Poll

What day should regular sessions be on?

Saturdays!
- 17 (77.3%)
Sundays!
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 244

Author Topic: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: dead and gone (RIP)  (Read 300061 times)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 - Western Marches (session on Saturday) (always recruiting)
« Reply #825 on: January 31, 2011, 08:23:36 pm »

Is it possible for me to join? I read the first post, but I was to impatient and easily excitable to read through all the thread's pages. I tried starting playing DnD (4th Edition), but I couldn't find a group and apparently 3.5 is better than 4. Whoops on my part. I know in general how to play, but I may need a bit of patience from the other players when I exhibit my stupidity.
I downloaded Maptools and Hamachi, so I'll be ready to play whenever everybody else is if I can join.

Should I post a character and backstory and whatnot?

EDIT: How do I connect with Maptool? By which I mean, what's the server's name?
DOUBLE EDIT:
There will be no session next week, I'll be helping a friend move. JSYK.
Dammit.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 08:45:56 pm by Araph »

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: January 31, 2011, 08:46:05 pm »

The Maptool server only comes up on game days at a specific time.

If you want to play make a character and Shoruke will either deny or approve it. Also I don't mind a newbie since not to long ago I was one and we were all their at one point or another. Also I share your pain, because 4e got me first as well. 4e isn't all that bad though, it just depends on what type of game you are looking to play.
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: January 31, 2011, 09:03:55 pm »

I will likely be there for the game, though I may miss the first hour due to having to attend a play at my school.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: January 31, 2011, 09:56:21 pm »

Will be able to make it unless some freak nuclear warhead or something goes off.

And for pure evil, you can do a trap: Iron Body on the entire group, then drop a few rust monsters on us. But that would be borderline criminal.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 10:05:10 pm by RedWarrior0 »

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: January 31, 2011, 10:04:10 pm »

Um... For my new character, I used that character sheet generator, filled it out, saved it, but... What do I do with it? If I save it as a text file, it's all weird. So, do I post the weird text file, email the good file to Shoruke...?

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: January 31, 2011, 10:23:08 pm »

For ease of use I would actually just transfer the information to a Mythweavers page (link in OP) and then just post a link to the sheet. It does a fair number of sheet changes for you (such as Armor Class calculations) and should be easier in the long run. Also there actually is a session this week, it was last Saturday that Shoruke was helping someone move.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: January 31, 2011, 10:39:51 pm »

Ok, here it is:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=272062

I filled the sheet out as best I could with the information from the character generator. I think I did it right, but I'm not sure what to do for the spell, traits, and flaws sections.

If anyone notices any glaring flaws in it (I'm sure theirs a few in there), please point 'em out, and I'll fix them.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 11:00:12 pm by Araph »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: February 01, 2011, 12:09:43 am »

You only have 32 points in attributes. I'd recommend using the Pathguy 3.5 generator's point buy calculator. It's a different system wherein every stat starts at 8 and you spend points to go up from there, with higher values requiring more points.

Another wizard is cool though.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: February 01, 2011, 07:41:09 am »

All stats start at 8, but lets explain it backwards this time and see if that is clearer.
Step 1, you have 32 points.
Step 2, you can spend points freely to raise any attributes up to any amounts less than or equal to 6. One point spent raises one attribute by one.
Step 3, you may spend points to raise your attributes from 6 to an amount less than or equal to 8. Two points spent raises an attribute by one.
Step 4, as step 3, but you are raising the attributes from 8 to 9 or 10, and it costs 3 points for each attribute increase.
Step 4, add 8 to all your attributes.
Step 5, apply racial modifiers to all relevant attributes.

Note that in 3.5 it is generally best to have even numbers in your attributes, as you bonuses are based upon half your attribute rounded down. Pretty much everything is based upon the bonus instead of the actual attribute score, carrying capacity is one exception, and an extra point can be useful if your attributes are damaged, but basically everyone always aims to have even numbers in their attribute scores.

Having a swarm of wizards is great, because, with some luck and/or expenditure, they can all share spellbooks...

3.5 offers a lot more freedom than 4e. In 4e you pick a couple of skills and forget about them, in 3.5 you can sprinkle your points however you want, varying them from level to level, and having potentially limitless numbers of perform skills...
 In 4e everyone the classes all use identical mechanics, in 3.5 the classes all use identical mechanics, but the fighters generally don't have access to spells, and the wizards generally don't want to hit things, the characters(except for that irritating archer, who could be any class...) all groan in protest if you are fighting from an antimagic ledge or otherwise forced to use ranged weapons, and the players all groan in protest if someone mentions the words 'grapple' or 'trip' or anything else which involves rereading the rules to make certain that you haven't forgotten anything... Melee can involve a half-a-dozen weapons making a dozen attacks using almost as many techniques and reference a dozen different feats. Ranged attacks are much like melee but with just enough tweaks that you are only likely to be good at one or the other. Spells on the other hand are completely different, and metamagics can turn that humble scorching ray into a lazer-disco of doom, or just let you summon a great cloud of monsters all at once...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: February 01, 2011, 08:30:17 am »

Here, you can use the character generator in the OP, here is a link.

http://www.pathguy.com/cg35lite.htm

All you really need is the stat block at the top, set it to point buy and it will tell you how many points you spent as you adjust the scores. The rest should be done through mythweavers and the SRD (link in OP) for more race options and feats than a java program can handle.

Also, add the racial ability modifiers after you finish the point buy, it can only complicate things by adding it early. Lastly the starting level is now level 2, if I'm not mistaken.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 08:34:41 am by The Fool »

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: February 01, 2011, 07:37:25 pm »

Aside from spells and levels, the character sheet is done. How many spells would I start with and would it be possible to start as a level 1 character? It may seem a bit dumb of me, but I have an aversion to letting myself get ahead of where I should be without doing anything. It stems from me discovering the console in Morrowind before leveling up even once.

EDIT: Woo! I just noticed that there's a date for the next session! Now I just need Shoruke to approve my character...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 07:41:44 pm by Araph »

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: February 01, 2011, 08:57:39 pm »

You get all the level-0 spells, and 4 level-1 spells (3 standard + 1 from high Int.). Also we will be fighting rather deadly enemies (things that can actually hit me) are you sure that you don't want the extra 1000 exp? If not just see if you can bank it for later then.

P.S. By taking a flaw you get a free feat and you start with a quarterstaff if you want one.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 09:06:31 pm by The Fool »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: February 01, 2011, 09:15:42 pm »

You start off knowing all cantrips and 6 1st level spells. After each rest you are reset to preparing 3 cantrips and two 1st level spells. You may prepare the same spell multiple times if you want to. You spend the preparation whenever you cast a spell, so at 1st level, with 16 intelligence, you can cast 5 times between rests, and only two of those times will be worth more than about 2 hit points. 1st level wizards generally carry a crossbow to shoot at things when they either don't have any spells left or want to save their spells for later.

You should have 20 skill points, 15 hit points, and a +2 'base' bonus to will saves. You also know 5 languages, two of which will be common and elven. As a half-elf you may pick pretty much any language other than druidic for your other three known languages.

You took the vulnerable flaw, this should entitle you to another feat, as you get a feat at first level and aside from spell focus your feats all look to be bonus feats.

You have 14 charisma and are a half-elf, which is great and all, but not ideal from a combat optimisation perspective. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't have a 14 charisma half-elven wizard, it is a fine and noble thing to do, but there are ways and means of gutting a character's character to give it more fire-power and/or durability...

Recommended spells:
 Magic Missile, reliable, good for getting a guaranteed kill on something very small or injured. At lower levels you probably want something with a bit more potential as your primary damage outlet but this retains some value at higher levels and is certainly no slouch at lower levels.
 Colour Spray, solid disabler with low range, continues to have some value at higher levels but is great at low-levels if you want a multiple-target disabler and don't mind getting close to the enemy.
 Grease, nice disabler with range and utility.
 Backbiter, from the spell compendium or complete arcane I think, makes the target hit themselves, at low levels there is likely to be some melee brute doing more damage than you are, this cuts down on damage received and likely does more damage than you would have. Note that this requires permission from the DM and requires a valid melee brute on the enemy team if it is to be effective.
 Mage armour, provides a little defence for a long time, particularly good for friendly monks and rogues who don't want to wear heavy armour, generally not worth the slot at low-levels.
 Burning Hands, damage over an area, the range stinks, but the damage is good.
 Chill touch, low damage with multiple uses, not really any good ever, but a nice option at higher levels if you do not feel threatened, especially if you pick up spectral hand...
 'Whatever the other wizard(s) want(s)', wizards can share spells, so you may wish to consult with them to get some obscure spell that they would not otherwise have. There are costs and rolls involved so make sure that you have at least one spell you would be proud of in case you can't learn any of the other's spells.

Recommended skills: Concentration, which lets you continue to cast spells when spellcasting becomes difficult or hazardous. Spellcraft, which lets you learn new spells and identify/counter spells that other people cast.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: February 01, 2011, 10:26:37 pm »

If you are looking for a good range touch attack at low levels (requires a roll, so it can be a bit chancy) then I would go for Kelgore's Fire Bolt (PHB2 p.116) which does 1d6/level (but a max of 5d6). For a level-1 spell it is a great damage dealer but again it needs to be OK'd by the DM.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: February 01, 2011, 10:43:10 pm »

Thanks for pointing out what I missed, I'll fix it now.

RAM, when you say I should have 20 skill points, do you mean I should be able to place 20 points into skill ranks (unless it isn't a class skill, in which case it's half a point - wow, I actually knew something! Hooray!)? Regarding my avatar's charisma stat, I chose that to fit in with my mental picture of him. If that was a bad move on my part, I'll change it though.

Also, for some reason when I think of switching my ability scores to get my character to be the best it can, I feel like I'm Red Mage from 8-Bit Theater.

School specializations are chosen when you create your character, right? If so, I'm thinking about specializing in abjuration or transmutation, but I'm not sure which. I'd dump enchantment and necromancy if I chose to specialize. I figured there's probably another wizard who focuses on evocation. What does everyone else think? Am I making a terrible choice?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 10:59:28 pm by Araph »
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 244