Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1860 1861 [1862] 1863 1864 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14471053 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #27915 on: February 27, 2013, 05:55:23 pm »

The Olympic, however, had a more interesting history. She was converted into a troopship during WWI, and in 1918 sank a U-boat by ramming it.
She fired at the U-boat, the boat did what all submersibles would do in this situation - dived, and the Olympic ran over it. Ripped up the submarine.
At the end of WWI there was a dent discovered on the Olympic caused by being hit by a torpedo that didn't explode.
The Olympic was cool ship that doesn't afraid of anything.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #27916 on: February 27, 2013, 06:28:12 pm »

I think the deal with the Titanic are the lives lost due to poor planning

After the fact.

Unless everyone knew they were going to die due to poor planning in advance.

About the closest you can get to an assurance that something bad will happen and kill a lot of people is to state that it is impossible for the bad thing to happen, and then put a bunch of people in the target for potential bad things before putting it into a dangerous location.

Also, not enough lifeboats. And if I recall correctly, most of the compartments that were breached didn't actually have bulkheads fail. What happened was that the riveting was sub-par, and the force of the impact snapped a lot of them. But yes, the lifeboats alone is forewarning that if something bad happens a lot of people will die. The North Atlantic is not a friendly place in the best of times. It's sort of like building a city intended to house millions of people entirely from wood and tar, building a single fire station and no hydrants, and then declaring that it couldn't possibly catch fire, and that if it did the highly trained firefighters would quickly extinguish it.  :P

In the Titanic's day, lifeboats weren't intended to keep passengers alive long enough for rescue. The poor communications technology of the era meant that such a rescue was considered extremely unlikely to happen before cold and exposure took out the survivors. Lifeboats were more for ferrying passengers to a rescue ship or bit of land. For this purpose, the Titanic had plenty. Not the best assumption to make, but it's less of an idiot ball moment than pop history has rendered it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27917 on: February 27, 2013, 07:08:23 pm »

I think the deal with the Titanic are the lives lost due to poor planning

After the fact.

Unless everyone knew they were going to die due to poor planning in advance.

About the closest you can get to an assurance that something bad will happen and kill a lot of people is to state that it is impossible for the bad thing to happen, and then put a bunch of people in the target for potential bad things before putting it into a dangerous location.

Also, not enough lifeboats. And if I recall correctly, most of the compartments that were breached didn't actually have bulkheads fail. What happened was that the riveting was sub-par, and the force of the impact snapped a lot of them. But yes, the lifeboats alone is forewarning that if something bad happens a lot of people will die. The North Atlantic is not a friendly place in the best of times. It's sort of like building a city intended to house millions of people entirely from wood and tar, building a single fire station and no hydrants, and then declaring that it couldn't possibly catch fire, and that if it did the highly trained firefighters would quickly extinguish it.  :P

In the Titanic's day, lifeboats weren't intended to keep passengers alive long enough for rescue. The poor communications technology of the era meant that such a rescue was considered extremely unlikely to happen before cold and exposure took out the survivors. Lifeboats were more for ferrying passengers to a rescue ship or bit of land. For this purpose, the Titanic had plenty. Not the best assumption to make, but it's less of an idiot ball moment than pop history has rendered it.

True enough, but the fact still remains that even if there had been another vessel nearby (and in this context that could easily mean not even within visual range if it had been daytime), a lot of people would still likely have died. She sank in roughly 2 hours and 40 minutes. The 20 lifeboats aboard could (IIRC), under ideal conditions, carry roughly half of the ~3,100 passengers and crew on boat. A rapidly sinking ship on the North Atlantic in the middle of the night is not what anyone would term ideal conditions. Even without panic and random accidents it would have been remarkable if the death toll stayed in the double digits, unless the rescuing ship was literally alongside the Titanic at the moment it struck the iceberg.

For the record, the Carpathia was only 93 km away when she received the distress call, and at top speed arrived four hours later. A large part of the problem was that the Titanic sank incredibly fast for such a large vessel and what should have been a relatively trivial amount of damage. Incidentally, it took two hours for the USS Maine to sink.

Let's put that in context: 5.1 tons of powder charges detonate aboard the USS Maine, completely destroying its forward third. It takes two hours to sink. The Titanic hits an iceberg. It takes two hours and forty minutes to sink.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27919 on: February 27, 2013, 07:26:46 pm »

The dream I had last night.

I'm beginning to suspect my cat was a cult leader in a past life.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27920 on: February 27, 2013, 07:28:46 pm »

So this is an ignorant reporter
Unprofessional. I love how much of a Bro Mo is, answered like a true humble Mentlegen.

And this is what I see when I look further
Painful. Utterly painful. Why does money have to ruin everything ;-;

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27921 on: February 27, 2013, 07:30:29 pm »

Are you implying your cat isn't a cult leader right now?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #27922 on: February 27, 2013, 07:30:42 pm »

Don't worry, that's all cats. There have been only so many cult leaders, and many, many cats.

Are you implying your cat isn't a cult leader right now?
DON'T SPEEK BADLY OF MASTER FOOKUMS.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #27923 on: February 27, 2013, 07:40:33 pm »

I keep seeing stuff like this more and more often:

[You see a Truean, she is confused and her head is slightly ajar with eyes squinting slightly].

I then hear some of these same people sometimes use the word "gay" as a pejorative insult.

Is this acceptance of teh gay actually becoming a thing or is it just the new style going along with what must be an understandable mistake about whatever the hell a Justin Beiber is? Either way, I shall remain under my illusion of safety while peering out from a slightly cracked closet door.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've crackheads to prepare for in the morning.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #27924 on: February 27, 2013, 07:54:47 pm »

I think it's Gay as an insult has become a more meaningless phrase. When people use gay as an insult now they usually don't mean they actually think it's a homosexual, or displays homosexual traits (although with JB anything is game...), rather, the word has been coopted to mean anything the user dislikes.

Which is still kind of a shitty meaning, tbh. But it's slowly going to a different meaning, like "fag" has changed meanings in Chanspeak.

Basically people are becoming more accepting of homosexuality, people are becoming more accepting in general. Unfortunately they're also becoming kind of apathetic, which is letting the assholes who do still feel strongly about the wrong topics to take over governments and the like.

(Also GLBTally? What is that supposed to say? Global ally? Globally? Globe tally? GLBT rally? My Cat Licked A Light Socket, I Need A Vet Right Now... Ally?)
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27926 on: February 27, 2013, 08:15:28 pm »

So apparently detonating fission bombs in our atmosphere *might* not have been the smartest of ideas.

Lies. Fission Bombs cure cancer, silly LW. Oh wait, not the fifties, I actually know science. regardless, the fact that even the tests did so much damage impies the war will be far more destructive, and a suitably violent end to humanity.

Unless we get space. Then all bets are off.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27927 on: February 27, 2013, 08:18:05 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Huh, I wonder why they changed up the G and the L in what is usually put together as LGBT. More importantly I wonder why they did this and didn't decide to put the L between the B and the T so we could finally have GBLT sandwiches (gay bacon lettuce and tomato) or BLTG sandwiches (bacon lettuce tomato and gay).

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27928 on: February 27, 2013, 08:18:44 pm »

After beating ALTTP, I realized that Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are also unbeaten childhood games.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27929 on: February 27, 2013, 08:20:08 pm »

After beating ALTTP, I realized that Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are also unbeaten childhood games.
I just realized this myself.
Pages: 1 ... 1860 1861 [1862] 1863 1864 ... 11037