Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1859 1860 [1861] 1862 1863 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14470811 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #27900 on: February 27, 2013, 10:46:44 am »

I smiled but this is mostly
Smuck Bait

The Safe for work kind.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27901 on: February 27, 2013, 11:02:52 am »

They already built another Titanic, it had a long, successful, and safe life (they renamed it, for publicity reasons, of course, but it was still the same ship)... Wouldn't this be III?

I'm sorry, but don't regular workplaces have contingency plans in place, in case of inclement weather, like having the previous shift cover til morning? I know of several (hospitals, nursing homes, etc) that do that.
Generally, they do not. I've been written up for not going to work on a day in which going to work would have been illegal due to road closure.
Generally, "regular" places do, yes. Particularly terrible places do not. So I guess it's preparing it's students for particularly terrible jobs... (not exactly the most attractive selling point)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27902 on: February 27, 2013, 11:08:11 am »

Ok I have to ask...

How much of a deal was Titanic before it sank? The movies build it up as this famos ship but I am starting to get the impression that it may not exactly be true.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27903 on: February 27, 2013, 11:13:59 am »

Titanic II

Yup, they're building another one.
Quote from: Designers
“absolutely the most safe cruise ship in the world when it is launched.”
So, not only do they tempt fate by naming it 'titanic II', they proceed to laugh at it and spit it in the face.
Cmon, its obviously a scientific experiment.

You dont really get opportunities like this very often. Do you know how hard it is to tempt fate so much that it is reproducible?

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #27904 on: February 27, 2013, 11:30:48 am »

Ok I have to ask...

How much of a deal was Titanic before it sank? The movies build it up as this famos ship but I am starting to get the impression that it may not exactly be true.
It was at that time, the largest and most modern/luxurious cruiseship. Innovating in every way possible. At least, that was which it was portrayed as.

However, it was not unique (had a near identical sistership), and a larger succesor was already in the work. So just your general topnotch luxury cruiser. Not an average boat, but not famous either.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27905 on: February 27, 2013, 12:59:55 pm »

"Why do they call it Chilli if it is warm?"

I don't know dumb person in a dumb commercial... have you ever perhaps tried to SPELL IT!

Also thanks for answering me ebbor.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27906 on: February 27, 2013, 02:37:19 pm »

Ok I have to ask...

It was at that time, the largest and most modern/luxurious cruiseship. Innovating in every way possible. At least, that was which it was portrayed as.

However, it was not unique (had a near identical sistership), and a larger succesor was already in the work. So just your general topnotch luxury cruiser. Not an average boat, but not famous either.

As I recall, there were actually three of the class. They were notable, but not tremendously so. The Titanic is famous because it was the one that had all the failsafes fail after the boasting that was done about the class being unsinkable. Though Britannic sank 4 years later, but it sank in the Aegean sea and only 30 people died.

The Olympic, however, had a more interesting history. She was converted into a troopship during WWI, and in 1918 sank a U-boat by ramming it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #27907 on: February 27, 2013, 02:39:11 pm »

Weren't both sister ships lost in combat? I seem to remember reading that one was torpedoed and the other hit a mine.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27908 on: February 27, 2013, 03:09:24 pm »

IIRC, the Olympic was never sunk and eventually was retired from service.

3. Run Resize Enable

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #27909 on: February 27, 2013, 03:10:30 pm »

I think the deal with the Titanic are the lives lost due to poor planning
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27910 on: February 27, 2013, 03:18:00 pm »

Well, and the fact that a number of rich people died (and a shitload of poor people, but that was just another day's business in 1912)

I'm wondering if the Titanic II will come complete with steerage bunks for penniless immigrants to ride in?

EDIT: Not just a number of rich people, but ULTRA-rich. John Jacob Astor was widely considered the wealthiest man in the world at that time. Benjamin Guggenheim, Isidor Strauss...it'd as if Bill Gates and 20-30 other of the world's top 100 wealthiest individuals all died at the same time.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 03:25:07 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #27911 on: February 27, 2013, 04:14:04 pm »

Today, Went into subway car, noticed was empty. Immediately struck by terrible stench of feces, emenating from sitting homeless-guy/clothi-pile. Went into other car. Entire trip, saw people fleeing the first car, either running out, or walking to a different through the door. This one guy was going "something is wrooong in there!". The funniest part was leaving, I saw this gaggle of girls clutching each other near the entrance going "EWWWWW". And this one guy, who stepped in, looked at the dude, stepped backward, and walked to the next car. People would take one step in, and immediately turn around. Only other people in there were these three women, 2 were talking with each other, and one was on a phone. Never even looked up.

According to a MTA official who was riding mentioned they usually have to fumigate it when those guys leave.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27912 on: February 27, 2013, 04:25:50 pm »

After the fact.

Unless everyone knew they were going to die due to poor planning in advance.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #27913 on: February 27, 2013, 04:35:58 pm »

After the fact.

Oh no, everyone knew they were going to die in advance, it's just they only had, about, couple hours or so headstart before it went side up, break in half, sink.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27914 on: February 27, 2013, 05:43:20 pm »

After the fact.

About the closest you can get to an assurance that something bad will happen and kill a lot of people is to state that it is impossible for the bad thing to happen, and then put a bunch of people in the target for potential bad things before putting it into a dangerous location.

Also, not enough lifeboats. And if I recall correctly, most of the compartments that were breached didn't actually have bulkheads fail. What happened was that the riveting was sub-par, and the force of the impact snapped a lot of them. But yes, the lifeboats alone is forewarning that if something bad happens a lot of people will die. The North Atlantic is not a friendly place in the best of times. It's sort of like building a city intended to house millions of people entirely from wood and tar, building a single fire station and no hydrants, and then declaring that it couldn't possibly catch fire, and that if it did the highly trained firefighters would quickly extinguish it.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1859 1860 [1861] 1862 1863 ... 11037