Poll

What day should regular sessions be on?

Saturdays!
- 17 (77.3%)
Sundays!
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 244

Author Topic: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: dead and gone (RIP)  (Read 300371 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 - Western Marches (next game Saturday) (always recruiting)
« Reply #2550 on: August 28, 2011, 03:26:55 am »

Session is on Monday evening. (actual response to people talking in the forums will come tomorrow morning)
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2551 on: August 28, 2011, 06:14:51 am »

So my back-up character is going to be a weapon 'created' by priests of Palor to restore order to the world. While this is practically Van's story I have RPing plans for this. He is going to treat the innocent with respect and compassion, but for the chaotic and guilty this is going to be one violent paladin.
Stop right there. That violates your statement earlier in the thread about how you need to be stopped if you do this or something.
That character is likely to kill the party directly. It is the Van/Dr Moon violation.

As for Rumus, you need to stop worrying about character development traveling so fast in game. The Procan cult will have some development. Keep in mind that the Oasis could be seen as further development in the quest for the Ocean. You are trying to skip the journey and consider the destination the only thing there is. Let it come naturally and don't push it. Enjoy fleshing out Rumus's character through repetition for a bit first.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2552 on: August 28, 2011, 08:40:51 am »

I appreciate the concern, and that you remembered what I said about that.

Rush/Dr. Moon violation: Will kill everyone indirectly/directly. Nope. In Hellsing you see an insane Anderson while he is fighting monsters, but for every other scene he is calm, collected, and friendly. This was the main personality duality I was aiming for. My character is to treat everyone with respect until they prove themselves otherwise.  Palor is a respected deity and his priests should reflect that, but he is also suppose to have violent extremists. This character would be both depending on the situation.

Van violation: Will stop a party member from acting in some way. Maybe. I think that in cities I can be elsewhere doing RP goals since this character would have some. Confessions (should be funny to read NPC reactions), side missions for the temple of Palor, or sanctifying the ship maybe? Regardless there are many things to do as a holy character that haven't been done yet. Besides that, once this character hits level 6 and becomes a Grey Guard (CS) he will be unbounded from the strict paladin law. From then on he can do something kind of evil so long as he did it for a greater good (beating up someone kind of evil for info to save someone else). This code would allow the association with known criminals to fight greater crimes (the purple guy). If Shoruke allows it he could even start with the Grey Guard code. I admit that without this prestige class it would be a Van violation.

My main problem isn't that I seek character development. Rather that I seek a reason not to just have Rumus run away. Rumus joined to escape fire elementals, but other than that he has no reason to be in the group. He respects Procan, but has no reason to seek him out (might kill him to actually find Procan too). He can collect animals, but that is so meta it hurts. I suppose I could seek out rainforests since it would fit the backstory, but even then when we find it he would leave. This is the problem; he simply doesn't have a reason to stay. I lack that destination that drives characters. He isn't even in it for the money.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2553 on: August 28, 2011, 12:28:58 pm »

How about a Romantic Infatuation with Mystellar? That might provide a reason to stay, and explain the conversion as well. And make Ram uncomfortable I'll bet.

TRIPLE WIN!

(Edit: OR!!! With Maelrigar. That might be very interesting...)
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2554 on: August 28, 2011, 05:44:00 pm »

That is absolutely hilarious of a concept. I'm not one to make people uncomfortable though. I'm fairly sure that I can think of something before tomorrow evening. If not I'll have the back-up ready. Having lots of animal companions is still a fun and powerful idea. I really hope that I do manage to write something to fix this problem. Either way I'll be level 4 I suppose, but I'll facedesk if I do switch because this is just getting silly and kind of annoying.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2555 on: August 28, 2011, 06:02:22 pm »

aany word on those questions yet Shoruke?
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2556 on: August 28, 2011, 07:22:55 pm »

Fool, I present to ye a solution to your character woes.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2557 on: August 28, 2011, 07:37:12 pm »

A character generator? That seems counterproductive. I think I'm winning though, because it guessed this after one roll: "The grim Paladin."  :D

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2558 on: August 28, 2011, 07:44:05 pm »

The young, elegant, generous Fighter with an odd birthmark.
The poised, unfriendly Sorceror who suffers from a chronic medical condition.
The sarcastic Cleric who inherited a family curse.
The healthy, stressed, moralistic Druid with a false identity.
The Druid haunted by flashbacks. (No, not THAT kind of flashback (Well, maybe (It is a Druid, y'know)))
The dexterous, rude Bard.

Pulled from a fifty-character list. All of them could be roleplayed well so as to not suffer from Dr. Moon Syndrome or Van Syndrome. The last made me think of Sir Robin's Minstrels, particularly the singer.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2559 on: August 28, 2011, 08:07:20 pm »

Bravely bold sir Van, rode fourth from Rivershire! He was not afraid to not kill, oh brave sir Van!

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2560 on: August 28, 2011, 08:20:38 pm »

I think everyone is misinterpreting what is wrong with Rumus and my back-up right now. Rumus has the problem of not having a reason to stay with the group. This is an issue since it would be in his nature to run off somewhere on a whim, with or without a ship. As for my back-up there is no problem, and the Dr. Moon Problem and the Van Problem simply don't apply since I accounted for them. Grey Guard solves both problems at once. They cannot commit evil acts without reason, but they are free to associate with evil if it is for a cause.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2561 on: August 28, 2011, 08:37:48 pm »

If he had a crush on Maelrigar he wouldn't run off! :)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2562 on: August 28, 2011, 08:57:18 pm »

Starting character level is now 4. If you join a session and your character is below level 4, add experience until you are level 4 and add 1/10th that exp in gp. New characters that join will start with the standard 5,400 gp.

Finally, the official word on Dinosaurs: they don't live on Ancardia, so you can't summon them or have them as animal companions. Assuming you guys don't throw the flow of the game into an acid lake, though, you'll probably end up in the place that does have them. Basically, dinosaurs are an unlockable for this campaign.
More GM allowed or no questions:
1. Endless rations 350g... from the item book, seems a bit... too reasonable?
2. Liquid Salt, Shapesand, and Slumber Sand. All from the Sandstorm book
3. The Spell Compendium has some nice sand based druid spells, I'd be most interested in Sandblast, Snake's Swiftness, and Saltray, along with all the druid spells listed in Sandstorm(especially, Sand Scimitar, Summon Desert Ally(dustform creatures), and Dessicate). Most should be ok, other than maybe Snake's Swiftness, that seems a bit overpowered to me.
4. Wondering also about Zen archery, that just seems broken all over the place with high wisdom being used for ranged attacks. but I'd love it if I could have it.
1. You'll need to specify WHICH book, but it doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
2. Those three things are fine (although it would have helped to mention that they're alchemical items, took me a while to find them...) Note that for Shapesand, the amount of sand you get out of the jar is the same as the amount the you are able to control, based on your wisdom score.
3. Sandblast is fine
Snake's Swiftness has already been approved
Saltray is fine
From the laconic spell descriptions, the druid spells in Sandstorm look okay. The Scimitar of Sand does not count as a light weapon, because normal scimitars are not light weapons.
4. Zen Archery is fine.
(did I miss any questions?)

Also, session in in 21 hours and 4 minutes... Assuming that I manage to start the session on time, which has odds measured in Tacgnols. (Translation: those are LOOOONG odds) Also,

God
DAMMIT
Fool
*sigh*
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2563 on: August 28, 2011, 09:02:49 pm »

Right, ok then. *adds goal to this character to find living dinos*

Now I just need to finish up and get my backstory written before game time.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2564 on: August 28, 2011, 09:11:51 pm »

God
DAMMIT
Fool
*sigh*
Speaking of which, does someone have those character sheets available? I think I'll do my best to give every one of them a cameo in my campaign... which may then require a touch of rewriting.
Pages: 1 ... 169 170 [171] 172 173 ... 244