Poll

What day should regular sessions be on?

Saturdays!
- 17 (77.3%)
Sundays!
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 244

Author Topic: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: dead and gone (RIP)  (Read 300080 times)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 - Western Marches (session on Saturday) (always recruiting)
« Reply #855 on: February 02, 2011, 11:11:25 pm »

The armor helps, no doubt.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: February 02, 2011, 11:39:56 pm »

Aye, it's a class variant that sacrifices some spells per day in exchange for getting the base attack bonus and hit die of a cleric.

AC - 21 (10 + 6 from armor + 3 from shield + 1 natural + 1 deflection)
HP - 37 (9 from CON, 10 from Heroic Durability, and HP rolls of 6, 7, and 8.)

It also helps that he's wielding a Greatsword in one hand due to a feat so that he can hold a shield in the other. 2d6+5 damage is pretty mean at level 3, and a critical hit is just silly. (I just wish I'd gotten one earlier to bring the spider down faster)

Contrary to most sorcerers, Maelrigar is a Water Orc. He only has just enough charisma to cast 4th level spells, though his charisma is likely to increase as he gets to higher level spells. In exchange though, he actually gets +4 constitution, which translates to 2 extra hit points per level plus some unreasonably good fortitude saves.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: February 03, 2011, 12:05:46 am »

Personally I can't wait to run into a pack of mages. With a touch AC of 22 and a reflex save bonus of +9 I think I could decimate most mages that we meet with ease.

Maelrigar is a really intense attempt at nerfing a character gone awesome. I mean Shoruke threw a CR 9 spider at us (a little too strong for us) and he dealt the vast majority of the damage and killed it.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: February 03, 2011, 12:17:24 am »

Duplicate post somehow. Ignore this and read on.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 12:29:32 am by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: February 03, 2011, 12:27:42 am »

Araph, you've got too many skills. I suspect you haven't done your cross-class skills properly; for skills that are not class skills for the class you're taking a level in, each rank costs 2 points. So, your ranks in hide and move silently are both costing you 2 points each, as is your rank in Use Magic Device.

Maelrigar's entire build revolves around maxxing out the amount of armor he can wear without taking an Arcane Failure Chance, buffing himself out with his worse-than-average sorcerer powers, and then using his melee stats and buffs to do some frontlining.

If he were to duel an actual sorcerer... well, I suppose it depends on the sorcerer, and how he does on his saves. At higher levels, he won't be able to do the heavy-duty blasting that sorcerers typically do, but he'll be much better at duelling than most fighters, even with his lack of combat feats.

Also, I'm going to make a ruling about selling spellbooks (which is not going to apply to Finni's already-sold book). Since splatbooks are available, but spellbooks are defined as having "all the 0th level spells you can cast", from now on, all the level-0 spells take up a total of 20 pages. This counts towards both the price you'll get for selling it, and how many spells you can write into your book.

Maelrigar is a really intense attempt at nerfing a character gone awesome. I mean Shoruke threw a CR 9 spider at us (a little too strong for us) and he dealt the vast majority of the damage and killed it.
CR 6, actually. But still.

Regarding the experience, would it be possible to stagger it somehow?
The experience system in D&D is self-correcting; since you're lower level, you get more experience in every fight. Well, more experience than the people who have hit level 4, at any rate. Characters from level 1-3 are all in the same exp bracket. (seems weird to me, since that's the point of a character's career where being even one level behind hurts the most, but whatever...)
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: February 03, 2011, 12:37:22 am »

Araph, you've got too many skills. I suspect you haven't done your cross-class skills properly; for skills that are not class skills for the class you're taking a level in, each rank costs 2 points.

Whoops! If I counted right, I have 2 points too many. I remove my ranks in Move Silently, so it should be better now.

Regarding the experience, would it be possible to stagger it somehow?
The experience system in D&D is self-correcting; since you're lower level, you get more experience in every fight.

What I mean is, experience can be added arbitrarily, correct? In a manner similar to you adding experience for journals, couldn't a percentage of the experience I gain be added to the experience I get up to the point that I have gotten enough extra experience to level up?

On an unrelated note, how would a multiclassing wizard/rogue hold up? That was my idea in putting points into Open Lock and Move Silently as well as choosing a higher dexterity score, but I'm not sure if it'd be a good choice.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: February 03, 2011, 01:08:32 am »

I think you should look into a spellthief, it's pretty much what you are looking for in a class that is all wrapped up for you.

It may not pack the omf that a wizard has but it still gives you a good amount of skill points while giving you spell like abilities and some neat special abilities like actually being able to steal a spell from someone who is casting.
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: February 03, 2011, 07:41:04 am »

I would not want to multiclass as a spellcaster just because what you can cast is based on your spellcasting class level. So by taking a rogue level you will from then on be dividing levels between the two fairly evenly, or suffer the -20% incoming exp penalty for being more than 2 levels apart (This can be bypassed, see next message).

Higher level spells have high damage, or strong effects, but on the other hand you will get sneak attack damage. You can easily limit yourself by multiclassing but it can also be handy. I'd think of the benefits of a Wizard/Rogue before you multiclass, or find a feat that lets you base spellcasting levels on both Wizard and Rogue levels (which is similar to the reason I multiclassed).

A good combo for a Wizard/Rogue would be Darkness/Magic Missile. You can't miss and you would get your sneak attack damage no matter what. Look for such combos before deciding.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 08:46:28 am by The Fool »

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: February 03, 2011, 07:49:57 am »

I would not want to multiclass as a spellcaster just because what you can cast is based on your spellcasting class level. So by taking a rogue level you will from then on be dividing levels between the two fairly evenly, or suffer the -20% incoming exp penalty for being more than 2 levels apart.
I'm pretty certain that favoured class bypasses this, and his favoured class is "highest class" so he's good there.

Corina is specialized in Conjuration. I merely suggested that you select different schools so the two wizards don't share the same weaknesses. (Plus, having a necromancer for Corina to hate would be cool.)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: February 03, 2011, 10:07:15 am »

Yeah, favored class bypasses the penalty. I was planning on having mostly levels as a wizard, with a few as a rogue. At level 10, I might have put 6 or 7 levels or so into wizard, and 3 to 4 into rogue. I checked out their class features and I've sorta figured out what I'm going to do.

Lord Shonus, what schools should I dump then? I agree that the spellcasters shouldn't both have the same weaknesses, but I don't want to lose the ability to cast spells from the other schools.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: February 03, 2011, 10:17:41 am »

You could probably get by ditching Transmutation, Evocation, or Conjuration. If you multi into Rouge, then you can use skills to do a alot of the work Transmutation deals with, and at higher levels Emchantment or Necromancy will have the same control power.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: February 03, 2011, 11:04:58 am »

A good combo for a Wizard/Rogue would be Darkness/Magic Missile. You can't miss and you would get your sneak attack damage no matter what. Look for such combos before deciding.

Actually, no. You cannot sneak attack without making an attack roll. The only spells you can sneak attack with are either ranged touch attacks (like ray spells) or touch-range touch attacks.
... find a feat that lets you base spellcasting levels on both Wizard and Rogue levels (which is similar to the reason I multiclassed).
There's no way you're going to get a feat to give you full spellcasting progression without continuing to take levels in a spellcasting class. The best you can hope for to keep your spells up to date on levels where you multiclass is to keep your CL (caster level) up; this won't give you new spells or more spells per day, but your spells' durations and damage will continue to increase. But, if you want to multiclass wizard/rogue, I can try to homebrew a multiclassing feat for you to eventually take.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: February 03, 2011, 11:17:34 am »

Dude knows his sneak attack rules. He ain't no Fool.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: February 03, 2011, 12:47:07 pm »

Maybe I'll dump conjuration. Transmutation seems too useful to lose, and evocation will be my only real attacking ability for a few levels. If Corina specializes in conjuration, we could do without a second conjurer. Also, my main class will be wizard, with only a few levels of rogue. I haven't completely looked through all of the rogue class features, so my plans for my character are still a little shaky.
I know that my levels as a rogue would limit my ability as a wizard, but if you could make a feat that helps with it, that would be awesome.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: February 03, 2011, 02:39:50 pm »

Are we playing with Dinosaurs?

Still wondering. If not, I guess it's fine, but Dinos give me some options. Also, what's the requirement for Exalted feats? I've seen many varying opinions on them.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 244