Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8670 8671 [8672] 8673 8674 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14524485 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #130065 on: January 20, 2018, 02:22:40 am »

Regex would pinpoint the file quickly, but getting to where the missing close bracket is inside the file quickly and painlessly is where a format-aware text editor comes in damn handy.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #130066 on: January 20, 2018, 04:12:06 am »

Code: [Select]
\[[^\]]+\nThere you go, "find all open brackets that do not have a close bracket on the same line, quick-and-dirty edition".
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #130067 on: January 20, 2018, 04:31:39 am »

Alternately, remove/dummy out modded files until it starts working.  Whichever one it can run without, that would be the one with your missing bracket.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130068 on: January 20, 2018, 05:30:15 am »

And, if all else fails and you want to take it slow and methodical, just open the file in Notepad, search for '[', and examine every single tag.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #130069 on: January 20, 2018, 06:46:11 am »

Dwarf fortress is being weird and i havent been able to figure it out. It thinks, seemingly based on the number of species of plants defined in one file, that one or none of either chickens, guinnea pigs or ducks should contain a cheese material and is throwing up an error because, obviously, none of these creatures can produce milk or cheese in DF. And to test whether it could be a number of objects defined in total issue i deleted random files, but the issue persists, but for instance shifts to thinking beetles should be made of cheese if i delete creature_bird.txt. But if i transfer that plant file to a vanilla version of df without modifying it in any way the error doesnt appear. If i delete it the issue goes away as well.

I have consulted the experts, and the possibility remains that it could be an issue of an unclosed bracket somewhere. Which would be terrifying, because said bracket could be missing from any of the files in my game that ive edited.

Tl;dr DF thinks ducks should be made of cheese and is unhappy this isnt the case because it has too many plants?
RIP your files.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130070 on: January 20, 2018, 12:12:09 pm »

Apparently they have anime nightclubs

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130071 on: January 20, 2018, 02:21:58 pm »

« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 02:26:05 pm by Reelya »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130072 on: January 20, 2018, 02:26:10 pm »

Suprising, now I'm curious how many japan has (and if they don't have ANY, that would be a suprise)

Sebastian2203

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130073 on: January 20, 2018, 02:26:22 pm »

What the actual fuck JOURNALIST MEDIA!

Little bit of a back-story, my dad is a former mayor of a city.

Apparently, my dad was accused of a crime and made it to the news, picture and everything. GG.

The crime was about some missing money or some debt that I do not care to understand.
The point is that they´ve explicitly put the story in such an angle that it antagonizes my dad and that is making me go crazy.

I´ve grown up in that city, I know everyone who is involved and the news manage to twist it in such a way that I feel like this is a bad joke.

"The former mayor has moved to the south after losing election."

My dad can´t lose an election he wasn't a candidate of... lol, you morons.
He was just sick and tired of the position...

And of course they are going to show a picture of him walking in a suit, to make him look like he is rich with all "that money".
But honestly, who would not go in a suit to a court?

Oh, so we are rich now? Why didn´t nobody tell me? lol.
I literally gave half of my pay-check from a summer job to dad so he would have it easier making the ends meet.. just wow.

After such a quality review of the state of our media, I decided I will take everything I hear from a TV with a grain of salt.

EDIT: Wow, I can even google the list of candidates from that year and my dad is NOT one of them.
They did not even bother to check. whaaaaaaaat.
And I am not even going to mention the rest of the ridiculous report.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 02:36:37 pm by Sebastian2203 »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #130074 on: January 20, 2018, 03:06:53 pm »

Everyone has an agenda, man. Why let facts get in the way of that? :P
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130075 on: January 20, 2018, 03:51:45 pm »

My current favorite media spin bullshit fest was their coverage of ITT Tech closing.

They acted like the government revoking their license for Federal loans was somehow an injustice to for-profit college.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130076 on: January 20, 2018, 04:03:21 pm »

Yeah, it's funny how they'll cry to bring back the government hand-outs for corporations caught scamming the system.

Here's an idea: each educational institute has a loan cap, based on the amount of their previous students able to pay back the loans already given. You can bet damn straight that they start making sure the loans are prioritized for real degrees then and not bullshit ones. Sure, degrees in 18th Century French Literature might suffer, however, should we really be encouraging people to go into debt to learn those things? It's not like it enriches the culture if they never get to use it.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 04:14:00 pm by Reelya »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130077 on: January 20, 2018, 05:09:31 pm »

I mean, I like that plan alot.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130078 on: January 20, 2018, 05:46:31 pm »

i think the current problems arise because literally nobody in the student loans process is in any way invested in the idea of making sure you can pay back the loans before they hand them out.

I mean if you went to the bank and asked for a loan, and when they ask what it's fore you said (making something up) "because I want to paint my head green" they'd tell you to GTFO, however if you went for a student loan for a "Bachelor of Applied Painting Your Head Green" they'd be telling you how great it is, how much demand there is for people with green heads, and the government and everyone would just rubber stamp the whole thing and call it a good deal. And then, at the end of everything you're in debt, and you're unemployable because you have a green head, while the college moves on to convincing the next batch of kids to dye their heads a shade of Chartreuse, and everyone throws their arms up and asks "how did this happen?"

EDIT: Corinthian Colleges was one of the ones closed down a few years ago. The level of "teaching" there was a complete WTF:

In the 2010 investigation of the for-profit college industry, College, Inc., FRONTLINE spoke to three nursing students who had enrolled at Corinthian’s Everest College, paying almost $30,000 for a 12-month program. In the below excerpt from the film, the students said they were told they’d be making between $25 and $35 an hour, but all three struggled to find jobs despite graduating and getting licenses.

“I got my license in December of ’09, and I’ve been on countless interviews,” one of the students told FRONTLINE. “And they all ask if I’ve ever been in a hospital, and I would have to tell them we never set foot in a hospital, ever. We went to a museum of Scientology for our psychiatric rotation.”

Nora, one of the other nursing students, added, “Our pediatrics rotation, we went to a day care.”
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 05:57:07 pm by Reelya »

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #130079 on: January 20, 2018, 06:48:22 pm »

Everyone has an agenda, man. Why let facts get in the way of that? :P
I like to think that I'm not a man to let facts get in the way of my opinion.
In a time before time, I had a name.
Pages: 1 ... 8670 8671 [8672] 8673 8674 ... 11037