Poll

What day should regular sessions be on?

Saturdays!
- 17 (77.3%)
Sundays!
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 244

Author Topic: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: dead and gone (RIP)  (Read 300096 times)

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 - Western Marches (session on Saturday) (always recruiting)
« Reply #840 on: February 01, 2011, 11:09:55 pm »

Personally, I'd dump necromancy if given the choice of the two. Enchantments have their perks even if you don't start with one. There is never truly a terrible choice with D&D.

Your person can still be as you picture them. Charisma has many ways of emerging, it can be the way you talk, look, or your attitude towards others. Your person can look great with just 8 Charisma points but their personality might be a bit painful for everyone else. A 10 is an average person.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: February 01, 2011, 11:20:47 pm »

Corina dumped Necromancy and enchantment. It may be advantageous to dump different schools.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: February 01, 2011, 11:28:43 pm »

Hey Araph, welcome to the group, and don't worry about your noobishness, I've been there too. I'll let you start at level one if you want... however, the starting level is now level 2 (I think I forgot to put that in the OP) and starting gold is now 550 gp (I'm aware that's well below the recommended wealth for a level 2 character, but the campaign has been a tad low on decent loot thus far... something that I fully intend to fix relatively soon). If you start at level 1 (with only 100 gp), you'll be way behind the power curve of the rest of the party, and there's a good chance you'll feel left out of the combat.

As for your sheet, RAM's taken a pretty good look at it: you've still got a bunch of stuff to fill in, but you've got a good start. And yes, you pick a school to specialize in at level 1. You're able to change it later when you level up if you choose to, but you'll be much better off if you pick what you want to do as soon as possible and stick with it. Specializing in general isn't really too much of a good or too much of a bad idea; it really depends on what you're trying to do with your character. If you want to give up the ability to spread plague and compel others to do your bidding FOR you in exchange for more and better self-defense magic, then that's your choice all the way. Specializing in a school of magic tends to make for some good roleplaying, too.

The Kelgore's Fire Bolt spell is fine with me, although it's a bit of a misnomer, from the description. (more like Kelgore's fiery orb)

And I *finally* got through the magical crossbreeding book. It looks fine to me, with an exception and a note. The exception is that, on a failed check, I think I'll make the consequences harsher on the subject, like reducing the resultant creature's con score by the amount of the failure squared (fail by 4? Lose 16 con). Imagine, if you will, the consequences of the veins leading into your heart being 1cm off. Also, this practice will draw your alignment slowly towards chaotic evil (for long-story-short murdering something in a torturous, highly unnatural way, subjugating the will of another creature, etc. etc... the exception is if you use it on someone who is threatening society at large, or if they're a willing volunteer).
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: February 01, 2011, 11:51:59 pm »

At each level you receive 2 skill points for being a wizard, 3 skill points for having a +3 intelligence modifier, and four times as many points because it is your first character level.

You take your 20 skill points(unless my maths is off...) and spend them on skill ranks. You can have a maximum of 4(level+3) ranks in any skill that is a class skill for any of your classes, and 2((level+3)/2) ranks in any skill that is cross-class for all your classes. There is some debate over this but I believe that 1 skill point buys 1 rank in a skill that is a class skill for your current class and half a rank in a skill that is cross-class for your current class. Only completed ranks add to your dice rolls, but half ranks let you maintain your cross-class skills and also grant the ability to make trained checks in trained-only skills...

So basically, yes, you get 20 skill points and can spend them to get up to 4 ranks in class skills. Cross-class skills have half the maximum and get half-a-rank per skill point.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: February 02, 2011, 06:08:16 pm »

I may be a bit late to the session coming up but I'll be there.
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: February 02, 2011, 08:21:57 pm »

Hey Araph, welcome to the group

Hooray! I'm in! Man, if this was a movie I could totally imagine what my characters first scene would be like:

Ext. Foggy Dramatic Place - Night

A dramatic, wizardly figure stands in the screen. Dramatic mysterious fog swirls around his legs.
The lighting dramatically shadows his eyes. All in a mysterious, dramatic manner.
The figure is Araph, and he's here to kick ass, take names, and chew bubblegum.
But he never had any bubble gum to start with.

Aaaaaaaand scene!

@ Lord Shonus
If Corina dumped those schools, what did she specialize in? I'd either dump those two schools or just not specialize; I definitely want my avatar to be able to use the other schools.

Like Shoruke said, specializing is adds a bit to roleplaying. Though I hadn't added this bit to his backstory yet, Araph doesn't like to rely on things other than himself. He'd be fine with working with the group of adventurers, but he wouldn't want to rely on his control of enemies (like with enchantment).

@ RAM
Thanks for the help, I corrected the skills. Was there something else I'm missing in the sheet, or did I get it right?

@ The Fool
That's why I put points into charisma. Part of my characters character is his personality (same reason I chose 'polite' as one of his traits).

@ Shoruke
Regarding the experience, would it be possible to stagger it somehow? Maybe have a bonus to all experience gains until I've had the bonuses total 1000 (that's how much it takes to level up to level 2, right?)?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 08:28:27 pm by Araph »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: February 02, 2011, 09:05:54 pm »

I can't wait until we're all level 10.

1) Enemies sighted
2) Combat begins
3) Horrific amounts of spells are unleashed
4) Win

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: February 02, 2011, 09:07:09 pm »

Well that is if we survive the first assault by the monsters, we barely have any meat shields up front.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: February 02, 2011, 09:27:15 pm »

By level 9 I should have 29 AC, which means I can remain a dodge tank for quite some time. Perhaps by then I can take Karmic Strike (Oriental Adventures p.63) and just abuse the number of AoOs that I get for free attacks on enemies. That will by this time be 2 sets of 2d6's with a possible sneak attack that might also blind the enemies (thank you feats and multiclassing).
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 09:56:02 pm by The Fool »

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: February 02, 2011, 10:30:26 pm »

Well that is if we survive the first assault by the monsters, we barely have any meat shields up front.
Van is a pretty good blink tank, and Maelrigar is holding his own unbelievably well for being an Orc Battle Sorcerer. I was just trying to nerf myself, and suddenly... dueling a spider to death!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: February 02, 2011, 10:34:29 pm »

Plus, I'll have five levels of Wild Shaping by then.

Are we playing with Dinosaurs?

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: February 02, 2011, 10:44:50 pm »

What exactly is a blink tank?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: February 02, 2011, 10:51:43 pm »

We're playing with a Wyvern, if that counts. They haven't been there in a while, though.

What exactly is a blink tank?
I'm not sure how common the terminology is, but 'blink tank' refers to somebody who can attract hits and then dodge them with their high AC or Evasion, preventing others from being hit. In contrast, a 'blood tank' attracts the hits and just absorbs them with their massive pool of hit points, damage reduction, and energy resistance. Van (the monk) is a good example of a blink tank because he has really high dexterity and uses that as a source for much of his AC. Maelrigar (my battle sorcerer) is a good example of a blood tank because he has really high constitution (and therefore HP) and wears heavy armor as his main source of AC.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: February 02, 2011, 11:03:41 pm »

I see.

Wait, a battle sorcerer? Wouldn't he have fewer hit points and lower strength? It seems like he would be less efficient than some tanks.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: February 02, 2011, 11:10:03 pm »

I don't know but that thing fricken works... He's been standing at the front lines for awhile and yeah as Barb said. He was going toe to toe with a Giant Cave Spider while the wizardly folk slung spell after spell at it.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 244