Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5107 5108 [5109] 5110 5111 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14502816 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #76620 on: May 17, 2015, 05:17:24 pm »

I consider it pretty good mostly because the movie sets out on a very dark and very messed up path and does not for a single moment shy away from it. Takes quite a bit of balls to do something like that.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76621 on: May 17, 2015, 05:31:00 pm »

Nevermind that no ethics board IN THIS UNIVERSE would sanction these experiments, and the data collected would be so tied up in pending federal legislation that the company they did it for would never see a dime.

(also, what self-respecting gene engineer transplants whole chunks of genomes at a time, without first knowing an epic SHIT TON about how those pathways will interact? Seriously? WTF! Hollywood just does not understand science.)

Considering some of the stuff that's been done by scientists before I'd say that there's nothing that wouldn't be permitted by the correct ethics committee.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76622 on: May 17, 2015, 05:37:02 pm »

Well, I dunno about the rest, but I'm pretty sure the human DNA splicing was not something the ethics committee approved :P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #76623 on: May 17, 2015, 06:33:10 pm »

I don't like many things about alignment system, but currently one of them stands out the most:

The lawful alignment. It doesn't mean what you'd think it means. Why is it tied in with not telling other people lies and keeping your word? Why are those two not a part of a Good alignment?

Because honesty and loyalty are not Good, many knights would sooner give up their lands or life than give up their honour or break their word but would still murder, rape and torture to fulfill their promises.

I'm not even going to get into how many loyal and truthful people have committed unspeakable acts in the past few hundred years.

And on the flip side you have people like Oskar Schindler, a paragon of goodness who was also a notorious fraud (he deliberately sold defective merchandise to the German army during WW2 to sabotage them)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #76624 on: May 17, 2015, 10:43:16 pm »

Loaded up Xcom2 (Terror from the Deep), and I'me being swarmed with terror subs - I've had 4 (shot down one, won 2 terror missions, just got another one) in February (the second month of the game. I'm played on this difficulty before, and I've never seen this many subs period, let alone 4 terror missions in one month. I'm beginning to fear that Xcomutil broke something.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #76625 on: May 17, 2015, 10:44:53 pm »

I'm beginning to fear that Xcomutil broke something.
The lock on the gates of awesome?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76626 on: May 17, 2015, 10:45:01 pm »

Loaded up Xcom2 (Terror from the Deep), and I'me being swarmed with terror subs - I've had 4 (shot down one, won 2 terror missions, just got another one) in February (the second month of the game. I'm played on this difficulty before, and I've never seen this many subs period, let alone 4 terror missions in one month. I'm beginning to fear that Xcomutil broke something.

I dunno, sounds a lot like good ol' TFTD to me.  Maybe you picked Superhuman difficulty by mistake?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #76627 on: May 17, 2015, 10:51:14 pm »

I dunno, sounds a lot like good ol' TFTD to me.  Maybe you picked Superhuman difficulty by mistake?

Veteran. Maybe only losing a dozen guys or so in the 6 USOs and 3 terror missions has something to do with it. My score at the end of January was in the 1100s.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76628 on: May 18, 2015, 02:02:25 am »

I started trying to mentally assemble the structure of a sitcom starring Black Mesa's VOX, the Combine Overwatch voice, and GLaDOS. At first I was wondering why I would want that to be a thing, and then why anyone wouldn't want it to be a thing.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #76629 on: May 18, 2015, 03:03:02 am »

About bullying. Neonivek, I think you are mistaking cause and effect when you say that's "bullies having low self esteem is a myth". Of course somebody who is a bully would have good self-esteem, as shifting on others is a surefire way for anyone to build esteem. The thing is that they didn't have self-esteem when they started, and wouldn't have it without bullying to make yo for it.

And generally, yeah, most bullies are also bring bullied themselves in other social circumstances, or had been victims of bullying in the past.
Love, scriver~

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #76630 on: May 18, 2015, 03:31:45 am »

Pathfinder is a LOT better at it mind you then typical dungeons and dragons is.

If only because "Lawful Good" and "Chaotic Evil" are not actual "forces"

There is certainly a Lawful Good Outsider and a Chaotic Good Outsider but the way they are set up it is more that they have a different method of doing good.

Heck my favorite is the Neutral Good Outsiders (whose name escapes me) because their concept is that they actually don't do much... because they view both good and evil as a necessary part of reality... Which would probably shatter typical dungeons and dragons cosmos in half.

As well Demons, Daemons, and Devils are not "PURE EVIL!" they are different expressions of different types of evil. Daemons being Neutral Evil beings who seek the destruction of the entire universe.

Or rather as long as you don't include the addition of the Anti-paladin (who are stupid)... Pathfinder doesn't play the whole "Alignments are a true thing" game. No one brandishes a sword "In the name of Lawful Good" in pathfinder.

Or rather Pathfinder is trying to have less "outright stupidity" when it comes to its alignments...

I honestly liked to picture how a Fallen Angel would act... and the image that always came to mind is they are still evil... But they still have the "Do good" urge. So they have a close circle of friends, family, loved ones who they shower with gifts... and that a fallen angel would still like all the things it did as an Angel like flowers and song birds.

Meaning you would break into hell... bust down the door to the fallen angel's domain... and find yourself in an idyllic meadow with buildings made of white polished marble.

Or, on the law/chaos axis how Grazzt still in many ways maintains the appearance and mannerisms of the baatezu despite having gone native in the abyss
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #76631 on: May 18, 2015, 03:33:09 am »

Damn. I always thought pilots made a decent living off their skill.
Apparently I was wrong.

The Belgian University of Gent, as well as a commission institued by the European commision did research into the working conditions of pilots flying for budget airlines like Ryanair, and Norwegian Airlines.

Pilots who start their career there, don't get paid to fly. Instead, they start their career with a debt to the company, for being allowed to fly, and have to repay that by flying the first two years of service for free. A lot of other pilots are on a free-lance contract that does not allow them to have any critiscism on company policies, or refuse any flight job.

What's worrisome about this situation, is that a lot of pilots in such a position are afraid to call in sick, for fear of getting fired, and even worse, when they complain about unsafe situations, like the 3 airplanes that were found in a single day, by the EU research team, that barely had enough kerosine to make it to their destination (rerouting or long waiting loops could have been fatal), they will lose their job too, so they keep their mouth shut.

Our Dutch minister of infrastructure has called upon Brussels (the EU) to take measures against these unsafe labour constructs. It's not very likely anything will be done though, since when it comes to working conditions, the EU generally is very fast to cry "don't touch the freedom of travel and the freedom of commodity exchange".
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #76632 on: May 18, 2015, 04:48:38 am »

I hate to say I told you so... But I love to say I told you so.
Love, scriver~

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76633 on: May 18, 2015, 06:31:22 am »

Damn. I always thought pilots made a decent living off their skill.
Apparently I was wrong.

The Belgian University of Gent, as well as a commission institued by the European commision did research into the working conditions of pilots flying for budget airlines like Ryanair, and Norwegian Airlines.

Pilots who start their career there, don't get paid to fly. Instead, they start their career with a debt to the company, for being allowed to fly, and have to repay that by flying the first two years of service for free. A lot of other pilots are on a free-lance contract that does not allow them to have any critiscism on company policies, or refuse any flight job.

What's worrisome about this situation, is that a lot of pilots in such a position are afraid to call in sick, for fear of getting fired, and even worse, when they complain about unsafe situations, like the 3 airplanes that were found in a single day, by the EU research team, that barely had enough kerosine to make it to their destination (rerouting or long waiting loops could have been fatal), they will lose their job too, so they keep their mouth shut.

Our Dutch minister of infrastructure has called upon Brussels (the EU) to take measures against these unsafe labour constructs. It's not very likely anything will be done though, since when it comes to working conditions, the EU generally is very fast to cry "don't touch the freedom of travel and the freedom of commodity exchange".
Well that explains that murder-suicide that happened recently... if that criminal negligence will keep going on, it probably won't be the last one.

Seriously, how many airplanes have to go down before people realize that applying corporate bullshit to airflights is dangerous?
._.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76634 on: May 18, 2015, 08:43:38 am »

Well that explains that murder-suicide that happened recently... if that criminal negligence will keep going on, it probably won't be the last one.

Seriously, how many airplanes have to go down before people realize that applying corporate bullshit to airflights is dangerous?
You need few more of similar bodycount within a short period of time... and all the pilots need to have a connection with the same corporate entity pulling the bullshit.

Otherwise, capitalism ho!  Can't stop the profits for petty things like human decency and respect.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 5107 5108 [5109] 5110 5111 ... 11037