Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6421 6422 [6423] 6424 6425 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14457495 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #96330 on: February 13, 2016, 01:32:22 pm »

I once failed an English test by answering the question "What purpose did Dickens have when he wrote A Tale Of Two Cities?" with "£1 (149.41 in today's money)" (Dickens wrote the book in twenty installments, and was paid 1 shilling per installment. I hated questions like that.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96331 on: February 13, 2016, 01:34:50 pm »

I once failed an English test by answering the question "What purpose did Dickens have when he wrote A Tale Of Two Cities?" with "£1 (149.41 in today's money)" (Dickens wrote the book in twenty installments, and was paid 1 shilling per installment. I hated questions like that.

I don't like the idea of "psychic questions" that ask you to basically infer what someone was thinking from basically nothing.

I mean by what measure is "Getting paid" NOT a correct answer? Ohh that is right because Charles Dickens is some sort of angelic writer who was clearly beyond money DAMN IT SCHOOL!!!

Ok maybe it was just my schools that were terrible with the author worship.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #96332 on: February 13, 2016, 01:41:24 pm »

The clue would be in the word "english", at the top of the test, one assumes. Apparently Shonus hit upon one of the very few unacceptable yet technically correct answers, by some weird fluke.
One wheel short of a wagon

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #96333 on: February 13, 2016, 01:44:19 pm »

Shit is getting crazy, yo. Did Tom Clancy cast a spell on the world that turned its plot into one of his novels, or what?
._.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #96334 on: February 13, 2016, 01:47:03 pm »

English classes are a bit pointless anyway, beyond teaching the mechanics of the language, though I don't think Inwas ever even taught that properly.

Usually questions asking "what do you think author x meant by using word/phrase/spelling y..." are actually "what were you told to say", though my answer was usually (unfortunately never written) "how the fuck should I know, I'm not the author". It's pseudo psychology.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96335 on: February 13, 2016, 01:49:27 pm »

Shit is getting crazy, yo. Did Tom Clancy cast a spell on the world that turned its plot into one of his novels, or what?

I knew he was a Lich!

English classes are a bit pointless anyway, beyond teaching the mechanics of the language, though I don't think Inwas ever even taught that properly.

Usually questions asking "what do you think author x meant by using word/phrase/spelling y..." are actually "what were you told to say", though my answer was usually (unfortunately never written) "how the fuck should I know, I'm not the author". It's pseudo psychology.

English classes are teaching people higher levels of literacy. They aren't useless...

They are just taught in some of the worst sort of ways on the basis of hero worship self-evidence.

Which results in fact that most people have terrible reading comprehension and can't pick up on subtext.

I'll put it this way... English Class in highschool felt like it was dead set on making me HATE literature.

Shakespeare is honestly something I think is taught the worst. It is so spoonfed because English doesn't know how to pace people. Instead of letting people have a basic understanding of the plot then slowly unfolding it... NOPE KNOW EVERYTHING NOW!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 01:51:06 pm by Neonivek »

O.Wilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96336 on: February 13, 2016, 01:52:20 pm »

Plus reading Shakespeare is basically useless anyway unless you actually enjoy that kind of reading. Just take them to a show, for the love of god.
What could pre-industrial societies do, run a bunch of cattle off a cliff? Boo fucking hoo I'll be crying for them while I just dump these litres of acidic chemicals into this river. Scrubs.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #96337 on: February 13, 2016, 01:52:30 pm »

English class is full of excess questions once you get past spelling and reading, I'd say. I don't know why they did x in that book, I wasn't paying that close attention to it (or I just wanted to read the book damnit. Not answer arbitrary questions about it! You're going to go on an unrelated tangent anyways that doesn't explain your answer at all.)

Or its a month of dragging people through shakesphere followed by a couple days of the movie of the play.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #96338 on: February 13, 2016, 01:53:33 pm »

That's what I said :P *cough*irony*cough*

It's all the textual analysis stuff they do, and usually having to teach toward a test. You can't teach a subjective thing to an objective measure. I loved reading as a kid, and I stopped reading pretty much my entire way through high school because of English classes.

PPE: a community college teacher did that for our English class o. Wilde. Didn't necessarily help, but it was better than reading through it all. (As you like it, it was)
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #96339 on: February 13, 2016, 01:58:54 pm »

Plus reading Shakespeare is basically useless anyway unless you actually enjoy that kind of reading. Just take them to a show, for the love of god.
Except no. Viewing lacks the opportunity to closely examine the text, and slants the whole thing towards the interpretations and stylings of the troupe. This is especially important because you don't get to read the original stage directions, so you don't know what was expressly intended (and what of that was changed by the troupe) versus what was left open to interpretation and improvisation. Not to mention that you generally can't go back and re-watch a specific performance at a later date. Live performances can be useful supplements in an academic setting, but little more.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #96340 on: February 13, 2016, 02:04:07 pm »

Also, there's a lot of meaning lost in translation from Ye Olde English to modern English. Most of said meaning is dirty, though, so it's understandable why teachers would avoid mentioning that.
._.

O.Wilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96341 on: February 13, 2016, 02:09:21 pm »

But talking about a typical high school setting, where you're barely going to have the time to read it, much less dissect the language and structure? If our goal is to dissect a work and study the language, then I agree with you. If we have the time, that's the ideal, and reading the text is the only way to do that. But for the depth a high school English class aims for, I think a basic understanding is more important. You are not going to be able to get 20 kids to interpret Shakespeare's text in a week. If you wanted to do sonnets or something, you could do that, but the plays are more popular.

Perhaps not a performance, but some setting where they can hear it spoken rather than see it on a page. Dedicate an hour to reading a scene or something.

Also, this:
This is especially important because you don't get to read the original stage directions, so you don't know what was expressly intended
Is not a valid point. Stage directions of shakespeare's works consist of [X enters (Sometimes left, right, or above)], [Exeunt X (Left, right, above, or severally)], and [Exits, pursued by a bear]. That's all we have of the directions.
What could pre-industrial societies do, run a bunch of cattle off a cliff? Boo fucking hoo I'll be crying for them while I just dump these litres of acidic chemicals into this river. Scrubs.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #96342 on: February 13, 2016, 02:19:23 pm »

I... I actually liked my lit classes. :(

Being taught about the mechanics of a story, how to think critically about the message of a work, and place a story in its context in the real world has given me a much deeper appreciation of all the fiction that I consume on a day-to-day basis. Sure I ended up reading garbage like A Farewell to Arms and Thousand Cranes, but I also read novels that have become my all-time favorites like To Kill A Mockingbird, Jane Eyre and The Grapes of Wrath. And I actually thought about and contemplated them, at first because I was forced to but later because I was actually passionate about the stories and characters.

So the benefit of lit classes isn't an immediately employable skill, but I still think it's worthwhile. Now I actually like a lot of books, movies, TV shows and games that I would have previously tossed aside as being 2deep4me, because I actually learned how to slow down and really interpret a story.

Also, the fact that literature courses are called "English" is stupid. Besides, I'd say that the majority of people learn how to write English just fine without being told the name of every single sentence structure.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #96343 on: February 13, 2016, 02:38:07 pm »

We have 1 and a half hours of Language Arts at school, and the entire fucking time is dedicated to the theme of something.

"What's the theme?" What I'm thinking: WHO THE FUCK KNOWS WE'VE GONE OVER THIS ALREADY. What I actually say: "The theme is "*insert real-life philisophical shitpost here*

And that's what gets me an A.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #96344 on: February 13, 2016, 02:41:54 pm »

Also, there's a lot of meaning lost in translation from Ye Olde English to modern English. Most of said meaning is dirty, though, so it's understandable why teachers would avoid mentioning that.
Oh, yeah, his work is bawdy as shit.

But talking about a typical high school setting, where you're barely going to have the time to read it, much less dissect the language and structure? If our goal is to dissect a work and study the language, then I agree with you. If we have the time, that's the ideal, and reading the text is the only way to do that. But for the depth a high school English class aims for, I think a basic understanding is more important. You are not going to be able to get 20 kids to interpret Shakespeare's text in a week. If you wanted to do sonnets or something, you could do that, but the plays are more popular.

Perhaps not a performance, but some setting where they can hear it spoken rather than see it on a page. Dedicate an hour to reading a scene or something.

Also, this:
This is especially important because you don't get to read the original stage directions, so you don't know what was expressly intended
Is not a valid point. Stage directions of shakespeare's works consist of [X enters (Sometimes left, right, or above)], [Exeunt X (Left, right, above, or severally)], and [Exits, pursued by a bear]. That's all we have of the directions.
Ah, we seem to be speaking at cross-points. I'm talking about studying literature and theatre, you're talking about herding a bunch of bored, horny teens through a year of prep work for a standardized test.

Also, you might want to look up what stage directions mean. There's a wealth of nuance, and you literally named the two simplest and least-nuanced stage directions. Aloof/Apart seem like they're the same, but they aren't. Exit/Exeunt are not the same thing. Aside has two different meanings. Trumpet/Tucket are similar, but have different precise uses. Enter/Break in/Brought out all indicate the same general action accomplished in different ways. Tucket/Sennet/Flourish share the same meaning. Adding Torches changes the scene noticably, but you wouldn't know if it was a troupe's own convention unless you read the original. Aside/Within both indicate a character speaking from the stage to an audience off of it, but the audiences are different. Solus clarifies the meaning of entry/exit in important scenes. There are important moments of latitude (see The Scottish Play, there is no stage direction dictating that Lady Macbeth faint, only that she be carried out) and restriction (the common use of asides to separate crucial knowledge into audience knowledge vs. character knowledge). &c.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 6421 6422 [6423] 6424 6425 ... 11040