Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8579 8580 [8581] 8582 8583 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14519054 times)

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #128700 on: November 13, 2017, 10:06:56 pm »

Just sayin, Wendy's is proudly Christian too but I eat there a lot (:  As long as they don't go out of their way to attack people's rights, it's cool by me.
Christian does NOT equal anti-gay, iirc the bible never actually explicitly states anything of the sort, and there is exactly one line that is open to interpretation as to it's meaning

I'm not entirely sure which verse your talking about as open-ended. I do recall one verse saying something around the lines of "all of you had sinful habits and you may still go to heaven as you have repented of them;" homosexuality being listed as a sinful habit. I suppose you can take that as sorta positive if you really stretch it, but as Egan said there are definitely verses in the New Testament that outright denounce it. Romans 1:27 in particular comes to mind. And then there's all the Old Testament stuff, but I imagine you're not considering that.

That being said, yes, being Christian does not mean being anti-gay. Really as far as I'm concerned if you're a Christian condemning other people for how they live* is not something you should ever do. Damning people is not conducive to treating them with respect which is how you should be treating them first and foremost according to the Bible.

*Unless they're serial killers or mass rapists, etc, which 99% of gays aren't unless there are some crazy statistics which I've never seen. Probably a better wording for this sentence I could've come up with.

tl:dr Yes, the Bible is against homosexuality, but if you're a Christian you shouldn't be judging other people's lives to begin with. Golden rule so on and and so forth

Sermon's over, make sure to pay on the way out or I won't unlock the doors.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 10:13:06 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128701 on: November 13, 2017, 10:24:01 pm »

Blame my faulty memory and conflicting sources for that one,

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128702 on: November 13, 2017, 10:29:11 pm »

Makes me feel glad that I believe that death always results in instant irreversible no-longer-existing. This way I don't have to think about which arbitrary rules I do or don't care about. Everyone gets the same deal, so we can think about more relevant and delicious things like what to have for lunch.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128703 on: November 13, 2017, 10:30:32 pm »

Remember though, the bible is not held to be the word of God himself (unless you're some nutty evangelical). Instead it's supposed to be 'inspired' - so it's perfectly consistent to claim that the rest is all fine and holy, but that particular sentence was just Paul being a dick.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128704 on: November 13, 2017, 10:33:43 pm »

Which falls under the category of worrying about The Rules, and how valid each of them is. That being a thing I'm glad to not engage in.

Like seriously, am I supposed to weigh the ultimate fate of my immortal soul on whether or not I think some dude was being inspired or a dick? I'd much rather say the soul thing gets burnt up when my brain does.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 10:36:00 pm by Egan_BW »

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #128705 on: November 14, 2017, 01:19:16 am »

Eh. After a bit of a curious phase about religion, I summed up most of it as "Good Deeds on (current) Mortal Plane= Good in whatever's next", with a few exceptions.

Personally, my belief is in simply doing good to those around you, leaving as little regrets as you can, and making sure I'm remembered for the right kind of things (applies to Atheism as well- no God means the only 'afterlife' is in the memories and legacy you leave behind you).

That last one may sound selfish, but the best way to see how well you're doing is to at least take the words into consideration- they may well be in the wrong, but if you don't focus on why they're wrong you can find yourself right for the wrong reasons. If you are wrong, it's time to fix your crap.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128706 on: November 14, 2017, 01:47:54 am »

I'm here for things that feel good to my organic evolved brain, and to watch the grand human machine I'm such a tiny part of grind its gears in a hopefully helpful direction. Most of that involves being good to people, because being bad to people feels bad and wrong, and is counterproductive for humanity at large. And people are nice. Good to look at, good to talk to, good to stand near, good to listen to, good to hug.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128707 on: November 14, 2017, 02:29:15 am »

Blame my faulty memory and conflicting sources for that one,

There's a lot in there that people choose to ignore, i was debating a Christian girl once who swore there were no passages in the bible that promote animal sacrifice, basically because she didn't want to believe that there were.

But later I had a look and they're in there in plain detail, (leviticus or Deuteronomy I think) where they talk about how to butcher the sacrificial animal with specifics like cutting the away "the fat of the liver" and something to do with the kidneys I believe. When there's a detailed step by step butchery guide for how to carve up the sacrificial animal then it's ... not really an interpretation thing. It's telling you to sacrifice animals.

Basically a lot of Christians get the benefit of the doubt, ironically, because they clearly haven't read the whole bible that they're claiming is 100% infallable word of God. Or at least they skim through it and ignore the bits that they aren't interested in.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:33:10 am by Reelya »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #128708 on: November 14, 2017, 03:01:41 am »

Well, the new Testament is kinda intended to replace the stuff in the old one. The point of Jesus being to set the Jews straight on shit they were getting wrong and make God's religion being a bit more inclusive and stuff. So Christians are kinda justified in only paying a lot of attention to stuff after the gospels, especially with some views on interpretation/source of the holy book. Their answer to objections based on the OT is basically, "Jesus said we don't have to worry about that any more."

Doesn't mean they don't venerate a book with a lot of crazy shit in it though. That said, a firm grasp on the Golden Rule (which is NOT the focus of some Christian's faith, admittedly) is a pretty admirable way to go through life.
One wheel short of a wagon

Billy

• Bay Watcher
  • 2495 2837 1566
    • View Profile
« Reply #128709 on: November 14, 2017, 04:42:39 am »

I'm still waiting...
You think I can wait for this long, my heart. You break this heart

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #128710 on: November 14, 2017, 05:57:33 am »

I'm still waiting...
You think I can wait for this long, my heart. You break this heart

Ok
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #128711 on: November 14, 2017, 07:24:24 am »

Just sayin, Wendy's is proudly Christian too but I eat there a lot (:  As long as they don't go out of their way to attack people's rights, it's cool by me.
Christian does NOT equal anti-gay, iirc the bible never actually explicitly states anything of the sort, and there is exactly one line that is open to interpretation as to it's meaning

A religion is never limited to it's source material, regardless. It does not make a whole perspective to ignore a religion's full dogma, tradition, and culture when examining it.
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #128712 on: November 14, 2017, 08:01:01 am »

I dunno, lads. It might be time for a change of identity.
Contrary to some of what's been said on this, I'd probably recommend keeping a separate identity for the sort of public dispersal you're talking about. It's decent practice pretty much always when dealing with the internet and anything even remotely approaching the possibility of having professional impact (which inviting fellow workers for a round of whatever definitely has, if small). You're never entirely sure what part of a lengthy history is going to shotgun you in the crotch for a prospective or current employer, and most sorts of those kinds of interactions, direct management or inter-organizational or whatever, can be complicated by that sort of thing.

Basically, you can keep naxza but having a yourname39 equivalent (and yes, something along those lines is recommended for a more professionally connected profile, sadly enough) for interactions with folks you're less comfortable with/could eventually bite you in the ass is fairly high up there on the "good ideas in personal personnel management" list. Maybe whoever it is wouldn't give a casual search for your current one, but maybe they would, too, or someone potentially impactful towards your life could be looking into them and run into your junk by association.

If you don't have real good reason otherwise, why take the risk when not is not much beyond a new email address, and a little bit of message control to keep each set separate, in terms of effort to substantially mitigate it?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #128713 on: November 14, 2017, 08:38:10 am »

I strike a bit of a middle ground, I guess, where it's as tricky as I can reasonably make it to trace Arx back to me, but I'm happy telling people IRL my online handle. I do have the advantage of having a name that's fairly well obscured in search engines (just a funny coincidence), though.

I don't particularly fear potential employers finding my online history. If they're offended by my internet arguments about religion and morality, I doubt I'd be comfortable working for them, and that's basically the only thing they might find in my internet history that they couldn't find in meatspace fairly easily. Anything they run into will also, praise be unto search engines, most likely be my social media accounts dedicated to art - which are as a matter of principle completely divorced from politics of any kind.

I dunno. Maybe I'm lucky in not having any fringe views, so I don't mind if prospective employers see my internet activity. Maybe it's a product of my father having drilled me on internet safety since before I even knew properly what it was.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Billy

• Bay Watcher
  • 2495 2837 1566
    • View Profile
« Reply #128714 on: November 14, 2017, 09:07:40 am »

The start of the marvel cinematic universe is the incredible Hulk.
Pages: 1 ... 8579 8580 [8581] 8582 8583 ... 11037