Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6423 6424 [6425] 6426 6427 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14457277 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #96360 on: February 13, 2016, 06:20:12 pm »

I reckon only a small proportion of people don't have English lit classes wasted on them, because of the clarity of thought and confidence in analytical techniques needed to do it properly. If it were just an option, or had less emphasis, the people who will actually be interested in later life would have more time to speak, and wouldn't have to listen to moronic babbling.
One wheel short of a wagon

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #96361 on: February 13, 2016, 06:27:10 pm »

I think we could do it better, but it's incredibly annoying when the school board is thinking about making the periods 38 minutes instead of 42 (9 periods with an a-b flipflop during 6th currently), and giving the extra period to, guess what? Language arts. They also ignore the opinions of teaching experts that Algebra needs atleast an hour per day, if not more.
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #96362 on: February 13, 2016, 06:30:48 pm »

Oh god yes.

If you haven't heard yet, the US' school system is hilariously bad.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #96363 on: February 13, 2016, 06:37:16 pm »

meanwhile in belgium:

* our english teacher is an asshole who doesn't want to put in effort, so we have to read twenty year old pieces of garbage because they come with pre-made tests that require no effort on his part

* for dutch we get to read dutch translations of english young adult books such as the fault in our stars. the teacher means well but it still makes me sort of sad. (medieval literature is a part of the course but i dont really know if that counts)

* french is likely the only class we get to read actual literature for. sadly, this means actual french literature with ten-page tangents about the role of women in japanese society (im not even joking) so nobody actually understood anything about the book

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #96364 on: February 13, 2016, 06:44:38 pm »

Meanwhile in NZ the actual education is pretty decent, but the ways schools are funded is weird as hell. It's possible for a private school to get nearly all their money from the government, and equally possible for a public school to get next to nothing. Parents are meant to make "compulsory" donations, but no-one really seems to care about that, so you can not pay fees and attend school just fine.
School boards like doing fundraisers, but none of the kids or parents give a damn, and the profit made from those is always really bad. Half the time the kids just keep the things they're supposed to be selling because hey, free chocolate or whatever.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 06:46:15 pm by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96365 on: February 13, 2016, 06:52:01 pm »

Meanwhile in Canada[At least at the school I'M at], we have four 80-minute periods[Even though the only subject that requires legitimate effort is Math]. My school would be pretty good, except for the fact that its undergoing major renovations and we have three hallways[Out of nine] available. The elementary program got moved to another school, the junior highs get some kind of weird clusterfuck teaching thing in the GYM and us high schoolers take some classes in the teachers lounge because there just isn't enough room.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #96366 on: February 13, 2016, 07:14:26 pm »

The US funds schools based on objective test scored using subjective things. I'm not even going to start talking about anything else, because then we start pulling in politics, finances, pshycology....the amount of things that have been used in the arguement is ridiculous.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96367 on: February 13, 2016, 07:15:08 pm »

Man, I wish I had literature classes.
In the second year of high school English class got merged into "humanities", which was a complete load of bullshit. Most of it was basically history, but instead of interesting history that anyone might care about it was the history of those lame dweebs who lived in Australia before its colonization. ::)

There was one unit on ancient China which was kinda cool, but still, I would have rather spent more time reading books and less time writing synopses of historic periods. Also that bitch of a teacher failed my assignment, when I put so much work into it and was probably the best in class, all because I forgot to cite sources or some shit.
I mean, who gives a fuck about sources in a tenth-grade history assignment? Also, why am I getting mad about the distant past, anyway?!
* Yoink takes a few deep breaths and attempts to clam down.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #96368 on: February 13, 2016, 07:23:21 pm »

Yep. American colleges can ban you from ever coming back if you forget to site the ever-living hell out of your papers.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #96369 on: February 13, 2016, 07:25:21 pm »

Yep. American colleges can ban you from ever coming back if you forget to site the ever-living hell out of your papers.
[citation needed]
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96370 on: February 13, 2016, 07:34:31 pm »

Mum, Your. (2015)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96371 on: February 13, 2016, 07:35:32 pm »

Oh god yes.

If you haven't heard yet, the US' school system is hilariously bad.
Related: Texas' out-sized influence on textbooks and propensity for batshit insane BoE members. This Year’s Extremist Candidate for the Texas State Board of Education
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #96372 on: February 13, 2016, 07:46:32 pm »

Oh god.

...Let's please not.

Just say no to fucking idiots, kids. They'll do you more harm than any drug.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #96373 on: February 13, 2016, 07:48:32 pm »

Don't stick your dick in stupid?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #96374 on: February 13, 2016, 07:49:17 pm »

While I never liked Scalia, the man who said states could write moral legislation against gays the same way they could against murder, I don't celebrate his passing on.

What's interesting is the conservative hatred against Obama, and not wanting him to name a replacement. Much as they don't like it, he is still the president and has every right and responsibility to name a replacement. It would be very odd for the court to go a whole year without a justice and we are dealing with some major issues in this country that need decided.

The effort to block an appointment is the height of political interference. O well. [sigh].
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 6423 6424 [6425] 6426 6427 ... 11040