Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10623 10624 [10625] 10626 10627 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14562738 times)

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #159360 on: February 07, 2022, 10:44:23 pm »

I'm in the local community band, and this time around we're playing a piece that I'd actually performed once prior in high school. It's a piece that's based off a poem written in anger and mourning for the poet's father dying of cancer.

The tricky part is that I had to perform it mere hours after learning my own grandfather had died of cancer. I was a wreck by the end of it- I'd never wanted to hear the piece again.

Now, some ten years later, I didn't realize I'd have such a physiological reaction to rehearsing it. Heart rate way up, the cacophony both familiar and dissonant and intense, the threat of tears not far from my eyes, muscle memory for each note unwavering as something in my head unravels, hands shaking. I was wired. I was angry. Kind of wanted to step outside and just yell for a bit.

I still kind of do.

I'll count it as a blessing if this is the only major trauma I've had to carry up to this point and this is just the tiny, totally optional point of leverage to pry at the scab that's sat so quietly there. But... Shit. I'll do well to remember how I feel now when others talk about their traumas.

Still gonna perform it. It's in the roster and I pleaded for first part as I'd played it so many years ago. Hopefully it's... Healing, somehow.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #159361 on: February 09, 2022, 02:42:42 pm »

1. Two days ago was merrily running around when my whole family was with covid, not noticing anything wrong with myself at all except cough i had for 10 days. They told me to check my temperature just in case. 37.5. O-ow.
Yesterday was lying on the bed, totally disincled to do anything and freezing under two sheets, with 37.5.
Today everything is fine, except i got a runny nose too and still have a cough.  ::)
2. Related, a freshly unpacked bottle of clear nose drops turned out to be a bottle of solid-white Thing. When my grandmother, failing to notice that, used the Thing, it apparently left her with nauseating aftertaste for half a hour. It should not have expired yet.

And the bad thing is that i should go to dentist in 10 days to finish healing my tooth.  ::)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 03:08:07 pm by MCreeper »
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #159362 on: February 09, 2022, 07:01:48 pm »

Speaking of dentistry, my wisdom teeth are coming in underneath my molars and have pushed them out at 45 degree angles out of my jaw. Not painful in the slightest except for where I bit my cheek and it was rubbing against one of them, which is how I noticed
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #159363 on: February 09, 2022, 07:03:30 pm »

Call your dentist and make an extraction appointment now. It will save you a lot of agony later.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159364 on: February 09, 2022, 10:14:45 pm »

Lying in bed unable to sleep and I heard a thunk from my pet vivariums. Didn't sound like the tortoise moving in the night, or the snake doing some exploring so I got up to check.

My giant snail had fallen off the wall or ceiling of it's set up and was stuck on it's back, or at least hadn't gotten gotten a good enough grip to pull it's shell upright, the head and foot were stretched off to the side trying to find something to hold on to.

Had it for nearly a year and it's the first time it's done that, at least to my knowledge, but then it's shell is getting progressively larger and heavier so I guess it's going to be getting less able to climb as it gets close to full size.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #159365 on: February 10, 2022, 07:56:49 am »

highlight of today's dream: lovecraftian burlesque dancer, famous for her "skinless sultana" act

it's one where one of the tentacles she uses like a particularly enthusiastic feather boa swings out, then slams back into her, causing her flesh to temporarily splash out in a cascade of worms, leaving a shimmying, singing skeleton for a few moments

no joke one of the most impressive things i can recall dream brain producing, but seriously, what the fuck dream brain

relevant to the dream, she was actually dead sometime prior to it, with her lover devastated and clandestiningly turning young sibling orphans into merged eyeball beasts because of it. pair of magic detectives come in for something else (loverboy was hosting the participants for some kind of tournament thing, still had some neat stuff going on but far less interesting than the mystery fiction interrupt), find his secret chamber with the eyeball monster squirreled away, end up putting down the monsterous bastard turning children into nightmare things

overall it was pretty damn interesting, but the risque dancer using tentacles and fleshshaping as a part of their act was definitely the most interesting
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159366 on: February 10, 2022, 08:07:54 am »

What the actual fuck did I just read about the USA gov giving crack pipes to people???
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #159367 on: February 10, 2022, 08:10:57 am »

You just read GOP horseshit lying about the form a bog standard drug abuse mitigation program takes.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #159368 on: February 10, 2022, 08:42:30 am »

What the actual fuck did I just read about the USA gov giving crack pipes to people???

That would make perfect sense in these times of corona to prevent saliva transmission.

Our dutch government has been supplying heroin addicts with clean syringes for 60 years now to prevent the spread of infectious diseases like for example HIV through needle sharing.

Myself, I've stopped sharing joints ever since the pandemic started. I'd rather not pass the dutchie or be passed one in these times.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 08:45:36 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

None

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159369 on: February 10, 2022, 10:08:06 am »

It's not like handing someone a crack pipe is going to make them a crack user any more than handing someone a ladle will make them a chef.

It was kinda gross to see that it was headline news on an empty Bing tab (sorry, use Edge for work), given how LordBaal's reaction is precisely how they were hoping it would drive engagement. Bing is pretty gross about which headlines it aggregates.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #159370 on: February 10, 2022, 11:54:24 am »

Its a gateway program.  Get these people into the clinics, in contact with counselor, and documented.  It's not like it's take-a-penny, leave-a-penny - there will be paperwork.

While there, other services can be offered.

Then, later on the lawmakers that be can expand the program as they see fit.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #159371 on: February 10, 2022, 11:59:08 am »

It's not like handing someone a crack pipe is going to make them a crack user any more than handing someone a ladle will make them a chef.
You say that, but so far I'm at a 100% success rate for everyone I gave a knife becoming an avid enthusiast of cooking or stabbing

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #159372 on: February 10, 2022, 12:01:49 pm »

It was kinda gross to see that it was headline news on an empty Bing tab (sorry, use Edge for work), given how LordBaal's reaction is precisely how they were hoping it would drive engagement. Bing is pretty gross about which headlines it aggregates.

It was fake news.

None

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159373 on: February 10, 2022, 12:33:27 pm »

The grossness isn't at the program itself, whatever shape it takes, but at the browser's glee at presenting the headline. I didn't look into the actual article, I just assumed it was horseshit in some fashion.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159374 on: February 10, 2022, 01:09:17 pm »

If you want some more WTF, here you go ...

They can't push school choice in order to segregate from Black students anymore, so they're going after the trans kids. Ho hum.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 10623 10624 [10625] 10626 10627 ... 11040