Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8682 8683 [8684] 8685 8686 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14527459 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #130245 on: January 26, 2018, 05:13:27 am »

Don't get it. Starting to get spooky. Like, 10 times each month, when I look at my alarm clock, it's 11:11. Been like that for that past 3 years.

They call it the 'crazy number' over here in the Netherlands.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130246 on: January 26, 2018, 05:15:54 am »

Well they don't call it that here, so it must not be. ;P

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #130247 on: January 26, 2018, 06:38:40 am »

Don't get it. Starting to get spooky. Like, 10 times each month, when I look at my alarm clock, it's 11:11. Been like that for that past 3 years.

Huh. My alarm clock seems to always say 12:34 when I look at it. Must be a regional thing

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130248 on: January 26, 2018, 06:45:50 am »

Mine always says something unwanted, like 4:00PM.  (I wake up at 9:00pm, and work 3rd shift)

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #130249 on: January 26, 2018, 07:34:25 am »

What is that 'eurowiki' the spambot keeps talking about? Some kind of guide about living in EU?
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #130250 on: January 26, 2018, 07:44:51 am »

Mine always says something unwanted, like 4:00PM.  (I wake up at 9:00pm, and work 3rd shift)

Mine Satan wtfautocorrect says things like 6.30, and I have to get up.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130251 on: January 26, 2018, 08:51:24 am »

I'd have thought it was America, what with all the crazy puritan descendants there.

Antivaxxers are far more likely to be New Age hippy-types than anything else. There's a few Christian denominations that are anti-medicine (and thus anti-vax) but they're a minority.

Really? Huh. Wonder why I was associating it with Bible belters, then.
As I recall, they were the ones who really got it started. I can't speak as to whether the conspiracy theorist/alt-med hippies outnumber them, but if nothing else the religious/deeply-conservative branch of the movement is still the most vocal. The main push from them comes from bogus medical studies claiming vaccines "cause autism" or that they're wildly unsafe for illogical reasons (e.g. "it's possible to make them incorrectly, therefore we should abandon the practice entirely.") There's definitely a weird amount of overlap; "alternative medicine", especially anti-vaxxing and homeopathy, finds adherents both among magic-crystal chakra wizard types and faith healing "cancer is also God's plan" sorts.

There's a certain amount of political alarmism involved, as well; a common thread is "vaccines deny people individual liberty", because apparently potentially killing or maiming both yourself and others is less important than not getting half-dead microbes injected into your arm. This was actually the main thrust of an anti-vaxxer I debated on the internet once, who believed that making people get vaccines will cause the United States to become a totalitarian dictatorship.

Anti-vaxxers have been around since vaccination was invented. There was much opposition to the smallpox vaccine, mostly because a lot of scientists thought that the whole thing was bunk, and smallpox was caused by bad air. There was a small religious opposition, but the main source of opponents were objecting on scientific ground.

You omitted the best part! Smallpox vaccine inventor Edward Jenner PROVED that it worked by cutting open the arm of an 8-year old boy, slamming a bunch of disgusting cowpox pus into his open wound, then after he got sick with the comparatively benign cowpox, deliberately exposed him to smallpox, basically betting life-imprisonment on the bet that vaccination was real and he wasn't actually gonna kill a child through his wild mad scientist ideas.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #130252 on: January 26, 2018, 08:52:40 am »

19th century doctors were the real thing.
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130253 on: January 26, 2018, 08:54:42 am »

Sadly, they were also rather wacko.  Neuroscience in the 19th century was........ wow.

So was gynecology.  Yeesh. I am surprised any women survived.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #130254 on: January 26, 2018, 09:18:59 am »

They didn't. In fact 100% of the women subjected to gynecological treatments in the 19th century have since died.
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130255 on: January 26, 2018, 09:22:15 am »

LOLOLOL!

Oh for shame, you know what I meant! :P

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #130256 on: January 26, 2018, 09:52:42 am »

I recall one of our more renowned veterinary microbiologists had the habit of performing his science at the breakfast table with food and cigars on hand. He eventually caught some horrible cattle disease (one of those hand-foot-mouth things) and died ignominiously.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130257 on: January 26, 2018, 09:55:07 am »

Haha, either would probably be pretty great!
I'm actually up on the Sunny Coast, though, and most of my Straya Day was taken up helping family move house.

Right now I am finally relaxing with a six-pack and a book.
It's finally cooled down, too. ^-^
Yeah it was an absolute scorcher.
Our party of choice ended up consisting of filling an inflatable pool, sitting chest deep and drinking beers for two hours, repeat after lunch- which was sausages on bread (actually a decent veggie representation too)
We did the obligatory backyard cricket later in the afternoon too, so many stereotypes were fulfilled.

Apparently it’s a 48hr event as well because we’re doing Triple-J day tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 09:57:38 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130258 on: January 26, 2018, 10:57:01 am »

Huh. My alarm clock seems to always say 12:34 when I look at it. Must be a regional thing

My sister once told me she kept looking at her clock and it was 10:37. Then I started noticing it, too.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130259 on: January 26, 2018, 11:04:19 am »

My sister once told me she kept looking at her clock and it was 10:37. Then I started noticing it, too.

This is starting to sound like the plot of an M. Night Shamalan movie.
Pages: 1 ... 8682 8683 [8684] 8685 8686 ... 11037