Poll

What day should regular sessions be on?

Saturdays!
- 17 (77.3%)
Sundays!
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 244

Author Topic: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: dead and gone (RIP)  (Read 300402 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 - Western Marches (next game Saturday) (always recruiting)
« Reply #2490 on: August 24, 2011, 10:15:45 am »

Do daggers qualify as a ranged weapon for the purposes of benefiting from the rapid shot feat when thrown?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: August 24, 2011, 02:53:37 pm »

Ok, I've slept a bit, and have been tossing about ideas for characters in my head. Trying to figure out what to do here.

I think the primary fault in Izaak at this point for me is motivation. In my mind his motivation was loot, and all that has done so far is make headaches for everyone around.

His combat mechanics are weak due to the amounts of damage he can deal with thrown daggers.
His versatility in combat is less as well because his home-brewed class is so specialized(though Knife Trick at level 4 might help help some).
His skills are focused in search and slight of hand, because I thought those would be the important ones for looting.
I also focused his stats on Dex, leaving Cha and Wis as dump stats, thinking I wouldn't need them. Except that his performance and bluffing type personality relies heavily on them.

I don't like making quick decisions but last night I basically had it with all the loot drama, and me feeling like I'm pissing everyone off because I'm trying to roleplay a greedy thief(who wasn't even a thief really). So at this point, I'm thinking at least putting Izaak on hold, have him wander off and join a circus or something, and maybe come back to him later if that's allowed(maybe even totally re-rolling his character at that point).

Then the question becomes, what do I make next. I do like the nature classes personally, but we have so many of them in the party. I thought about playing a cleric, or the divine touched thing, but RAM has that covered, and is way better at bending the rules and mechanics to his will than I could be. So at this point, I guess I'm thinking A melee primary character. Fighter, Monk, or even something like a Paladin(though that could be /very/ interesting with a Necromancer in the party).

Spoiler: Pointless side-ramble (click to show/hide)

The problem I see with the straight melee classes comes from versatility again. Pump str, wear heavy armor, get a weapon. Use weapon on baddie in combat, maybe roleplay being dumb outside of combat. Of course a Paladin might be different, but that's a whole new bag of worms, going from one extreme(greedy thief type), to the other(holier than thou Paladin).

Monk seems interesting at first, until I realize it suffers from the same damage limited effects the knife thrower has. Using your body as a weapon is limited because the system says you can only do so much damage with unarmed combat at lower levels. Compared to just a normal fighter who can pick up a 2-handed masterwork weapon and do D12+1 damage or more.

All of this is just rambling thoughts, and now I realize I've written a novel here that no one will probably read all the way through.

Basic Points:

*Izaak is out for various reasons.
*I want to make a new character, but am floundering in concrete ideas.
*I'm thinking melee, but want choices of what I can do both in and outside of combat.
*I want to be able to have a better motivation than 'becoming rich and obtaining loots'.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 03:01:34 pm by Haika »
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: August 24, 2011, 03:26:43 pm »

I read through it.

Here is a link to the journals from every session, but I can break down the party dynamics personally if you'd like. In the meanwhile, I shall help you address your main points.

*I want to make a new character, but am floundering in concrete ideas.
*I'm thinking melee, but want choices of what I can do both in and outside of combat.
*I want to be able to have a better motivation than 'becoming rich and obtaining loots'.
Motivation is all up to you, and can be pretty much anything. If you were a paladin, perhaps you'd like to destroy all them evil things. If you were a Procan worshiper, perhaps you'd like to find the ocean. Et cetera.

Now, characters that have a lot of choices both in and out of combat are fairly difficult to find, but here are some recommendations. For the combat side, pick something that you want your character to do. For example, preventing damage to squishies or killing smart enemies that aren't just big meatshields. For the noncombat side, you can do pretty much anything. Class will have an effect, though. A sorcerer that doesn't dump charisma like Maelrigar (example: a smart one) will be pretty good at diplomacy and can use that to his advantage. A barbarian that dumps charisma will be pretty ineloquent, but could probably get his way through brute force.

Also, don't worry about playing a redundant character. We're all redundant in a party this big, just play what you want to.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: August 24, 2011, 04:47:00 pm »

You know, Izzak might work better as a Scout...skirmish bonuses could really help boost knife damage.

Anyway, it's hard to suggest anything to you if you don't have an idea yourself. For me, I actually choose a race I like to roleplay-then my class. Human just seems to easy to pick for the extra feat.

That why my current chars on my D&D games are...

-Halfling Druid/Stormcaster
-Kobold Ranger (:3)
-Desert Dwarf Warlock
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: August 24, 2011, 05:08:48 pm »

There is that route. Throughout the ages on this forum I've played...

A Warforged Fighter (One of my first characters. Did not go well.)
A Grippli Ranger (One of my most fun characters, hope to bring it back someday.)
A Radiant Creature'd Human Cleric (Currently in D&D: The Mercenaries)
An elderly Human Fighter (for a short time)
A Human Dread Necromancer (for a very short time)
A Choker Knight (In fairness, it was for a monstrous campaign)
A Water Orc Battle Sorcerer (Maelrigar)

And my backup character is a Dragontouched Warforged Fighter. Silly Characters are basically how I roll.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: August 24, 2011, 05:31:30 pm »

There is that route. Throughout the ages on this forum I've played...

A Warforged Fighter (One of my first characters. Did not go well.)
A Grippli Ranger (One of my most fun characters, hope to bring it back someday.)
A Radiant Creature'd Human Cleric (Currently in D&D: The Mercenaries)
An elderly Human Fighter (for a short time)
A Human Dread Necromancer (for a very short time)
A Choker Knight (In fairness, it was for a monstrous campaign)
A Water Orc Battle Sorcerer (Maelrigar)

And my backup character is a Dragontouched Warforged Fighter. Silly Characters are basically how I roll.

The issue here being, I don't understand half of what you listed there. Dragontouched? Warforged? Choker? Radiant Creature'd? Grippli? I'd love to know all the strange and silly variants I could use, but I don't. And I don't have the time to read every last reference book, when it takes me days just to plot out a character that's within my simplicity range.

I was thinking a Desert Ranger type idea, maybe with the background story option shoruke offered in the OP. Some sort of wandering nomad who is used to life in the desert. Might even have ranks in Druid, and try to make the spells earth or sand based somehow.

I have ideas, it's just putting them into practice that seems difficult.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: August 24, 2011, 05:55:05 pm »

All the references. All of them. But in handy table summary form. Also, most of the rules you'll need for general play are here.

For a desert character, I'd recommend the Unearthed Arcana desert variants, like the desert elves and desert goblins and whatnot. (They're in the Races pdf, it's searchable, too!) Nomad... ranger is always spiffy for those. Geomancer might be an interesting class. (not sure if it's a base class or a prestige class you'd have to work into.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: August 24, 2011, 06:27:10 pm »

I did not intend to make Stihe a melee-orientated person at all. She is pretty much designed to be non-combat or casting augmentation. She also has a very versatile magical toolbox which should allow her to be the bane of enemy spellcasters and help solve complex magical puzzles. She does have several real big holes in her build though, which require cooperation with others. Since we have a lot of power, the weakness in combat and certain other roles isn't too big of a problem though. She makes up for it with her skills in other areas. For example, Stihe is a good at infiltration, and is certainly the best at it in the party. While it is Unlikely that role will be nessessary, it is also unlikely that a barrel of holy water being carried around would be useful as well, but the first time the situation was encountered where it could solve a problem having the Barrel ended up looking like foresight. Stihe's skills are the same way.

For your build, I'm thinking with a little application of poison, you could be pretty darn scary.

If you really want to have a different character though, describe it here and we will be able to help you build it.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: August 24, 2011, 07:07:11 pm »

Poison was mentioned when I was creating Izaak, but it's extremely dangerous to use. I'd be constantly making saves, and knowing my luck with rolls, I'd probably kill myself, or infect the party somehow more than it being useful. It felt like it was more trouble than it was worth.

I'm still thinking the Desert type folk, Ranger/Druid type. I'd rather not have the standard forest type magic and animals and the like though. I'd prefer desert versions. Like if I have a choice of animal companion, I'd love like giant scorpion, or something(maybe even one of those land shark things). I'm worried that spells and the like won't be specific enough to have a sand or desert varient on them.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: August 24, 2011, 07:11:03 pm »

Yeah, I get the feeling Stihe really hasn't gotten a chance to shine yet. I'm clueless about Spellthieves other than the obvious "They steal spells!".

For poison, maybe we could go hunting giant scorpions or something we could extract poison from? I looked at poison when I was trying help Haika make his character and the cost of it seemed like it was not exactly cost effective.

@Haika: Well, Sandstorm has rules for Desert variants of many classes-rangers, priests, druids etc.

Edit: You should def. look at it if you can. It has a lot of Desert themed spells and prestige classes.

I plan to take the Flaywind Burst spell from there one day when Andre can cast it. :)

« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 07:13:13 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: August 24, 2011, 08:05:35 pm »

oi... /another/ book. >< I'm downloading it, but is it even allowed?

I'd like to see my guy sort of as a mix of the Arabian guy from the Prince of Thieves movie, and the Desert Ranger guy from the modern Mummy Movies. With some sand or earth based magic thrown in for flavor and options.

Wrapped in cloth, dark skinned, large scimitar, animal companion, might use a bow when needed. Summoning or moving sand at will, like pulling a handful out of a sack and flinging it at an enemy and having it turn into shards of glass or rock or something on the way. I dunno, just brainstorming.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: August 24, 2011, 09:42:32 pm »

I find that looking at prestige classes and their abilities is a decent way to come up with an idea for a character.

For Mael, a 3/day command word item of Bladeweave, CL 3, would have market price of 6,480; I would need 3,240 on the spot and 1,620 some time at a later date. A 4/day item would have a market price of 8,640, with me requiring 4,320 and 2,160 at a later date. It would just cost 60 gp to hire a CL 3 wizard for a second level spell, but this would be done on your own. An unlimited use-activated item of Bladeweave, CL 3, would cost 12,000; I would charge 6,000 on the spot and an IOU of 3,000. If you go for a 50 charge spell trigger item (that is, a wondrous item remarkably similar to a wand), the market price is only 4,500. I would charge 2,250 at creation time and 1,125 at a later date.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: August 24, 2011, 10:00:05 pm »

Considering that Shoruke is using all sorts of Sandstorm stuff, I'd guess it's pretty safe.

An unlimited use-activated item of Bladeweave, CL 3, would cost 12,000; I would charge 6,000 on the spot and an IOU of 3,000
This sounds like it would be utterly fantastical. Well, let me do some mathemagic.

I currently have 5455gp. I just found out that one of my rings of protection (+1) is redundant, so I could sell that. That'd bring me pretty close to 6k

Now, if shoruke allows the price-reduction-via-restrictions method, I could make it sorcerer-only and reduce the cost by 30%. Sure, nobody else in the party could really use it, but it's the type of enchantment I'd like to keep around. That would make for a cost of 8400. If it were the same ratios of pay, that's 4200 up front and an IOU of 2100. I can do more than the 4.2k up front if this is allowed.

Bladeweave use-activated would let me make one touch attack to daze an opponent each round, though the Will DC would be terribad. It's still a chance, though. Definitely useful for the one time I daze the boss.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 10:21:22 pm by Barbarossa TSG »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: August 24, 2011, 10:19:00 pm »

Oops, double post
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 10:21:09 pm by Barbarossa TSG »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: August 24, 2011, 10:41:05 pm »

Oh, wow, I done fucked up my math and missed note 3 on that table. I presume Bladeweave is measured in rounds, correct? Well, I- wait, that just says for continuous items. Never mind.

For the restrictions, typically they require the creator to meet the restriction. However, that could be shenanigan'd away easily enough: Somehow, it only works for characters with the option to take an animal companion. Or perhaps it only works for non-lawful, non-evil, at least partially neutral characters with at least a +1 bonus to Strength, a +1 bonus to Intelligence, Dexterity of 10, and a +2 bonus to constitution, whose classes grant a +3/4 BAB, poor reflex save, good will save, 9 ranks in concentration, medium armor proficiency, and d8 hit dice, who are able to cast 3rd level spells, who are in the adult age category, who are humanoid, with either the orc or human subtype. That should be more specific than an alignment or class, and conveniently includes both Mael, the intended user, and Ethan, the creator.
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 244