Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6067 6068 [6069] 6070 6071 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14456268 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #91020 on: November 30, 2015, 06:58:52 am »

Become endearvor'd about sausages, then.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91021 on: November 30, 2015, 08:34:27 am »

Background: here in Finland, most locations have two names, one for each of the official languages. The official name of a location is determined by which language has a majority of speakers there.

Some weeks ago, I was setting up a weather app for my new phone. I couldn't find my hometown on it, which is okay since it's quite a small one, so I picked the next city over, which I found by its Finnish name. Said city has a Swedish majority, so this was slightly odd. I just handwaved it, figuring it's probably just using the Finnish names for all locations.

Now, today, I retried looking for my hometown, and found it by its Swedish name. This town has a very slight Finnish majority.

How does it make any sense that I can find a Swedish city by its Finnish name, and a Finnish town by its Swedish name, but not vice versa?
Census worker sucks on their work?

i should try men
If you are uncertain then try women too (if you haven't).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 08:37:17 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #91022 on: November 30, 2015, 09:39:44 am »

Martin Wallström in Mr Robot looks super familiar to me.  But I've seemingly never seen him before, according to IMDB.
I'm shit with faces though.
He reminds me very much of LaCroix from Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, though maybe that's based more on actions than words.
Nope! Definitely not just behavior.
Spoiler: Comparison (click to show/hide)
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91023 on: November 30, 2015, 10:53:14 am »

Well, its not like an evil, uptight executive is an original character archetype, but they do share some uncanny resemblance to each other.

In today's WTF, I was helping my girlfriend pack some things when we found a pair of rings. They are, apparently, commitment rings which belong to her roomate who used to live with her, and she kept the rings when it didn't work out. We're confused as just to why and how they were among my gf's makeup things, but she thinks her friend may have hid them among my gf's things when her current boyfriend came to visit her. Now we're kinda twiddling our thumbs and thinking on what to do with them since we have failed to contract said friend for now.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 10:55:56 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91024 on: November 30, 2015, 11:02:32 am »

Martin Wallström in Mr Robot looks super familiar to me.  But I've seemingly never seen him before, according to IMDB.
I'm shit with faces though.
He reminds me very much of LaCroix from Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, though maybe that's based more on actions than words.
Nope! Definitely not just behavior.
Spoiler: Comparison (click to show/hide)

If there was ever a World of Darkness-based TV show(and really, if there isn't one, there should be), it needs that guy.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #91025 on: November 30, 2015, 11:18:20 am »

Spoiler: man what (click to show/hide)
._.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91026 on: November 30, 2015, 11:29:51 am »

Obligatory "I love the smell of psionics in the morning".
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91027 on: November 30, 2015, 11:37:41 am »

Well, its not like an evil, uptight executive is an original character archetype, but they do share some uncanny resemblance to each other.

In today's WTF, I was helping my girlfriend pack some things when we found a pair of rings. They are, apparently, commitment rings which belong to her roomate who used to live with her, and she kept the rings when it didn't work out. We're confused as just to why and how they were among my gf's makeup things, but she thinks her friend may have hid them among my gf's things when her current boyfriend came to visit her. Now we're kinda twiddling our thumbs and thinking on what to do with them since we have failed to contract said friend for now.
Well, I would keep them for a while just in case she appears or you are able to contact her. If enough time passes, I don't know, a few months or something, of actively reaching out for her (try facebook) then sell it, or gif it, or better yet, sell it and git the part of the money to me :)
I'm earning less than 30 cents of dollar per day :(
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91028 on: November 30, 2015, 12:28:21 pm »

"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91029 on: November 30, 2015, 01:33:01 pm »

My school is, at some point in the near future, having, as part of our "Charity appeal" (stuff wot we do fer charity), a "Sponsored Fast".

As in: they don't cook school lunches one day, nobody eats dinner or lunch, fast ends after 23 hours, sponsorship and money saved goes to charity.

We do have a bunch of Muslims(?) and Jews and whatever, but the vast proportion of the school doesn't know how to fast really. The school's sending out a safety leaflet, though, so everything's fine. They can get 900 boys from 10-18 to not eat for 24 hours perfectly safely and, apparently, "painlessly".

Poster's advertising this are going up around school, with titles such as "eating is overrated", "welcome to the  [school's name] hunger games", "save time don't eat", etc.

Bloody hell.
One wheel short of a wagon

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91030 on: November 30, 2015, 02:03:23 pm »

...And then some diabetic is going to try that, something bad happens, and the school faces a lawsuit.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91031 on: November 30, 2015, 02:07:08 pm »

I tried looking up when you need to reduce a patient's body temperature in response to a fever and what I found is that in theory when the fever is above 105 degrees (at that point the body is basically killing itself)

Which means a LOT of those fever remedies you see are... really not helping.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91032 on: November 30, 2015, 02:10:20 pm »

My school is, at some point in the near future, having, as part of our "Charity appeal" (stuff wot we do fer charity), a "Sponsored Fast".

As in: they don't cook school lunches one day, nobody eats dinner or lunch, fast ends after 23 hours, sponsorship and money saved goes to charity.

We do have a bunch of Muslims(?) and Jews and whatever, but the vast proportion of the school doesn't know how to fast really. The school's sending out a safety leaflet, though, so everything's fine. They can get 900 boys from 10-18 to not eat for 24 hours perfectly safely and, apparently, "painlessly".

Poster's advertising this are going up around school, with titles such as "eating is overrated", "welcome to the  [school's name] hunger games", "save time don't eat", etc.

Bloody hell.

Now you just made me hungry.  Thanks a lot.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #91033 on: November 30, 2015, 02:16:17 pm »

Bloody hell.
Sponsored usually involves being paid in some way, ya? How does that work with your charity stuff.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #91034 on: November 30, 2015, 02:19:43 pm »

I tried looking up when you need to reduce a patient's body temperature in response to a fever and what I found is that in theory when the fever is above 105 degrees (at that point the body is basically killing itself)

Which means a LOT of those fever remedies you see are... really not helping.
Yeah, only take medicine for fever if it gets dangerously high or you absolutely must get some work done. Fever in fact speeds up recovery; it's part of the body's own immune defense system, not a disease symptom per se.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.
Pages: 1 ... 6067 6068 [6069] 6070 6071 ... 11040