Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11002 11003 [11004]

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13679448 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #165045 on: July 03, 2024, 05:41:49 pm »

They've always had *someone* to oppose. The British Empire gave way to the Soviet Union, then that gave way to the War On Terror.

The US wasn't massively opposed to the British Empire after 1814 (honestly after 1787 - there was pretty strong sentiment that the US should jump into the Napoleonic Wars on the British side). There was some tension during the Civil War, and plenty of warplans drawn up over the years Just In Case, but the British were never a major bogeyman for the US.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #165046 on: July 03, 2024, 06:24:16 pm »

A day for tech problems. On my day off.

Played some Elden Ring, all is well.

Go to watch some Youtube and for some reason the videos won't play, just get the spinny wheel of doom.

Then Firefox locks up when I try to close out or refresh the video, ruh roh.

Rebooting doesn't fix it.

I decide to reset Firefox (which wiped out more than I actually planned on.) All my extensions along with AdBlock are removed.

Reinstall AdBlock, go to play a Youtube video, it plays!.....but no sound.

Check all the normal Windows audio things.

Fire up Elden Ring to test if it's just Firefox having an issue. Nope. No sound in game either.

I go to play some MP3s on my computer....Windows media player throws an unspecified error on each one. Big yikes.

So now I start testing my speakers, headset...everything claims it's running normally except windows throws an error when it tries to play any sound tone from any device or source. I disable the audio driver in Device Manger and re-enable it....nothin.

Shit's getting real now. I'm about to go track down my motherboard audio drivers and uninstall and reinstall them when, on a whim, I try the Windows Audio troubleshooter. It manages to identify what I think was a Windows audio service and reset it. And voila, my sound is now back. Why multiple reboots didn't solve that problem, I don't know.

But now I discover that, after resetting Firefox and having to download AdBlock Plus again....it's now paid? It doesn't show up in the browser and doesn't actually provide AdBlocking. So I switch to Ublock Origin finally. And then I'm trying to order something off a website and the page keeps running into an error after a few seconds because apparently I changed some privacy setting in Firefox that I didn't use before.

Guh....and people wonder why I no longer go rushing to help them with tech problems. It just becomes a tangled goddamn mess sometimes.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #165047 on: July 03, 2024, 08:27:01 pm »

This is one of the many reasons I am nice to the IT person. I know I would not have been able to figure that out. For what it's worth, I'm sorry you had to deal with that. It sounds stressful. I'm glad you managed through it though.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #165048 on: July 04, 2024, 02:33:37 am »

I once had firefox crash somewhat like that but a box appeared with two options one was to reset it and the other said restart in safe mode, do not push the reset button as it doesn't turn firefox back on it resets it to all default settings and deletes all extensions. The one one you want is the safe mode as it doesn't do anything that is a pain in the ass to fix.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #165049 on: July 04, 2024, 05:10:52 pm »

I know Adblock has a "Premium version" now, but I wasn't aware that they'd gone fully paid... Heh, figures.

I actually just swapped over to Ublock today myself, as YouTube has been giving me grief about blocking again lately. Load up a video to try out the new Ublock, and this is what the plugin bar says

Adblock blocked items: 2

Ublock blocked items: 91

...yeah. This has been a long time coming.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #165050 on: July 04, 2024, 05:26:09 pm »

Yeah for real. I had 40 ads blocked by Ublock in just two minutes of watching a video.

I don't know if AdBlock went fully paid or what. All I know is I installed the extension and was greeted with a payment page which I closed, and the ABP controls never showed in my browser, nor were ads blocked during video playback. Although weirdly some paid ad videos in my feed did go away.

That's why I hate updating sometimes. I was getting constant notifications from AdBlock that it was updating and figured it was going to war with Youtube on the daily. But now I'm thinking maybe I was on an old version of the extension that still worked but was no longer available, and as soon as I reset Firefox I lost it.

Either way, it was high time. Ublock seems pretty good and the numbers do confirm it. Just wonder how long it will take Ublock to suck the way Adblock finally started to.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #165051 on: July 04, 2024, 05:56:56 pm »

As soon as they get purchased or receive a big enough bribe, they will immediately stop blocking ads from whoever paid them off.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #165052 on: July 04, 2024, 07:19:36 pm »

I had a popup about adblock the other day; I didnt read it but did notice it looked different than the usual 'we updated'.

hunh.  Well so far noscript has worked well enough for youtube or when going to whatever other naughtbad sites Ive gone to
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #165053 on: July 04, 2024, 08:40:09 pm »

welp, it's that time of year again

loud noises, terrified dogs, and ambulance sirens

few times a year i'm reminded individually purchasable fireworks were probably a mistake

at least no fire trucks yet!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #165054 on: July 04, 2024, 10:52:12 pm »

The explosions have not yet begun here. Hopefully there aren't many, again
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #165055 on: July 05, 2024, 01:54:14 am »

Nothing says freedom like blowing shit up!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 11002 11003 [11004]