Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 790 791 [792] 793 794 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093619 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #11865 on: March 01, 2017, 11:29:23 pm »

You'll need to make it one duchy, not one county, because single counties don't de jure drift; You need to control the entire duchy, and not all the counties will be bordering you.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11866 on: March 02, 2017, 12:45:21 am »

I've made a couple of test excursions as various Frisian characters, and we have a couple problems.

1) Frisian Liberation Revolts pop up all the time, which do little but ruin your land and waste your time
2) Zeeland is, in the 1066 start, under the jurisdiction of France, while the rest of Frisia is in the HRE
  2a) To be an independent Frisia we'd have to escape the HRE
3) There are only two counts in de jure HRE Frisia in 1066, and they're both under the superduke of Lower Lorraine (and one of them is German rather than Frisian or Dutch, anyway)

I also tried a game as the Norse count of Holland in 867, but he's got his own issues--Norse is in a totally different cultural group than Dutch and Lotharingia tends to explode into warfare until another Karling takes a kingdom or inherits the realm. 769 has the problem that Big Karl owns half the counties in Frisia personally.

Alas there's no 650-734 start where Frisia had its own independent kingdom. By 734 Magna Frisia was defeated by the Francian armies. At this time, Frisia was still following Germanic paganism, and had a loose feudal system made up of multiple petty kingdoms that would combine into a single unit during war times; thus, the king of Frisia Magna was closer to a wartime administrator and a figurehead at other times. Interestingly, while there was still societal stratification, there was no true feudal system with serfdom in Frisia.
There is the Rise of Islam mod; there's an independent Frisia in the 633 start it adds, although it has to compete with the proto-Francia of Neustria and it's not at its 650 extent.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11867 on: March 02, 2017, 02:53:31 am »

You can still play as the son of the last Frisiab king in Charlemagne. You'll get eaten by Saxons if you don't swear loyalty to Charlie, though.
Love, scriver~

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11868 on: March 02, 2017, 06:13:36 am »

Does oversea provinces sharing a sea zone with de jure territory count as "neighbouring provinces"?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11869 on: March 02, 2017, 06:57:25 pm »

I swear, every time I go to war for a third kingdom title, so I can make an empire and complete The Caliphate Strikes Back, a rebellions happens or the Fatimids are pulled in. And then I have to white peace.

Meanwhile, the Holy Roman Empire dominates Jerusalem and Syria, half of Iberia is muslim, half my damn dynasty died of syphilis, the Aztecs are content to chill in Aquitaine, the Mongols decided they'd rather skip the middle of the steppes and go conquer east Europe, and women nearly have as many rights in the Abbasid Caliphate as men. Which is good, because matrilineal marriages are what is keeping my dynasty afloat. It is 1180.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11870 on: March 02, 2017, 07:40:18 pm »

You'll need to make it one duchy, not one county, because single counties don't de jure drift; You need to control the entire duchy, and not all the counties will be bordering you.

Ah.  Then le'ts make it be 'you can only control territory outside your de jure equal to the number of counties immediately bordering your territroy.  The maximum distance away for your de jure land is a single dutchy connected by land or a dutchy across a single sea zone.'  Last part so we can have exclaves or land in Britain.

Alas there's no 650-734 start where Frisia had its own independent kingdom. By 734 Magna Frisia was defeated by the Francian armies. At this time, Frisia was still following Germanic paganism, and had a loose feudal system made up of multiple petty kingdoms that would combine into a single unit during war times; thus, the king of Frisia Magna was closer to a wartime administrator and a figurehead at other times. Interestingly, while there was still societal stratification, there was no true feudal system with serfdom in Frisia.
There is the Rise of Islam mod; there's an independent Frisia in the 633 start it adds, although it has to compete with the proto-Francia of Neustria and it's not at its 650 extent.
You can still play as the son of the last Frisiab king in Charlemagne. You'll get eaten by Saxons if you don't swear loyalty to Charlie, though.

Let's stick with the 1066 start.  It is going to be running to the 1453 end date, after all.  Challenge should last a fair bit of time already.  Plus, it gives the most amount of time to create the independent Frisia (each de jure drift is 100 years by default.  Subtracting all of it away gives us roughly 90 years before you lost one of the de jure drifts.)
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11871 on: March 03, 2017, 05:08:34 am »

So something strange is going on in my France game.

Basically I'm now the Roman Empire after conquering Byzantine and destroying it. So France = Roman Empire now more or less.

Anyway, I've been storing vassals in prison to keep them out of trouble but once in awhile, maybe every 20 years or so, I'd get a vassal in prison who'd die to a duel.

The first few times I didn't think much about it but after maybe 6 or 7 times of me having to fix all the viceroyalties because someone died in a duel in prison I got curious.

1. How are people getting dueled in prison in the first place?
2. Why are even women dying to duels?
3. All these people who died to duels don't even have rivals.

I started looking through the death causes of these guys by clicking on the skulls and I noticed that every single one of them was slain by characters who are:
1. Immortal.
2. Pagan or Norse.
3. Have 30+ martial and a bunch of martial related traits like berserker and viking.
4. Lowborn with no family name.
5. Over 1300 years old.

Additionally, all of them died immediately after slaying my prisoners, even though they had the immortal trait.

So now I was really confused. So I checked the character list for more immortal characters and lo and behold I found two of them kicking around, with those same exact things. Except these guys didn't die after slaying their target.

So I fiddled around with favours and bribes until I could invite all two into my court and now my Empire has two immortal, 1300+ year-old superwarriors working for it.

I'm not sure what exactly they're supposed to be though. Has anyone else seen them before? I still have prisoners occasionally die to these grim reapers but none have continued living since I found these three.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is an ironman vanilla game by the way.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11872 on: March 03, 2017, 05:24:49 am »

There's some event where you can duel an immortal that was added sort of recent-ish, because Highlander is a thing. I know that one variant involves an immortal horse (implied to be Caligula's horse?) named something like "The Trampler of nations" or whatever. There is an achievement for this in fact.

I'm 99% sure that's only supposed to show up if you are hunting immortality (or maybe if you are already immortal?), or at least that how it's supposed to work. Can you figure out what these people dying in duels have in common?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11873 on: March 03, 2017, 07:57:27 am »

They show up randomly after you're Immortal and try to kill you in a duel. Presumably your prisoners were somehow becoming Immortal and being dueled themselves and losing because most characters are bad at dueling, or the game was bugging and proccing the event on them accidently.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11874 on: March 03, 2017, 11:42:03 am »

I'm 99% sure that's only supposed to show up if you are hunting immortality (or maybe if you are already immortal?), or at least that how it's supposed to work. Can you figure out what these people dying in duels have in common?
As far as I'm aware, the only thing they have in common is that they're all lunatic due to being stuck in prison so long.

I think the game is just being buggy and firing this event when it shouldn't.

Anyway, here are the two immortal supergenerals I have:

I converted them so they lost a trait or two here and there.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11875 on: March 03, 2017, 12:33:31 pm »

If you'd been reading, you'd realize that he isn't making the immortals, bro.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11876 on: March 03, 2017, 12:40:46 pm »

I am 2k prestige away from getting the Caliphate achievement. It's all I need to form a custom empire.

EDIT: Achievement get. Now to decide what I want to do with this run until the 7th.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 01:24:38 pm by Teneb »
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11877 on: March 03, 2017, 10:10:09 pm »

Duble post, but whatever.

This was posted earlier, but I only noticed now.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11878 on: March 04, 2017, 05:23:17 pm »

(that just popped up out of nowhere. I'm 650 hours into the game and I STILL don't get how claims work)
Claims explained.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11879 on: March 04, 2017, 09:04:44 pm »

You know, there's something that's always bugged me about CK2.

------

That being said, this is still a game. A very in depth and complicated game. It's a bit nuts to expect Three Kingdoms or Game of Thrones styled events in just a game.

Just a minor issue that bugs me.
Pages: 1 ... 790 791 [792] 793 794 ... 1002