Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10100 10101 [10102] 10103 10104 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14548701 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #151515 on: May 17, 2020, 12:28:39 pm »

I think I've seen Rose as Rose since before yesterday; I think at least about a week ago.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #151516 on: May 17, 2020, 12:44:33 pm »

-snip-
When the fuck did you change your username and how am I only noticing it now?
What was their username earlier?
Japa.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #151517 on: May 17, 2020, 01:45:52 pm »

It'd be nice if you chose to spoiler that, since deadnaming can have a negative emotional impact.

That probably seems a little silly, and my personal feelings on the matter are probably closer to most peoples.  I go by my given name and gendered pronouns all the time, and I'm mostly okay with that.  I prefer they/them but for me personally, it's not really a big deal (at least for impersonal relations).

For other people it matters a whole lot.  I didn't get that before, but I've listened and learned.  I would guess it actually matters a lot to most cis people too, they just don't have to worry about it hardly ever.  I'm very fortunate and unusual to be, well, flexible.

As for labels:  They're useful for forming support networks and organizing against very real, very ongoing legal discrimination.  When discrimination is over, they won't be as necessary.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151518 on: May 17, 2020, 01:54:14 pm »

There's a difference between biological sex and gender.

Also, I feel like you might have misinterpreted Rose. Rose is saying that she has a Y chromosome, but she feels like a woman anyway.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 01:58:56 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #151519 on: May 17, 2020, 02:03:05 pm »

Yeah, there was a guy named Japa. I killed and replaced him. Having people know that name doesn't bother me because it's not mine.

And yeah, barring genetic testing which I haven't done, a good assumption is that I have a Y chromosome.

Thankfully for everybody, I think, nobody carries around a genetic sequencer with them to check if somebody is a "man" or a "woman", because that would be stupid.

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151520 on: May 17, 2020, 02:17:02 pm »

-snip-

You are completely missing the point here dude, Rose is saying the exact opposite. Labels are for you to use for yourself, not for others to throw at you.

I'm a woman, no matter what my genitals, because I am. I'm a gamer, because I love gaming and call myself as such. Bookworm, nerd, girl, fem, etc.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151521 on: May 17, 2020, 03:34:59 pm »

Labels are important even when speaking of another person however, and sometimes you must go off of what you know, no insult meant to the subject person.

Oftentimes in the past I would refer to a person on this forum as a He by default.  I mean no disrespect, Its just that the majority of the forumgoers last I saw the demographics identified as a he.  I try these days to use more gender neutral terms, but sometimes I get into little waterfalls of thought and just type without thinking too much of exactly what words I'm using. 

People applying labels to someone else is a natural part of language as well.  If I call someone by the wrong pronoun, its not that I mean something negative by it, its that a descriptive word is necessary and at some point assumptions need to be made.  When I'm talking with someone else about someone, I'll use words like trans, gay, and bi, as appropriate to my knowledge.  Sometimes you do have to apply labels to someone else.  Sometimes those labels do not fully fit no-one's vocabulary is perfect, it's important to know when someone is intending to be derogatory and when someone is simply using the best terms that fit that they know.

For example, my own gender identity.  I am biologically male.  I identify as male.  As a human I prefer to stay male, and am attracted to females. 
I am also likely many people's definition of a furry, though I imagine I don't fit the definition for some others, as I don't participate in activities much of the fandom does.  In my fantasies I am a different species entirely, and as that species, I am female and bi. In videogames if there is a bestial race, I'll often play that as a female. In Guild Wars 2, 4 of my characters are female charr.  In Phantasy Star Universe my character was a Female beast, in elder scrolls games I often play a female argonian or khajiit.  In FF14 if a female hrothgar became an option I would immediately buy a character appearance change and use it to become one. In Warframe I prefer Zephyr, or Ember with the feathered bird skin.  In my short stint of overwatch I would play Orisa purely on aesthetics. I have not played as dwarves in Dwarf Fortress since 2008.

Does that make me trans? Maybe? Does that make me bisexual? Maybe? Am I straight? Probably not.  Sometimes the labels just don't fit fully, and making up a new word on the spot or going into a complex description may not be called for in casual conversation, so labels even when they don't fully fit can be needed.

EDIT:Verification mostly
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 03:57:47 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151522 on: May 17, 2020, 04:10:54 pm »

For example, my own gender identity.  I am biologically male.  I identify as male.  As a human I prefer to stay male, and am attracted to females. 
I am also likely many people's definition of a furry, though I imagine I don't fit the definition for some others, as I don't participate in activities much of the fandom does.  In my fantasies I am a different species entirely, and as that species, I am female and bi. In videogames if there is a bestial race, I'll often play that as a female. In Guild Wars 2, 4 of my characters are female charr.  In Phantasy Star Universe my character was a Female beast, in elder scrolls games I often play a female argonian or khajiit.  In FF14 if a female hrothgar became an option I would immediately buy a character appearance change and use it to become one. In Warframe I prefer Zephyr, or Ember with the feathered bird skin.  In my short stint of overwatch I would play Orisa purely on aesthetics.

ngl but if you feel that much an affinity for non-human women (or at least feminine) and it goes as far as really enjoying the idea of *being* them you might uh. Wanna explore some of your feelings in more depth. Because this story sounds like one I've heard a *lot*.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151523 on: May 17, 2020, 04:12:27 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #151524 on: May 17, 2020, 04:24:41 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I knew I liked Grim Dawn for a reason.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151525 on: May 17, 2020, 08:42:21 pm »

Apparently whilst drunk yesterday/last night I watched not one, not two, but four episodes of a show without remembering a damn thing.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151526 on: May 17, 2020, 08:45:35 pm »

Apparently whilst drunk yesterday/last night I watched not one, not two, but four episodes of a show without remembering a damn thing.   
do you remember the show’s name? Rewatch the episodes while sober

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #151527 on: May 17, 2020, 08:46:18 pm »

I get drunk and do this, but I usually end up falling asleep in the middle of one of them.  In the case of some internet based podcasts/background noise I will actually experience a net loss of progress on the video so I can refresh myself.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151528 on: May 17, 2020, 09:28:26 pm »

do you remember the show’s name? Rewatch the episodes while sober
Well, yeah, I only discovered this when I went to watch it (it was GLOW) and found that I was four episodes further along than I remembered, haha.
I'm doing just that now. Getting occasional bits of deja vu from certain lines/scenes, which is kind of disconcerting even though I'm pretty sure why.   

I get drunk and do this, but I usually end up falling asleep in the middle of one of them.  In the case of some internet based podcasts/background noise I will actually experience a net loss of progress on the video so I can refresh myself.
I think I may have been asleep for at least some of it, actually. Netflix and its auto-playing of subsequent episodes might be to blame.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #151529 on: May 17, 2020, 10:26:42 pm »

I was just wondering why people say two peas in a pod?

Like we could just say two-pack of Tupac
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway
Pages: 1 ... 10100 10101 [10102] 10103 10104 ... 11038