Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5102 5103 [5104] 5105 5106 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14503029 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #76545 on: May 17, 2015, 08:39:30 am »

Aside from energy metaphysics, Evil isn't just Selfish. That's Neutral (when it's not MUH UNIVERSAL BALANCE or MUH TREEHUGZ). Ethically, Evil is Selfish + Fuck-Anyway-Who-Stands-In-My-Way-To-Achieve-It-ish.

So, aside from the cosmicism, the moral axes top-left to bottom-right are 'Help Others If Possible-And The Rules and Oaths Allow', 'Randian Ubermensch-Bends The Rules Sometimes' and 'Fuck Anything That Stands In The Way Of My Goals-Fuck Rules And Promises'.

So, full on CE is primarily ruthless, not LELEVIL, LE is a Jerkass Genie-style villain who will fuck you over within the confines of that contract you just signed with your blood or a 'I would kill you, but I promised not to', and NE is a corrupt-style villain, a'la 80's villain CEO.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76546 on: May 17, 2015, 08:42:45 am »

It is often best to consider the alignments of Good vs Evil and Lawful vs Chaotic... On their own.

So Chaotic Evil is just... Chaotic + Evil. You don't believe in rules or law except possibly might makes right... and your evil.

Dungeons and Dragons did a HORRIBLE stupidity when they wrote up the alignments because for the most part all the alignments followed the general rules... Except Evil... where Lawful Evil was written as "Not THAT evil" in spite the pattern being more that Lawful Evil has a code of ethics but not nessisarily moral boundaries...

Megabyte is Lawful Evil and he would eat a baby...

Hexadecimal can be considered Chaotic Evil and she wouldn't eat a baby
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 08:45:01 am by Neonivek »

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #76547 on: May 17, 2015, 08:46:18 am »

So I watched the new 'Mad Max' movie...

Best way to put it for me is while the visuals are great and stuff... I left half-way though the movie because I was just bored from it all and the world tried so hard to do the worst to me about it (Rain started when I when out, train was a hour late,ect)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76548 on: May 17, 2015, 08:51:42 am »

Megabyte is Lawful Evil and he would eat a baby...

Duuuuuuude! Is that a reference to what I think it is?!
* Yoink goes into a nostalgia fit.

I was gonna post something to do with the whole silly alignment debate, but that just blew it from my mind. :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #76549 on: May 17, 2015, 08:55:35 am »

man, another D&D alignment debate? :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76550 on: May 17, 2015, 08:57:52 am »

man, another D&D alignment debate? :P

For a debate someone needs to disagree xD

So far we are all on the same page xD

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76551 on: May 17, 2015, 09:00:57 am »

I don't like many things about alignment system, but currently one of them stands out the most:

The lawful alignment. It doesn't mean what you'd think it means. Why is it tied in with not telling other people lies and keeping your word? Why are those two not a part of a Good alignment?
._.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #76552 on: May 17, 2015, 09:13:35 am »

I don't like many things about alignment system, but currently one of them stands out the most:

The lawful alignment. It doesn't mean what you'd think it means. Why is it tied in with not telling other people lies and keeping your word? Why are those two not a part of a Good alignment?

I think it doesn't mean what you think it means :P
Love, scriver~

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76553 on: May 17, 2015, 09:18:04 am »

Because honesty and loyalty are not Good, many knights would sooner give up their lands or life than give up their honour or break their word but would still murder, rape and torture to fulfill their promises.

I'm not even going to get into how many loyal and truthful people have committed unspeakable acts in the past few hundred years.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76554 on: May 17, 2015, 09:20:06 am »

Part of being lawful is respecting laws and contracts.

While they can lie all they want, giving their word could be seen as a verbal contract. Not that they can't break their word for the right reasons.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76555 on: May 17, 2015, 09:20:25 am »

Because keeping your word is not an inherently good act.
Perhaps your team of heroes is forced to work with a rather sinister group to take out a third. You can only do this by promising to let the allied evil group to leave once you're done.
You successfully defeat the big bad.

If you let the allied evil group go, they will do more evil in the future. So you could argue that breaking your word to capture or kill them now would be the most "good" option, but in breaking your word it swings more towards a chaotic alignment.

In contrast, keeping your word is the most honourable and lawful thing to do. Is it "good", however, to let bad guys escape because they worked with you for a moment?

Lawful isn't always nice.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76556 on: May 17, 2015, 09:46:31 am »

Because keeping your word is not an inherently good act.
If you go that way, then you must also say that "Good" alignment is not actually inherently good:

"Good" implies altruism, respect for life, and a concern for the dignity of sentient beings. Good characters make personal sacrifices to help others.

See how "respect for life" can cause you to let the evil group go (because you respect their lives hurr durr)?

Part of being lawful is respecting laws and contracts.

While they can lie all they want, giving their word could be seen as a verbal contract. Not that they can't break their word for the right reasons.
No. This is not actually a part of lawful alignment, this is:

"Law" implies honor, trustworthiness, obedience to authority, and reliability. On the downside, lawfulness can include close-mindedness, reactionary adherence to tradition, judgmentalness, and a lack of adaptability. Those who consciously promote lawfulness say that only lawful behavior creates a society in which people can depend on each other and make the right decisions in full confidence that others will act as they should.

See, this is why I've said that Lawful alignment doesn't mean what you'd think it means.
._.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76557 on: May 17, 2015, 09:54:39 am »

There's nothing altruistic about being honest and keeping your word.  It's virtuous, and tends to earn peoples' respect, but it can be cruel just as often as it's kind.

A neutral good person typically wouldn't mind lying to spare someone's feelings, or withholding painful information.  Though normal people do have compunctions about lying... 

A chaotic good person might not have those compunctions, and would help as much as they could get away with.  Probably enjoying the deception for its own sake, unless/until harm unintentionally results.

Meanwhile a lawful good person would gently inform the person of the bad news, and comfort them with earnestness.  There are benefits to having a code of honesty and honor, in that people believe the things you are able to say.

These are just examples of course.  Not every chaotic character loves dishonesty and lawful characters can certainly lie.  Because characters are more than just manifestations of their alignments.  Outsiders on the other hand...  Well the source material is inconsistent, but in our group an angel who falls literally becomes a devil.  They're the same race, after all.

In my opinion good-neutral-evil is selfless-selfish-sadistic.  Chaotic characters value freedom and change for their own sake, and lawful characters seek to uphold tradition and stable power structures for their own sake.  Most commoners are neutral, meaning they work primarily for themselves and cooperate with society in a normal way.  Taking a strong alignment stance would make it harder to get by in normal society, and probably result in the person becoming an outlaw, soldier, priest, or hermit eventually.

True neutral is very different from commoner-neutral.  True neutral is a bit alien from a human perspective, because it's the morality of nature.  Excesses of any of the four alignments are against nature, which is why druids in general go on about "the balance" and in some cases cases work to subvert places that are "too good" or "too evil".  Too far away from natural, neutral behavior.  It's pretty weird, particularly considering that druids are allowed one alignment themselves.  I think a lot of people just make them luddites who resist civilization.  When actually, civilizations are neutral by default...  Druids are resisting the planar forces which pull humanity in the four directions.  Get lost, angels!  Not interested, devils!  Stop messing with us, fae!  The material plane is for neutral nature, which is also fundamentally human nature.  Compassion but not asceticism, community but not slavery.

Whereas regular neutral is more "Man, I don't even have an opinion.  I just want to get paid, and eventually settle down with 2.5 kids.  Which I guess means saving the world first, SIGH."
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76558 on: May 17, 2015, 10:03:44 am »

What I was getting at is that the biggest fail of an alignment system is that it gets interpreted by everyone in a different way, thus making it unusable as a system because it keeps producing all sorts of stupid arguments due to the bad choice of words.

Better to just deal away with the loaded words like "Good", "Evil", "Lawful" and "Chaotic" and just make them "White", "Black", "Blue", and "Red". And True Neutral as "Green".
._.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #76559 on: May 17, 2015, 10:08:15 am »

blue op
Pages: 1 ... 5102 5103 [5104] 5105 5106 ... 11037