Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8680 8681 [8682] 8683 8684 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14527122 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #130215 on: January 25, 2018, 05:17:03 pm »

I'd have thought it was America, what with all the crazy puritan descendants there.

Antivaxxers are far more likely to be New Age hippy-types than anything else. There's a few Christian denominations that are anti-medicine (and thus anti-vax) but they're a minority.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130216 on: January 25, 2018, 05:17:40 pm »

Solution, put cling wrap in the bowl. Worst case then is that they poop but it's contained in the wrap.

If they were to piss in the bowl, it'd splash everywhere.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #130217 on: January 25, 2018, 05:19:13 pm »

Solution, put cling wrap in the bowl. Worst case then is that they poop but it's contained in the wrap.
Ha, you wish that was the worst case. It might be better to not give people the incentive to start eying the floor or ceiling.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130218 on: January 25, 2018, 05:21:29 pm »

Put a claymore mine in the loo instead. They might still shit in it once, but never twice.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130219 on: January 25, 2018, 05:23:33 pm »

Put a claymore mine in the loo instead. They might still shit in it once, but never twice.

Or at all ever again.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #130220 on: January 25, 2018, 05:44:12 pm »

I'd have thought it was America, what with all the crazy puritan descendants there.

Antivaxxers are far more likely to be New Age hippy-types than anything else. There's a few Christian denominations that are anti-medicine (and thus anti-vax) but they're a minority.

Really? Huh. Wonder why I was associating it with Bible belters, then.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #130221 on: January 25, 2018, 06:04:43 pm »

Or at all ever again.

You make it sound like that's a bad thing.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #130222 on: January 25, 2018, 06:09:10 pm »

As I recall, they were the ones who really got it started. I can't speak as to whether the conspiracy theorist/alt-med hippies outnumber them, but if nothing else the religious/deeply-conservative branch of the movement is still the most vocal. The main push from them comes from bogus medical studies claiming vaccines "cause autism" or that they're wildly unsafe for illogical reasons (e.g. "it's possible to make them incorrectly, therefore we should abandon the practice entirely.") There's definitely a weird amount of overlap; "alternative medicine", especially anti-vaxxing and homeopathy, finds adherents both among magic-crystal chakra wizard types and faith healing "cancer is also God's plan" sorts.

There's a certain amount of political alarmism involved, as well; a common thread is "vaccines deny people individual liberty", because apparently potentially killing or maiming both yourself and others is less important than not getting half-dead microbes injected into your arm. This was actually the main thrust of an anti-vaxxer I debated on the internet once, who believed that making people get vaccines will cause the United States to become a totalitarian dictatorship.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #130223 on: January 25, 2018, 06:35:43 pm »

Today I learned that Firefox is a scummy piece of shit software outright lies.

You know it loves to update constantly? And how you can choose to never update or update only when you confirm that you're ok with it updating? Well, turns out that the only choice is to never check for updates or always update. Because selecting the middle option of you having to choose which updates to install means that the updates are only postponed until you restart Firefox. Because the moment you do, the fucking thing will start the update install process with no cancellation or option buttons, just a progress bar that goes away once it's done the deed.

What's even the fucking point of putting that option there if it's not doing what it says it is? It's not like it's a background thing, the moment you restart you'll realise that the option you selected was bullshitting you into thinking you actually had any control over the software and what it was allowed to do.

Fucking hell do I miss the rage thread sometimes.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #130224 on: January 25, 2018, 06:42:58 pm »

So if Firefox is "Pants on Fire", and Microsoft Edge is... well, Microsoft, and Chrome is, well, Chrome...

What alternatives do we have?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #130225 on: January 25, 2018, 06:52:19 pm »

Opera!

... opera classic. Which discontinued support last year. Not opera opera, which desktop wise is basically a chrome reskin. Android version's fairly alright, though. Currently letting me roll with 48 tabs open on an oldish kindle and has working adblock, which is about all I ask for.

E2: And it actually has a counter for your total open tabs! I don't have to count any more. It's a feature I never realized I wanted.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 06:55:25 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #130226 on: January 25, 2018, 07:03:11 pm »

Today I learned that Firefox is a scummy piece of shit software outright lies.

You know it loves to update constantly? And how you can choose to never update or update only when you confirm that you're ok with it updating? Well, turns out that the only choice is to never check for updates or always update. Because selecting the middle option of you having to choose which updates to install means that the updates are only postponed until you restart Firefox. Because the moment you do, the fucking thing will start the update install process with no cancellation or option buttons, just a progress bar that goes away once it's done the deed.

What's even the fucking point of putting that option there if it's not doing what it says it is? It's not like it's a background thing, the moment you restart you'll realise that the option you selected was bullshitting you into thinking you actually had any control over the software and what it was allowed to do.

Fucking hell do I miss the rage thread sometimes.

On the flip side, I can't get Waterfox to update half the time even when it says it's trying to. ><

Alas we must not let that genie out of the bottle again.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #130227 on: January 25, 2018, 07:05:03 pm »

As I recall, they were the ones who really got it started. I can't speak as to whether the conspiracy theorist/alt-med hippies outnumber them, but if nothing else the religious/deeply-conservative branch of the movement is still the most vocal. The main push from them comes from bogus medical studies claiming vaccines "cause autism" or that they're wildly unsafe for illogical reasons (e.g. "it's possible to make them incorrectly, therefore we should abandon the practice entirely.") There's definitely a weird amount of overlap; "alternative medicine", especially anti-vaxxing and homeopathy, finds adherents both among magic-crystal chakra wizard types and faith healing "cancer is also God's plan" sorts.

There's a certain amount of political alarmism involved, as well; a common thread is "vaccines deny people individual liberty", because apparently potentially killing or maiming both yourself and others is less important than not getting half-dead microbes injected into your arm. This was actually the main thrust of an anti-vaxxer I debated on the internet once, who believed that making people get vaccines will cause the United States to become a totalitarian dictatorship.

Anti-vaxxers have been around since vaccination was invented. There was much opposition to the smallpox vaccine, mostly because a lot of scientists thought that the whole thing was bunk, and smallpox was caused by bad air. There was a small religious opposition, but the main source of opponents were objecting on scientific ground.

In the 1970s, there was considerable opposition to the Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis (DTP) vaccine. This appears to be solely based on claims that it caused brain damage. There was a massive drop of DTP vaccination (and resultant outbreaks) in the UK, but the panic never set in in the US.

The modern anti-vax movement only really got started when the maker of a rival MMR vaccine started spewing out lies to discredit the one in common use. As with the DTP vaccine, the whole mess started in the UK before spreading to the US. Unlike with the DTP vaccine, this time around stupid celebrities gave this nut a voice, and it fireballed from there.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #130228 on: January 25, 2018, 07:08:04 pm »

Also, the whole thing where the Vacc part of Vaccine made a lot of people uncomfortable about messing with cows.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #130229 on: January 25, 2018, 07:34:03 pm »

Everybody loves cows
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 8680 8681 [8682] 8683 8684 ... 11037