Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6422 6423 [6424] 6425 6426 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14457731 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #96345 on: February 13, 2016, 02:47:50 pm »

I... I actually liked my lit classes. :(

Being taught about the mechanics of a story, how to think critically about the message of a work, and place a story in its context in the real world has given me a much deeper appreciation of all the fiction that I consume on a day-to-day basis. Sure I ended up reading garbage like A Farewell to Arms and Thousand Cranes, but I also read novels that have become my all-time favorites like To Kill A Mockingbird, Jane Eyre and The Grapes of Wrath. And I actually thought about and contemplated them, at first because I was forced to but later because I was actually passionate about the stories and characters.
We read none of those.
Books I remember reading in high school that were actually in english (as opposed to library books):
Macbeth, Romeo & Juliet (in book, movie, and west side story forms), The Giver (this might've actually been in middle school, idk), The Great Gatsby (least interesting of the entire list), Canterbury Tales (partially), and several other books I do not remember the titles of due to only being in the textbook, not their own books.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #96346 on: February 13, 2016, 02:48:23 pm »

I once failed an English test by answering the question "What purpose did Dickens have when he wrote A Tale Of Two Cities?" with "£1 (149.41 in today's money)" (Dickens wrote the book in twenty installments, and was paid 1 shilling per installment. I hated questions like that.

I don't like the idea of "psychic questions" that ask you to basically infer what someone was thinking from basically nothing.

I mean by what measure is "Getting paid" NOT a correct answer? Ohh that is right because Charles Dickens is some sort of angelic writer who was clearly beyond money DAMN IT SCHOOL!!!

Ok maybe it was just my schools that were terrible with the author worship.

The "correct" answer would have been to shit out something like "A Tale Of Two Cities is an allegory for Dickens's repressed homosexuality, with the violence of te French Revolution standing in for the repression of his male-male urges and England representing the dream holy land where he could express his love in the way that is correct for him." NO matter if there isn't so much as a single syllable that supports a pet theory, Death of The Author (as it was explicitly taught to me) means that anything anyone says on a work is 100% correct and what the work must be assumed to mean.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #96347 on: February 13, 2016, 03:02:28 pm »

Everything I've seen of high school suggests it does a better job of damping enthusiasm for learning than anything else.

>Is homeschooled.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #96348 on: February 13, 2016, 03:04:52 pm »

I was homeschooled and it was the most depressing year and a half of my life. I did one or two worksheets every couple of months to make it look like I'd been working, then sat alone in the house all day because I didn't have any friends or know anybody in the area.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #96349 on: February 13, 2016, 03:12:08 pm »

I spent a lot of time reading. Not necessarily how I would have preferred to spend this many years, but it's turning out okay, and I'm apparently not that behind school-wise, for some reason.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

O.Wilde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96350 on: February 13, 2016, 03:36:32 pm »

Yeah, homeschooling is weird. I just stopped doing school for a year and a half, and didn't end up behind at all. Took community college classes, and I'm going into my freshman year of college with about 45 transferable credits.
What could pre-industrial societies do, run a bunch of cattle off a cliff? Boo fucking hoo I'll be crying for them while I just dump these litres of acidic chemicals into this river. Scrubs.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96351 on: February 13, 2016, 04:26:23 pm »

I once failed an English test by answering the question "What purpose did Dickens have when he wrote A Tale Of Two Cities?" with "£1 (149.41 in today's money)" (Dickens wrote the book in twenty installments, and was paid 1 shilling per installment. I hated questions like that.
Oh wow, I totally want to use that answer now.  What did you convert it to?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #96352 on: February 13, 2016, 05:12:02 pm »

I really want to be home schooled , but my parents say it's too much work. It's not like they parents have to leave all day. They work in our house, so that's not the problem. I'm pretty sure the problem is that it wouldn't earn them money, because that's all they seem to think about. Kind of annoying, considering these are the same people who get angry at big companies and stuff for being greedy, then spend 4k on new computers and still say they don't have enough money :-/
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #96353 on: February 13, 2016, 05:29:44 pm »

I mean, what ended up happening with me was mostly "Unschooling", which amounts to leaving the kid alone with nigh-unlimited study material. I have spent many, many hours voluntarily reading scientific discourse, in and out of the internet. I think it might not work as well with more access to places like Bay12.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #96354 on: February 13, 2016, 05:34:30 pm »

Hoo boy, yeah. Productivity with vs. without internet access (for non-academic purposes) is a pretty drastic difference.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96355 on: February 13, 2016, 05:35:41 pm »

Indeed.  Speaking from experience.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96356 on: February 13, 2016, 05:36:38 pm »

Today's been a pretty good day, foodwise. At lunch, had some yogurt as I normally do, but it tasted extremely good, and I wish I had more.I do, but it's all for next week. Seriously, yogurt is one of the best things ever.

Was feeling extremely hungry by 2 o'clock break, so I got a Hershey bar and a bag of chips from the vending machine. The machine dropped two bags of chips for me, though I gave one to someone whom the machine shorted them on change. The Hershey bar turned out to have almonds in it, which I didn't expect.

On the way home, my mother decides to get take-out from Boston Market.

EDIT: WTF, I thought I put this in the Happy thread. I guess now it belongs here.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #96357 on: February 13, 2016, 05:48:05 pm »

I'm in the other boat: All I've eaten today is a sandwhich. Braces sucks.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96358 on: February 13, 2016, 05:50:51 pm »

I feel like that's the fault of whoever is making the food.
Sigtext

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #96359 on: February 13, 2016, 06:13:24 pm »

I make the food, but I don't buy the food. That's the main problem.

Pages: 1 ... 6422 6423 [6424] 6425 6426 ... 11040