Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7364 7365 [7366] 7367 7368 ... 11004

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13663271 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #110475 on: October 05, 2016, 10:21:12 am »

I bought a digital kitchen timer at the grocery store today, but when I rang it up at the register, it came up as a "Thermometer" in the cash register display, I was so alarmed I dug it out of the bag that the bagging lady put it in just to check, and it was in fact a digital  timer as advertised, I didn't go crazy and grab a thermometer by accident, I was quite relieved. I was trying to bring the odd fact to the Cashier's attention, but he kept thinking that I didn't want it, when I was trying to point out the discrepancy, but I couldn't figure out how to word it to get him to understand I wasn't talking about the price I was talking about the name of the item, and the bagging lady was about to  go to the aisle that I got it to double-check the price, when the price was the same, I was just trying to bring attention to the NAME. A line of people was forming behind me, so I just quickly paid and got out of there... but I don't know why that bothered me so much.

And I forgot to buy batteries for the thing anyway.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110476 on: October 05, 2016, 10:29:12 am »

@JoshuaFH:That is very :o
I have the same thing where if it's labeled wrong I'm just not very happy.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110477 on: October 05, 2016, 10:37:21 am »

I couldn't care less about what they ring it up as, so long as the price is correct and applicable deals are... well, applied.

Probably because I freak out so much about other discrepancies, I need to find something to not stress about...
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110478 on: October 05, 2016, 10:40:59 am »

Thing that made me WTF (but in a good way):Sirus's sig.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110479 on: October 05, 2016, 11:45:38 am »

Hm, in that vein!
Had to fill out a quick survey related to merger, and the options were:
1) A
2) B
3) I know both, but I don't really care
4) I don't know enough to have a preference

It's an odd distinction but one I appreciate.  I happened to have a strong informed opinion, but those options were nice.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110480 on: October 05, 2016, 12:11:43 pm »

Aye, it is.
Sigtext

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110481 on: October 05, 2016, 01:05:39 pm »

Imagine how lucky one has to be in the world of DF to grow a cherry tree for years in such conditions that it would bear fruit, all without being killed by kobolds, goblins, boogeymen, carp, demons, and everything?

Only for some fuck to steal it? The worst crime imaginable.
And then kill a guy. But man, that cherry thievery. The worst.

How the hell does someone even manage to steal that much maple syrup? Also, we're still in the Cold War era. so that's not an option either.

I'm half-tempted to just write "Cold War" and leave it be. Might need to be more specific though, which could include the Avro Arrow and its link to NASA, refusal to aid in Vietnam, our participation in the Korean War, or the Cuban Missile Crisis.

I've already got the BNA, WW1 and WW2, The Treaty of Versailles/League of Nations, the Statute of Westminster, free healthcare, NATO, Quebec's quest for independence and Centennial/Expo '67, and the Constitution Act.
Why not just go to Wikipedia, write down some events on the History of Canada page in the relevant years, and work from those?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 01:08:06 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110482 on: October 05, 2016, 01:14:25 pm »

Forgotten beasts and titans roam the earth as gods, death is inevitable!  But a single cherry can mean the world to a new settlement.

As for the writing assignment edit, if I may suggest?
In the year of our Lord 1982, Polystructures fell from space. Massive yet light, they touched the atmosphere, and stuck.
Scientists made new materials. Builders made new cities. Families made their homes thousands of feet above ground level.
Art made the floating super-sculptures, and culture made the floating caviar socials to regard them.

In the year of our Lord 2011, you cannot look up from beneath a city and see the stars.
But you can look down from above it.
And you can jump.

The jumps you make are not about art. They are about a reckless disregard for safety.
The jumps you make are not about culture. They are about a reckless disregard for regulation.
The jumps you make are not about science.
They are about a reckless disregard for gravity.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #110483 on: October 05, 2016, 01:26:07 pm »

Random thought: what is the antonym of anthropomorphism? In other words, what do you call it when something (generally considered to be) human is given (ditto) inhuman attributes, e.g. when love is described as mere hormonal activity?

E: Wikipedia, when it comes to religion in particular, gives 'Aniconism' as an antithetic concept. That is, the refusal of some religions to depict deities in imagery, as they are considered too far above humans to be depicted as such. I'm looking for a more general word, though.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 01:38:26 pm by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #110484 on: October 05, 2016, 01:31:10 pm »

Objectification might kinda fit the bill, though not for specifically non-human things, just for objects.
One wheel short of a wagon

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110485 on: October 05, 2016, 01:40:16 pm »

As for the writing assignment edit, if I may suggest?
In the year of our Lord 1982, Polystructures fell from space. Massive yet light, they touched the atmosphere, and stuck.
Scientists made new materials. Builders made new cities. Families made their homes thousands of feet above ground level.
Art made the floating super-sculptures, and culture made the floating caviar socials to regard them.

In the year of our Lord 2011, you cannot look up from beneath a city and see the stars.
But you can look down from above it.
And you can jump.

The jumps you make are not about art. They are about a reckless disregard for safety.
The jumps you make are not about culture. They are about a reckless disregard for regulation.
The jumps you make are not about science.
They are about a reckless disregard for gravity.
Want.
Sigtext

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110486 on: October 05, 2016, 02:34:29 pm »

Pillsbury is apparently making Poutine Pizza Pops now.

This is as horrifying as the twisted chip flavours I see in stores.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #110487 on: October 05, 2016, 02:39:47 pm »

My local supermarket is offering 5 for 4$ progresso soups.

Apparaently bacon and cheddar calm chowder is considered 'traditional'
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110488 on: October 05, 2016, 02:43:41 pm »

My local supermarket is offering 5 for 4$ progresso soups.

Apparaently bacon and cheddar calm chowder is considered 'traditional'

Anything is traditional if you've done it at least twice.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #110489 on: October 05, 2016, 02:45:30 pm »

Eh, it's definitely traditional in some places. Or was, anyway. Used to be pretty easy to find family restaurants and whatnot that had the stuff as a primary dish, at least down here in the south east US and near-ish the coast. And bacon's definitely one of the more common additives, from what I can recall. Never really ate any myself, because you're not getting me to eat shelled sea bukkake, but it was definitely common and historied.

Also those pop things actually sound interesting. Tiny poutine calzones, basically.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 02:47:41 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 7364 7365 [7366] 7367 7368 ... 11004