Poll

What day should regular sessions be on?

Saturdays!
- 17 (77.3%)
Sundays!
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 244

Author Topic: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: dead and gone (RIP)  (Read 300369 times)

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 - Western Marches (next game Saturday) (always recruiting)
« Reply #2535 on: August 26, 2011, 11:37:28 pm »

@RAM: If their strength can hold themselves up maybe... Rule of Fun may epicly win again.

@Haika: It technically is level 3 as a starting level, but with the level spread as wide as it is, and the fact that Shoruke mentioned maybe bringing up the starting level, I'd say level 4. I'd make it level 3 and just have it ready to jump to level 4 just to be safe.

EDIT: If it does jump to level 4 the starting gold would be 3,600g if you want to make plans.

On an unrelated note does the Skin of Ectoplasmic Armor (CPsi, p.110) actually count as armor? It doesn't specify what kind of armor it is, and it only weighs one pound. Would a monk still have his AC bonus with it equipped?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 11:50:11 pm by The Fool »

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2536 on: August 27, 2011, 08:30:18 am »

Quote from: last session
Shoruke:    Also, I'm going to update the minimum starting level from 3 to 4 after this session
---
Purpleguy:    ((starting level is being raised to 4 for next session, yes. I'll have details in the thread in advance.))
So I'd expect level 4, even though the details aren't advanced yet.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2537 on: August 27, 2011, 09:49:14 am »

Starting gold for level four is 5400 according to my DMG.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2538 on: August 27, 2011, 11:54:02 am »

Welp, kinda wondering. Especially if we are having a session tomorrow.

Also, need some suggestions guys. Looking at the spell lists, and trying to figure out how to make my druid more sand based. Drift magic as a feat allows me to get +1 caster level on things that mention earth or sand in their spells. However, I don't know what that does, and it seems kinda useless. Trying to decide if there are sand-based spells anywhere, or if I need to try and homebrew or just fluff each druid spell myself.

Edit: I think I figured out the sand based stuff. Now I'm wondering if I should try and take a level in the divine touched thing so I can use from my spell lists without preparing. Or would that not work for a druid?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 12:14:06 pm by Haika »
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2539 on: August 27, 2011, 12:27:02 pm »

It's funny how I didn't really know my schedule until Friday. I should have checked earlier. Anyways, I would be up for a Sunday/Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday session.

Here is my back-up character in case Rumus is crushed by a planar-hopping tentacle monster. I'm assuming that he won't be used for a while so he is level 5. Going for Grey Guard for flavor. Nothing says awesome like walking into church and telling them that you beat someone to death for information. I thought it would go well with the Father Anderson idea. I took a one level dip into monk, but that will change when I can find more flavorful weapons (2 feats and 4,000g is harsh for basic greatsword damage).

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2540 on: August 27, 2011, 12:50:59 pm »

This should in no means be an exhaustive list. This is just things I found checking some books and doing a tiny bit of digging.

Druid Spells:
Level 2
Soften Earth and Stone (PHB, Page 280)
Earthen Grace (Spell Compendium, Page 76)
Desiccate (Sandstorm, Page 114)
Halo of Sand (Sandstorm, Page 117)
Scimitar of Sand (Sandstorm, page 120)

Level 3
Meld into Stone (PHB, Page 252)
Stone Shape (PHB, Page 284)
Tremor (Spell Compendium, Page 223)
Haboob (Sandstorm, Page 117)
Soul of the Waste (Sandstorm, Page 121)
Storm Mote (Sandstorm, Page 121)

There are other spells you can probably argue for. Sandblast from sandstorm pops off the top of my head right away. Either way you should get it since it fits well. As for spells go get, get useful things. What that means to you might mean something else to someone else. For example, why the heck would anyone pick Obscuring Mist over Shield of Faith? This is not a choice I would have made, but I am sure RAM would rather have that utilitarian spell over the buff. His choice of spells might even save my butt someday. I picked Trade Image and Reduce person over other spells because I can see scenarios where they will come in handy (and because there are very few offensive spells I am familiar with available to me.)

Personal preference makes a great deal of effect in the spells you pick.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2541 on: August 27, 2011, 01:18:23 pm »

Yeah, after looking through Sandstorm, there are several nice sand related spells, that will work nicely I think. Especially the Summon Desert Ally. Dustform creatures are interesting, and give some nice flavor I think.

Right now, I'm looking at Feats. Would Natural Bond(pg 111, complete adventurer) increase the level I have avaliable to choose an animal companion? Would be great if I could get into that Rank 7(level-6) listing. It talks a bunch about 'effective druid level', but then it says it can never make your druid level higher than your character level. So I'm confused.

I'm struggling a bit with the animal companion choice, because most of what I want are on higher level lists. I don't see the animal companion as something that my guy just ditches when he levels up to get a new one. It's a plot point, and I'd rather pick one from the start and stick with it unless something tragic happens and the companion dies or something.

Also, I'm wondering if a Scimitar, from say, the Sand Scimitar spell, would be considered a light weapon for the use of the Weapon Finesse feat, allowing me to use my dex mod for attacks instead of str mod.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 01:46:24 pm by Haika »

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2542 on: August 27, 2011, 01:46:23 pm »

My character is using Natural Bond. How it works is this:
Your equivalent character level (ECL) is equal to all your classes added up. So if you are a level 4 druid without a LA from a race then your ECL is 4. Natural Bond only has any effect if your effective druid level is lower than your ECL. This is either because you are a ranger, or have multiclassed to another class that doesn't advance your effective druid level. If that is the case then Natural Bond will boost your effective druid level up by three to the max of your ECL. I hope that reads right.

In short, if your just a druid then it does nothing. If you are anything else as well then you should get a boost up to your ECL.

While digging around for a weapon for a vicious paladin to use I found the Sharrash, Talenta from the Eberron Campaign Setting (p.123 I think). It deals 1d10 damage, but it has a 19-20/x4 threat range. That is SCARY... and my characters new weapon choice. Did I mention that it was a reach weapon? It cost a feat to get to but damn does that look handy.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 01:50:43 pm by The Fool »

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2543 on: August 27, 2011, 01:49:42 pm »

ok, so Natural Bond is effectively useless for a full on Druid.

I'm just not seeing many druid-related feats. Is there a druid specific book someplace? I'm reluctant to have to download yet another book, but my book searching isn't helping me much.

And still wondering about that scimitar thing.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 - Western Marches (next game soon) (very soon) (always recruiting)
« Reply #2544 on: August 27, 2011, 03:13:12 pm »

It's dangerous to go alone, take this. Specifically page 76.

I thought it was relevant enough to re-post. The page number still stands. If you see something you want then you can get the book.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2545 on: August 27, 2011, 04:06:57 pm »

Well that does help a bit, but not tons. I'm wondering where this Monsterous Animal Companion List is? The feat for it comes from a dragon magazine if I'm reading that right - DR326, pg32

I can't seem to figure out where that list is, so I don't know if it's anything I want or not.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2546 on: August 27, 2011, 04:31:02 pm »

Sadly no Dragon Magazine material can be used since the material isn't really online anywhere. I kind of wish there were pdfs of those, but as far I know there aren't. If you are looking for dinos for your original idea they are in MM3. The dinos are grouped into one section so they should be easy to find. I'll see if I can't find/make a big list later.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2547 on: August 27, 2011, 04:49:19 pm »

Dino's were the plan. Or at least the hope.

Pachycephalosaurus would be awesome, but I think we'd have to homebrew something up there. Maybe give it only a slam attack, instead of a claw or bite, maybe a tail whip option, but mostly focused on the armored skull bash. Sandstorm also mentioned Protoceretops, and that could be cool as well, but like I said, it needs that level 7 companion table, and that just seems odd to me to switch companions as you level.

See the reasoning being the Dinos as a companion is that I'm planning to have this guy be a painted elf. And the description for where painted elves live says petrified forests. When I think of petrified wood, I easily think of fossils and then Dinosaurs... Ok maybe I'm stretching a bit, but I still think it would be fun to have a Dino companion of some sort.

Edit: I think I may be getting to the end of my character creation here. So kinda hoping I get a GM word about level and starting money sometime soon.

Edit2: More GM allowed or no questions:
1. Endless rations 350g... from the item book, seems a bit... too reasonable?
2. Liquid Salt, Shapesand, and Slumber Sand. All from the Sandstorm book
3. The Spell Compendium has some nice sand based druid spells, I'd be most interested in Sandblast, Snake's Swiftness, and Saltray, along with all the druid spells listed in Sandstorm(especially, Sand Scimitar, Summon Desert Ally(dustform creatures), and Dessicate). Most should be ok, other than maybe Snake's Swiftness, that seems a bit overpowered to me.
4. Wondering also about Zen archery, that just seems broken all over the place with high wisdom being used for ranged attacks. but I'd love it if I could have it.

Character Sheet so far:
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=324499

If Zen archery is allowed, I'll probably lower some of that dex, to maximize wisdom, and maybe raise str up some more. Let me know if any of you rules experts see anything blatently wrong.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 05:37:51 pm by Haika »

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2548 on: August 28, 2011, 12:41:11 am »

The rations are a much more cost effective way to live. Even at 1gp per meal that is 350 days. While we will eventually pass this point you will have several thousand gold and not miss the extra 200g before we hit level 20. In-game we have spent maybe 20 days since we found the first desert town, and we have leveled 3 times since then. If you think about it, we may not even get to 350 days before we hit level 20.

So my back-up character is going to be a weapon 'created' by priests of Palor to restore order to the world. While this is practically Van's story I have RPing plans for this. He is going to treat the innocent with respect and compassion, but for the chaotic and guilty this is going to be one violent paladin. I even nicknamed him Palor's Reaper for the occasion. I may even work in Palor of the Burning Hate if it fits well enough. Devotion feats are handy for paladins. They can burn turning checks for various awesome effects. +2 AC for allies in 30 ft. as an immediate action is handy. As is +3 to attack rolls for one minute.

For all my characters I need to write more than what I have in the past. When I write a backstory it becomes how I roleplay it, but this seems to be my downfall. I seem to run out of material or complete a goal without a new goal to take its place. For instance with Rumus, I ran out of material to roleplay already, and I have no overarching goal to achieve. If I fail to write in a goal I will be drawn to a back-up before Rumus dies. It would be cool if there were hints at Procan's presence so that a hunt for Procan isn't so dull and fruitless, but even then I have no reason to seek Procan out other than respect. I have officially written myself into a corner. Anyone care to help? I'm not quite ready to change characters again.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2549 on: August 28, 2011, 01:54:50 am »

I don't know all the details, but you could always put in some sort of backstory grudge against another god, maybe an enemy of Procan, and you are seeking him for help to avenge whatever happened before.

For me, writing a backstory is a never-ending process. As you can always add more. What you write should all fit together somehow, but there's noting saying that things can't be sparked anew, and assumed to have been there all the time and so on.

I'm not really one to preach since I'm just about to switch characters myself because of roleplay reasons, but that's my 0.02$
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 244