Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6068 6069 [6070] 6071 6072 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14458259 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #91035 on: November 30, 2015, 02:21:28 pm »

I tried looking up when you need to reduce a patient's body temperature in response to a fever and what I found is that in theory when the fever is above 105 degrees (at that point the body is basically killing itself)

Which means a LOT of those fever remedies you see are... really not helping.
Yep. My Immunology prof outright said that in a lot of cases, reducing body temp is actually harmful. Fevers aren't only out-heat-resistance-ing pathogens, elevated temperature actively helps a whole bunch of defensive processes until around that mark, when they start fucking 'em up again.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91036 on: November 30, 2015, 02:23:24 pm »

My school is, at some point in the near future, having, as part of our "Charity appeal" (stuff wot we do fer charity), a "Sponsored Fast".

As in: they don't cook school lunches one day, nobody eats dinner or lunch, fast ends after 23 hours, sponsorship and money saved goes to charity.

We do have a bunch of Muslims(?) and Jews and whatever, but the vast proportion of the school doesn't know how to fast really. The school's sending out a safety leaflet, though, so everything's fine. They can get 900 boys from 10-18 to not eat for 24 hours perfectly safely and, apparently, "painlessly".

Poster's advertising this are going up around school, with titles such as "eating is overrated", "welcome to the  [school's name] hunger games", "save time don't eat", etc.

Bloody hell.
Sponsored usually involves being paid in some way, ya? How does that work with your charity stuff.
The money goes to charity; probably just an english spelling.

My school has a loada dumb words they use. Not as many as some, though; posher you get, the more stupid words nobody else uses appear.

We were, up until a while ago, the only school in the country to have a "design and visual arts" rather thatn "art" department in the country, apparently.
One wheel short of a wagon

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91037 on: November 30, 2015, 02:25:04 pm »

Design implies engineering, did they include, say, drafting classes?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91038 on: November 30, 2015, 02:34:21 pm »

I remember taking an architectural drafting class in 9th grade as my elective.  An interest class, even if I wasn't all that talented in it.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91039 on: November 30, 2015, 02:39:10 pm »

Design implies engineering, did they include, say, drafting classes?
They teach, in England, the broad variety of techniques which come under the heading of "art".

No more specific than that.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #91040 on: November 30, 2015, 02:48:12 pm »

Wait, a school is making you not eat for a day so that they can pay somebody charity money? What the fuck, why can't you bring your own food in or something, starving out students like that is retarded and possibly illegal.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91041 on: November 30, 2015, 02:59:08 pm »

Yeah, you can, it's entirely optional.

Still pretty dumb. Probably going to get a sponsor sheet due to the mild pressure the teachers will have been told to place on us, sign up anyone who wouldn't be creeped out or feel forced to give me money (so thats... my parents, my parents and my parents) then have dinner at home.

It's not the best idea. Also, the posters are kinda weird, and it sort of tiptoes around the whole eating disorder thing. All boys school etc, but  we're less likely to admit/be diagnosed with/ realise we have anorexia...

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91042 on: November 30, 2015, 03:24:06 pm »

It's among the most idiotic things I ever heard. They shouldn't stop the food services for ANY reason. Instead they could actively involve the students in something else like actually helping on shelters or something instead of lazily throwing some meager amount of money at some random charity direction.

It would create a more character forging and educational experience and it would not involve stopping the freaking food services of the damn school, which in this time and age seems like a rather complacent way to give in to certain religious thoughts (no, not only Muslim fast, Christians do it to, in my country it's pretty popular among protestant/evangelic Christians to do so) which have NO place in education, real state sponsored education at least.

In any case I sense a law suit coming if so much a child complains about feeling faint or something.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 03:26:17 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91043 on: November 30, 2015, 03:29:46 pm »

I would eat bacon when nobody was looking.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #91044 on: November 30, 2015, 03:36:54 pm »

I would eat bacon when everybody was looking. Their starved eyes watching would make it taste sweeter.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91045 on: November 30, 2015, 03:40:21 pm »

That is incredibly stupid and probably outright illegal if they force people.  Free and reduced lunch program students, if there are any, are disproportionately impacted.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 03:58:04 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #91046 on: November 30, 2015, 03:48:06 pm »

If they're not giving the students bread, they'd better give them circuses.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #91047 on: November 30, 2015, 03:53:33 pm »

I say, let them eat cake.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91048 on: November 30, 2015, 03:54:20 pm »

Its not ~exactly~ outright illegal (at least I can't say so without knowing where the school is located), but it seems like a needlessly controversial and weird way to involve the school and its students in charity. The usual way of involving students in donation drives and doing stuff to raise money for charity is way better.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91049 on: November 30, 2015, 03:59:13 pm »

That is incredibly stupid and probably outright illegal.  Free and reduced lunch program students, if there are any, are disproportionately impacted.
Don't worry about that, it's *optional*, though they;re going to try to get everyone to do it really. And re the free lunch thing, we're all rich wankers anyway, it's a private school - the, say, 40% of scholarshp and bursary boys don't get free school lunches anyway ::)

Its not ~exactly~ outright illegal (at least I can't say so without knowing where the school is located), but it seems like a needlessly controversial and weird way to involve the school and its students in charity. The usual way of involving students in donation drives and doing stuff to raise money for charity is way better.
This. Bloody cake sales, sponsored walks, rows, swims, runs, silences, school fairs and mufti days, whatever, many rich and stupid parents will throw money at their offspring for anything, really. But a sponsored fast is just... why?
Pages: 1 ... 6068 6069 [6070] 6071 6072 ... 11040