Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8669 8670 [8671] 8672 8673 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14525391 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #130050 on: January 19, 2018, 08:31:51 am »

Cape Town (SA) is one of the first major cities in the world to feel the consequences of global warming very directly.
The government has instated emergency rules to ration the water.
It is forbidden to wash cars, water lawns, or fill swimming pools. Furthermore, the country's agricultural sector will need to lower it's water usage to 60%, and Kaapstad residents are forbidden to use more than 50 liters of water per day. Using more will lead to hefty fines.
After three dry winters, the three dammed lake reservoirs that supply the city of water have nearly completely dried up. In 2014 they were still overflowing.

With the extreme measures, the government hopes to prevent a disaster. If no measures are taken, it is predicted that coming 21st of april, there will be no more tap water for the four million inhabitants of South Africa's capital, nor for the 2 million tourists that visit it each year.

Meanwhile, people are queueing up at one of the 200 public water distribution points that have been installed in and around Cape Town, to fill bottles and jerrycans.
Max 25 liter per person.
https://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/ongekend-harde-maatregelen-in-kaapstad-nog-even-en-er-komt-geen-water-meer-uit-de-kraan~a4559765/
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #130051 on: January 19, 2018, 09:45:44 am »

Human uselessness is also a significant factor

"Despite our urging for months, 60% of Capetonians are callously using more than 87 litres per day," she added, referring to the current daily limit.
Government should've stepped in months earlier when they realized the majority of Capetonians were ignoring them. Regarding the claim that Cape Town is one of the first to feel the consequences of global warming, Cape Town's case is being affected by El Nino weather patterns and a 3 year water scarcity conditions coupled with an increase in population & water consumption. This is fairly occasional weather, unlike places in India where global warming can be observed to have killed thousands with unusually hot heat waves that have not historically been observed before.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130053 on: January 19, 2018, 11:23:30 am »

I have a deeply philosophical rant about why I believe this behavior exists and seems to be on the rise, but I will spare everyone the pain and suffering.

The short end of the stick is that this is sadly nothing new, and the trend will only get worse.  The thesis statement I will make is that the reason for this and other such atrocities, is because people are not being held sufficiently accountable for their actions, and are allowed to claim ignorance as a defense for being irresponsible.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130054 on: January 19, 2018, 01:34:03 pm »

If there's any place for philosophical rants, it's here.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #130055 on: January 19, 2018, 01:39:15 pm »

The people are assholes.

Not a fan of the fact that the article sounds like it was written by a passive-aggressive teenager, but the assholes described are indeed the larger concern.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130056 on: January 19, 2018, 02:01:44 pm »

Allright then..

Notice that this happened in the US.

In the US, there is a prevailing trend that every single person views themselves as super duper special awesome, and that everyone else is a chump. Combine this with a pathological avoidance of accountability being seen as a POSITIVE thing, and the a pathological sense of entitlement (as a cultural norm), and you end up with situations like this one.  To wit:

1) People feel that they are entitled to whatever the park has to offer (Including the wood from the trees), and that there should be no repercussion from this.
2) People feel that they are special and everyone else are the chumps, so it is perfectly OK for them to leave their broken assed shit in the park, but everyone else shouldnt, and instead should pick up the crap they leave behind.
3) They feel it is a badge of honor to get away with destroying the trees in the park, and leaving their broken assed shit behind for the chumps to clean up. It is only a bad thing if they are caught and punished. (Because that is just unfair!)

This is because the people in general believe:

1) The park is inexhaustible so it is OK to rip branches off the trees; the trees will be just fine, there is no chance for the fire they started to go out of control and this will in no way harm the park / They fail to grasp that it is not just them ripping branches off the trees to make uncontrolled, unapproved campfires, and that large numbers of people just like them are visiting the park doing the same damned things.

2) Goddamnit, they paid their taxes; those pampered park ranger chumps can clean up this shit. We came here to have fun, but the shitty assed cheap sleds we bought couldnt handle the abuse we gave them. (meta-comment: Because the sled makers avoid responsibility to make a quality product, because that is not how you sell more sleds... See item 3.)

3) Avoiding responsibility is how you get ahead in life; being responsible puts you at a disadvantage to those that are irresponsible, so get yours while you can, or you are a chump.

Needless to say, this is pretty much the exact recipe for the tragedy of the commons, and behold, that is exactly what happened here. The US culture idealizes these behaviors both directly and indirectly (Directly, in that it is seen as A-OK for corporations and businesses to be a shitty and cheap as possible, because that is how phat profit is made! Durable goods are bad! Being responsible with the environment is bad! Paying your taxes is bad! Making the cheapest possible crap that people will buy is GOOD!  Finding ways to abuse the commons is GOOD! Avoiding having to pay taxes is GOOD! etc---- Indirectly, in that individual people emulate those behaviors that are idealized by their modern upper echelon peers; Being a two faced, lieing scumbag who does everything possible to exploit a user base, like Zuckerberg, is good! I want to be just like Zuckerberg and be super duper rich (and subsequently, fuck all those other people!) etc.), and at every level, including government. (See how Trump and Co wriggles and writhes when it comes to being responsible for their rhetoric and actions!! The LAST thing they want is to create a trend that holds people accountable!!) Consequently, the notions like "Hey, I like the park, I want it to not be all fucked up, so I wont rip the damned limbs off the trees, start fires, or leave my broken assed shit laying around!" (Or "Hey, I should treat my users with dignity and respect!", or "Hey, I should have some fucking integrity and not be so beholden to dogmatic rhetoric when it comes to governing the nation!") just happens so rarely that when it DOES happen, it becomes a WTF in and of itself.

Basically, we hold terrible, destructive ideals in high esteem, and in so doing, cultivate tragedies of the commons like this.  (See also, Global climate change vs Owning a fucking Hummer.)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130057 on: January 19, 2018, 02:08:51 pm »

@Weird
Not going to quote, but I agree with every word of the above.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #130058 on: January 19, 2018, 03:08:20 pm »

What about the rest of the world?

Any place where people aren't going to do stupid things?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130059 on: January 19, 2018, 04:09:05 pm »

I think that attitude exists in other places, but I don't it's quite worshiped the same way it is here, or taken to the same extreme.

Even countries that have a stereotype for personal/nationalistic pride (France, for instance) look at us like we're insane in that regard.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #130060 on: January 19, 2018, 05:59:56 pm »

Cape Town (SA) is one of the first major cities in the world to feel the consequences of global warming very directly.
The government has instated emergency rules to ration the water.
It is forbidden to wash cars, water lawns, or fill swimming pools.

This has been the status quo for months.

Meanwhile, people are queueing up at one of the 200 public water distribution points that have been installed in and around Cape Town, to fill bottles and jerrycans.
Max 25 liter per person.

That's just wrong. That's the (increasingly likely) Bad End, but it's not happening now.

And yeah, this is influenced by climate change but not necessarily a direct effect. I was reading an interesting paper a while ago, and you can see pretty clearly there's a downward trend, but it's not the sledgehammer massacre people like to claim it is.

I also happen to know Piotr Wolski's son, which is completely unrelated but amuses me.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #130061 on: January 20, 2018, 01:44:08 am »

Dwarf fortress is being weird and i havent been able to figure it out. It thinks, seemingly based on the number of species of plants defined in one file, that one or none of either chickens, guinnea pigs or ducks should contain a cheese material and is throwing up an error because, obviously, none of these creatures can produce milk or cheese in DF. And to test whether it could be a number of objects defined in total issue i deleted random files, but the issue persists, but for instance shifts to thinking beetles should be made of cheese if i delete creature_bird.txt. But if i transfer that plant file to a vanilla version of df without modifying it in any way the error doesnt appear. If i delete it the issue goes away as well.

I have consulted the experts, and the possibility remains that it could be an issue of an unclosed bracket somewhere. Which would be terrifying, because said bracket could be missing from any of the files in my game that ive edited.

Tl;dr DF thinks ducks should be made of cheese and is unhappy this isnt the case because it has too many plants?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130062 on: January 20, 2018, 01:52:52 am »

Duplicate raw file maybe? I know duplicate raws can cause strangeness like that.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #130063 on: January 20, 2018, 01:55:07 am »

Thats the first thing i looked for actually, but it doesnt seem to be the case. Trying to figure it out has given me a headache so maybe in the morning...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130064 on: January 20, 2018, 02:20:59 am »

I have consulted the experts, and the possibility remains that it could be an issue of an unclosed bracket somewhere. Which would be terrifying, because said bracket could be missing from any of the files in my game that ive edited.

That's where you need to learn Regex, because then you can search for all lines that don't end with ']'.
Pages: 1 ... 8669 8670 [8671] 8672 8673 ... 11037