Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8449 8450 [8451] 8452 8453 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14521284 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #126750 on: September 14, 2017, 06:42:21 pm »

Nah, not this time. Does so happen that particular turn of phrase is rather fitting... fortunately not very fitting, though. Stuff was just a bit of spicy noodle seasoning. Still stung nearly as much as the hindsight stupidity did.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #126751 on: September 14, 2017, 06:43:31 pm »

I would have age preferred the phrase blindingly obvious, but ah well.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #126752 on: September 14, 2017, 07:06:46 pm »

Nah, don't try to convince them from it. Make them go deeper into the heart of madness and conspiracy. For no reason other than that you can.

We should conspire to make them paranoid!
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #126753 on: September 14, 2017, 07:16:09 pm »

I once argued a moon landing denier into a corner and ended up with "the US government had secretly advanced camera technology with which to fake only the first moon landing but did not have secretly advanced rocket technology to accomplish it for real".
I remember when I used to wind up one of my teachers by explaining to them the true Moon Landing conspiracy. I said to them that if you look closely, you can see the American flag on the astronauts, and that the President of the USA secretly held meetings with the NASA before they launched their moon landing - even going so far as to give the NASA AMERICAN MONEY. By the time I got to "THEY THOUGHT WE WOULDN'T NOTICE" my teacher gave up on life

"They made the moon up to control people and get rich, just like they did with God."

"But how would making up the moon landing make you-"

"Not the moon landing. That really happened."

"..."
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #126754 on: September 14, 2017, 07:28:36 pm »

I once argued a moon landing denier into a corner and ended up with "the US government had secretly advanced camera technology with which to fake only the first moon landing but did not have secretly advanced rocket technology to accomplish it for real".
I remember when I used to wind up one of my teachers by explaining to them the true Moon Landing conspiracy. I said to them that if you look closely, you can see the American flag on the astronauts, and that the President of the USA secretly held meetings with the NASA before they launched their moon landing - even going so far as to give the NASA AMERICAN MONEY. By the time I got to "THEY THOUGHT WE WOULDN'T NOTICE" my teacher gave up on life

"They made the moon up to control people and get rich, just like they did with God."

"..."
It's the perfect coverup, landing on the moon was just a distraction from their true agenda, and anyways the moon is just an extension of planet earth that got divorced

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #126755 on: September 14, 2017, 07:31:02 pm »

"..."
It's the perfect coverup, landing on the moon was just a distraction from their true agenda, and anyways the moon is just an extension of planet earth that got divorced
Who divorced them? Theia?

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126756 on: September 14, 2017, 08:00:46 pm »

I think my favorite Moon landing hoax theory is that the landings were faked...on the Moon. According to the theory, we didn't have the technology to get there on our own so we had the aliens from Area 51 haul a camera crew and fake LEM to the Moon along with the retroreflectors and so forth (and bring rocks back). They went and did the same on Mars as well, and NASA's just sitting on the footage/Mars rocks until we have another superpower with which to get into a contest.

Unfortunately, I've never seen the guy I heard it from on the bus since then, so I can't get more from him.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:16:16 pm by Trekkin »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126757 on: September 14, 2017, 09:44:29 pm »

There is a fairly significant hole in that, among all the other nonsense:

Why the fuck would they come back if they've been let go?

Bloody conspiracy theorists and their silliness. At least think it thr... well... maybe that's how we get them in the first place.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #126758 on: September 14, 2017, 09:56:50 pm »

Oh God, I've met some actual 9/11 conspiracy theorists online.

I met one in RL a few weeks ago.

He was actually quite a prominent member of a group that has been set up spouting that thing.
One best argument I found in a thought passing by, is the reality of context.

Like...if they all believe it's a hoax, with the advance of science it would be confirmed as something like that in a couple of years or so after it, because science isn't politicized. :P

...Although I do wonder: WHY OR HOW does that ideology of 'hoaxing' even exist?!
Feels impossible for me >_> Probably because my country isn't one of the first world ones.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126759 on: September 14, 2017, 10:03:02 pm »

He was an engineer, part of a group of engineers and architects that basically said the way the buildings fell down was impossible without using explosives, though they never seem to explain the reason behind it being a conspiracy.

I mean it would have to be a pretty good one to kill a couple of thousand people.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #126760 on: September 14, 2017, 10:23:08 pm »

One popular theory is that Bush wanted to go to war, so he needed orchestrate the attacks to galvanize public opinion.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 06:23:09 am by birdy51 »
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126761 on: September 15, 2017, 02:44:14 am »

Dont be silly. If you are going to go down the scary rabbit hole of "Evil Government Conspiracies" (and to be fair, the USA really *HAS* had some really evil government backed conspiracies-- the syphilis experiments in the south being a noteworthy one, along with MK-Ultra, and pals.) then the obvious one is that the NSA and pals wanted a really compelling reason to greatly erode the US Public's ability to resist extensive wiretapping and other forms of domestic espionage. Couple that with some pork barrel politics, the need for political pressure to be released in the face of an unpopular administration (this was around the same time as the Iraq "where's the WMD!?" debacle, after all), and you end up with a whirlwind of plausible explanation for the government (in its many-agencies form) to find something like 9-11 to be too delicious to pass up. 

Do I think it was an inside job, wholly orchestrated, planned, and delightfully tittered over by some cadre of "very bad rich men"? No.

Do I think that many people in government welcomed it with greedy, gluttonous eyes? YES.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 02:59:25 am by wierd »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #126762 on: September 15, 2017, 03:11:32 am »

On the way to work today, I noticed a short hedge and my immediate thought was; "I could get half cover from this.".
Yeah I have probably been playing a bit much XCOM lately.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126763 on: September 15, 2017, 05:02:52 am »

then the obvious one is that the NSA and pals wanted a really compelling reason to greatly erode the US Public's ability to resist extensive wiretapping and other forms of domestic espionage.

This is basically the correct approach to pull stuff apart. Virtually any government when they target the "other", the actual ultimate end-goal is control of their own domestic population. Usually a giveaway is where they care more about the publicity than the results.

One example is that Australian conservative government and their history of "anti-refugee" legislation / grandstanding. This resonated with the conservative anti-immigrant racists. However, when you look at the numbers, that same government only locked up 4% of refugees coming to Australia by boat, with the 96% who come by plane being basically let out and completely unsupervised, purely based on a technicality of how they got here, while they also ramped up skilled immigration and temporary work visas far higher than before. By targeting a very small percentage of the refugee flow they were careful not to over-extend themselves, there was almost no legislation at all restricting the 96% of plane-traveling refugees at all. (in fact the nations most likely to overstay visas here are just about the least likely to be found in a detention centre).

So they flooded cheap labor in to crush the unions, while basically doing literally nothing about the bulk of refugees, yet the high-media-impact story of them locking up some families who came on leaky boats sold them to the public as "tough on immigration". The target wasn't refugees at all, it was a marketing campaign aimed at the Australian public. In fact, when Tony Abbott was about to lose party leadership he suddenly went "gee I love refugees, let's bring thousands of those poor Syrians over". Then within a week of that amazing back-flip he was ousted in a party vote. So mr "tough on refugees" who pushed concentration camps for women and children literally didn't give an actual shit at all, and would happily bring in thousands more refugees if it kept him in power another week.

So none of the anti-refugee shit is actually about refugees at all, it's about getting the citizens to vote for you. Refugees are just the collateral damage.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 05:18:40 am by Reelya »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126764 on: September 15, 2017, 05:24:25 am »

Like...if they all believe it's a hoax, with the advance of science it would be confirmed as something like that in a couple of years or so after it
Well, didn't you knew?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 8449 8450 [8451] 8452 8453 ... 11037