing (or at least promising) exactly that, apparently with the intent of having a subscription service for being able to use their swap-stations to just drive up and get a new battery. Also these batteries are, like, way better than the normal type.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #164239 on: January 06, 2024, 06:16:34 am »

In conventional electric cars, the battery takes up pretty much the entire bottom of the car and can only be removed by disassembling the entire thing. To make it accessible for swapping, you would have to accept a significantly smaller battery with lower range, make the car itself larger, or put the battery somewhere else. This last option would not only take up a lot of the all-important interior space usually occupied by passengers or cargo, but would adversely affect handling characteristics.

It could be done if desirable, but in practice the conventional method is better. The floor positioning of the battery allows for larger capacity (and thus longer range), it doesn't take away from your ability to use the car as a car, and the range is long enough that most people don't need to recharge on-the-go if they have some method of charging at home.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #164240 on: January 06, 2024, 07:14:12 am »

Actually there's a Chinese startup doing (or at least promising) exactly that, apparently with the intent of having a subscription service for being able to use their swap-stations to just drive up and get a new battery. Also these batteries are, like, way better than the normal type.

The newsphere here just went through a big round of scandals related to the various electric-car start-ups here. The advice has come down as either buy Tesla (read, foreign) or BYD (which is the cheapest manufacturer of evs).

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #164241 on: January 06, 2024, 03:00:36 pm »

Connected with someone on a dating app. Chatted all day. Talked for several hours on the phone later. Seemed to be going well. Made plans to meet and have drinks this weekend. Texted to confirm....and just got ghosted.

Man I'm so fucking sick of peoples' fickle hearts.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #164242 on: January 06, 2024, 08:08:49 pm »

In conventional electric cars, the battery takes up pretty much the entire bottom of the car and can only be removed by disassembling the entire thing. To make it accessible for swapping, you would have to accept a significantly smaller battery with lower range, make the car itself larger, or put the battery somewhere else. This last option would not only take up a lot of the all-important interior space usually occupied by passengers or cargo, but would adversely affect handling characteristics.

It could be done if desirable, but in practice the conventional method is better. The floor positioning of the battery allows for larger capacity (and thus longer range), it doesn't take away from your ability to use the car as a car, and the range is long enough that most people don't need to recharge on-the-go if they have some method of charging at home.

I was just going to suggest having the floor battery on a rack that can be pulled out through the rear bumper, but realized that could get in the way of the rear axle/motors. Maybe if that could be solved, say making a slimmer battery or wider clearance between the rear wheels
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164243 on: January 06, 2024, 08:28:58 pm »

Swapping battery packs is not a feasible engineering goal. If you want "swappable" batteries, we should be pouring (pun intended) money into liquid-air batteries that allow the oxidized electrolyte to be pumped out and replaced with non-oxidized electrolyte.

The compromises necessary to maintain crash integrity and allow swapping out 500kg+ of battery is, frankly, a ridiculous waste of engineering and material resources.  That doesn't even take into account the complex machinery infrastructure you'd need to put in place to swap out the batteries. Consider how hard a time we are having just putting out solid-state chargers; can you imagine how much space it will take to manage enough equipment and pack storage to swap out batteries for the equivalent throughput of a gas station? And keep it maintained, since it has to be equipment robust enough to deftly handle those large, heavy packs?

I mean I would like faster charge times too, but swappable battery packs creates 10 problems for every one it solves.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #164244 on: January 06, 2024, 10:19:09 pm »

I tried Hearts of Iron IV again. I'm 37 hours in and the game still feels completely incomprehensible. I like to think I'm alright at complicated games. I've managed to learn Dwarf Fortress, Stellaris, Rimworld, Myst, but HOI IV though, I start up a match and it feels like the game is speaking a foreign language the whole time.

I think I've said it before, but I consider HOI IV my personal gaming nemesis. I really would like to get into the game, I love the idea of it, but I've never managed to penetrate the mechanics.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #164245 on: January 06, 2024, 10:21:49 pm »

Not so much complicated as intentionally obtuse.  ::) It will probably not surprise you that to perform simple operation of putting troops on ships and moving them to somewhere else I had to compile information from three diffirent threads asking the same question, because neither game or wiki have proper instructions. And generally my expirience with (not) understanding it was the same.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2024, 10:23:41 pm by MCreeper »

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164246 on: January 07, 2024, 03:54:14 am »

Swapping battery packs is not a feasible engineering goal. If you want "swappable" batteries, we should be pouring (pun intended) money into liquid-air batteries that allow the oxidized electrolyte to be pumped out and replaced with non-oxidized electrolyte.

The compromises necessary to maintain crash integrity and allow swapping out 500kg+ of battery is, frankly, a ridiculous waste of engineering and material resources.  That doesn't even take into account the complex machinery infrastructure you'd need to put in place to swap out the batteries. Consider how hard a time we are having just putting out solid-state chargers; can you imagine how much space it will take to manage enough equipment and pack storage to swap out batteries for the equivalent throughput of a gas station? And keep it maintained, since it has to be equipment robust enough to deftly handle those large, heavy packs?

I mean I would like faster charge times too, but swappable battery packs creates 10 problems for every one it solves.
And let's remember that not only do lithium batteries double as thermite bombs, they also have a low chance of spontaniously combusting when in use or charging. Not an issue if you have one or two, but if you are charging a whole bunch in a small space, this would become a risk.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #164247 on: January 07, 2024, 04:01:22 am »

Part of it is that the game is deliberately targeting a very specific kind of nerdery that will understand a lot of military and midcentury political things before starting, so the game doesn't bother to explain the.

Part of it is that the game mechanics have been repeatedly overwritten and revised since launch, causing a confusing layer cake of systems and a lack of updates for the tutorials that exist (a Paradox tradition!).

And part of it is that the game mechanics badly needed that revising and need still more because they're not fully thought out and implemented imperfectly and unintuitively (another Paradox tradition!).

Hearts of Iron gets this worse than any Paradox series except maybe Victoria*, because every single game in the series takes a fundamentally different approach to the same damn content.

*Whereas the Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, and Hearts Of Iron series get new games instead of more DLC because of a desire for a different approach/clean break in the mechanics and the ability to target a new generation of hardware, Victoria 3 exists mostly because Victoria 2's economy (which is the primary meat of the game) was so badly broken that the guy who created it no longer understood how it worked. After attempting to fix it, they decided that the only solution was to burn the whole thing down.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #164248 on: January 07, 2024, 10:01:11 am »

Vikkie 3 is a shame.  I get the desire to start over, but 2 has a charm 3 never will.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164249 on: January 07, 2024, 10:06:56 am »

HoI3 is honestly my favorite of anything paradox did, despite being so unfinished. So much wasted potential.
Pages: 1 ... 10948 10949 [10950] 10951 10952 ... 10996