Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8448 8449 [8450] 8451 8452 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14521161 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #126735 on: September 14, 2017, 04:25:27 pm »

Bleh, had a migraine all day. Even taking a double dose of ibuprofen didn't have any effect.

Pretend to be persuadable and start feeling them out on various other conspiracies. Try sovereign citizenship.
"Do you want to hear something disturbing?"

Oh God, I've met some actual 9/11 conspiracy theorists online.

For some reason, I want to put that as a response to the previous few posts about Diablo.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #126736 on: September 14, 2017, 04:32:55 pm »

I got PS4 Diablo III for my birthday.  The game's alright, the second is the best one, but I expected 3 to basically be a "beer n pretzels" kinda game anyway.  But I feel like I utterly broke the game on my first playthrough.  I rolled Barbarian, went for hardcore mode because why not.  I figured difficulties worked like DII's did (basically a series of new game +'s) and went with normal difficulty.  I'm about midway through Act III I think.

Basically, since maybe halfway through Act I, nothing can harm my character.  I've unwittingly stacked health regen and health on-hit items such that I outheal whatever damage I might face.  I've dropped below 50% health maybe once or twice.  Outside of the ongoing plot the game's sort of become me watching a war god just sort of walk through dungeons and mows down creeps and I see how high the massacre counter can go.  The game tries to hype up bosses and such as enemies but I just end up grinding through their big health pools while taking effectively no damage.

Sure, its on easy mode, but in DII even on normal mode enemies were still a threat to you.

Diablo III treats difficulty differently than DII. You're basically playing with training wheels on right now. That said, they've yet to make any of the main game content particularly difficult, although post-game content makes up for this somewhat.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #126737 on: September 14, 2017, 04:41:41 pm »

Pretend to be persuadable and start feeling them out on various other conspiracies. Try sovereign citizenship.
Too late, I went for the stupid idea of arguing with them.

Apparently one popular thing to "prove" 9/11 isn't correct is WTC 7. Apparently the government decided they couldn't get a third plane, and went "Eh, fuck it, blow it up anyways"
Damnit, alright this is still salvageable. Ask them what they think of the UFO sightings in New York and DC that day.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126738 on: September 14, 2017, 05:00:13 pm »

Just got a reply.

"I'm not claiming to know any ones motivations. Just saying the way the building fell was indicative of a controlled demolition."

So, how to get this to the UFOs without triggering their suspicions?
'do you have any opinion on the supposed sighting of unidentified objects above Manhattan? I've read some accounts and don't know what to think'

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #126739 on: September 14, 2017, 05:01:10 pm »

"Alright, but if it was a controlled demolition, why risk the damage caused by the planes derailing the plan? They'd find the demo charges if the crash damaged the detonator or knocked the building over on its own."

If you're lucky, the next word you'll hear is "hologram". I can't tell quite how crazy your subject is yet, since that controlled demolition line is where all of them start.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126740 on: September 14, 2017, 05:15:17 pm »

I've never understood the whole "jet fuel can't melt steel beams" thing. For one, the jet fuel typically used can burn in open air at around 1,890°F, probably higher in an enclosed space. Steel melts around this point, and more importantly, softens well before that point. Even if it doesn't melt, the softening of a large portion of the middle of a skyscraper's structural material is something that can cause it to collapse.

Also as to why they didn't fall over and simply collapsed straight down, if the steel compromised by the plane impact and burning fuel fails and breaks, the weight shifts to less damaged portions of the structure. Which immediately breaks as well because it can't handle that much weight so fast(or perhaps at all). It doesn't simply fall over onto the side that broke first, as there's far more force pushing straight down(known as Earth's gravity+half a goddamned skyscraper) to do that.

Goddammit, I can't believe I got pulled into to this argument. Also kinda wanna play some Medieval Engineers or Red Faction: Guerrilla now. Is that wrong?

PRE-EDIT: I'm not familiar with the London flat fire. I know it happened recently, right? But I don't know the details of what happened.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #126741 on: September 14, 2017, 05:16:29 pm »

There is no reasoning with conspiracy theorists. I once accidentally convinced one that there was no such thing as Amerindians in an attempt to illustrate how flawed the logic they were using was.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #126742 on: September 14, 2017, 05:18:55 pm »

I once argued a moon landing denier into a corner and ended up with "the US government had secretly advanced camera technology with which to fake only the first moon landing but did not have secretly advanced rocket technology to accomplish it for real".
No Gods, No Masters.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #126743 on: September 14, 2017, 05:21:56 pm »

Nah, don't try to convince them from it. Make them go deeper into the heart of madness and conspiracy. For no reason other than that you can.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126744 on: September 14, 2017, 05:22:33 pm »

Implying it wasn't a soundstage on Mars /XKCD
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #126745 on: September 14, 2017, 05:25:22 pm »

A friend of a friend who works on NASA says they're setting up the Saturn stage now and we'll see something from them soon.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #126746 on: September 14, 2017, 05:58:29 pm »

Oh God, I've met some actual 9/11 conspiracy theorists online.

I met one in RL a few weeks ago.

He was actually quite a prominent member of a group that has been set up spouting that thing.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #126747 on: September 14, 2017, 06:10:45 pm »

I once argued a moon landing denier into a corner and ended up with "the US government had secretly advanced camera technology with which to fake only the first moon landing but did not have secretly advanced rocket technology to accomplish it for real".
I remember when I used to wind up one of my teachers by explaining to them the true Moon Landing conspiracy. I said to them that if you look closely, you can see the American flag on the astronauts, and that the President of the USA secretly held meetings with the NASA before they launched their moon landing - even going so far as to give the NASA AMERICAN MONEY. By the time I got to "THEY THOUGHT WE WOULDN'T NOTICE" my teacher gave up on life

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #126748 on: September 14, 2017, 06:27:46 pm »

Note to self: As should have been blisteringly obvious, but apparently wasn't, blowing air at powdered spicy seasoning you have in front of your face is an unwise decision.

Fortunately didn't get much in my eyes, but it was still enough to sting rather notably.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #126749 on: September 14, 2017, 06:30:15 pm »

Note to self: As should have been blisteringly obvious, but apparently wasn't, blowing air at powdered spicy seasoning you have in front of your face is an unwise decision.

Fortunately didn't get much in my eyes, but it was still enough to sting rather notably.

I feel like 'blisteringly' was a deliberate word choice on your part.
Pages: 1 ... 8448 8449 [8450] 8451 8452 ... 11037