Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 764 765 [766] 767 768 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093790 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #11475 on: December 30, 2016, 03:45:19 pm »

Come to think of it, shouldn't revolts of all kinds give you a revocation cause on the vassals involved?  Assuming it isn't in your demesne.

They literally have one job, and yet it's your problem.  It's good that you're allowed to directly help (unlike vassal vs vassal fights) but really, this shit is the entire point of feudal delegation.

Maybe it isn't fair to those lords.  Maybe it makes sense that the strength of the uprising is scaled to your kingdom/empire, because that many peasants would throw down their lives over matters that basically don't even concern them the tyranny of their boss's boss's boss speaking a different language.
Actually wait that's wrong, the peasants are happy as long as their count shares their culture.  That makes a LOT of sense.  CK2 is really good.

Still though, I should be able to revoke a count if their peasants uprise.  Literally a breach of the feudal contract.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11476 on: December 30, 2016, 04:43:19 pm »

If rank incompetence was a breach of the feudal contract you'd be able to revoke from anyone at any time.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11477 on: December 30, 2016, 05:03:00 pm »

At the very least provincial revolts are far too common as is, especially considering that they're basically just nuisances rather than legitimate threats to an established realm.
Too true, too true. It would help if seizing the castle meant some serious consequences, like I've heard exists in some mods where you have to flee the castle or run the risk of capture.

One way of balancing how powerful big realms get would be making the sort of raiding and shit that happens constantly more consequential. in my current game, I stretch from the Black Sea to the Atlantic, and raiders show up pretty damn often, especially in our territory in Crimea (bordering the massive Khazaria). And yet the raiders really don't pose any threat to my power, it's just an annoyance I deal with if my armies happen to be in the area, or that the Exarchs deal with if they can. There's no real consequence if I decide to ignore the problem: raiders can overrun my outlying territories and it merely inconveniences me. Granted sometimes the raiders decide to go on a pilgrimage to sack Constantinople or something, but that's essentially suicidal on their part since my levies crush them.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11478 on: December 30, 2016, 06:36:21 pm »

The only thing I can really think of that would threaten the big realms would be aggression pacts. As is it's rare for more than one or two nations to team up in an offensive war, but when Francia or Byzantium have the power of the next three biggest kingdoms combined that's never enough to take land from them. The only thing that could take land from them that isn't a similar great power would be a massive alliance of lesser powers teaming up to rip away as much as they can.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11479 on: December 31, 2016, 10:49:19 am »

Or Crusade, Jihad and Mongol
Or civil war

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11480 on: December 31, 2016, 01:18:35 pm »

Or Crusade, Jihad and Mongol
Or civil war

Civil wars are rare once you have the cash to bribe your vassals enough unless you get the Child of Satan as an heir, and the Crusade wars are infrequent and still not hard to beat if you know how and can rush the Religious Head's holdings. Nomads like the Mongols have the problem of being easy to take land back from, especially if they don't raze it properly.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Innsmothe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11481 on: December 31, 2016, 04:45:20 pm »

Child of satan events are awesome if you are still a small ish power.
Went from mercia to england,wales and half of ireland in the first decade of my second ruler (first died within two years due to a concussion on the battlefield.)
He lasted 89 years after recovering from incapability AND a missing limb, his greatest achievement was incorporating saxony into the anglo-saxon British isles.
The retinue of the King are still called the Children of the Devil to this day.

Head canon is that the Anglish catholic church will differ to the point of a second breakage ala E.Rome/HenrryVIII in the EU conversion. Including actual blood rights, pacts and shed according to a mix of devilish influence and exageration of ancient german custom.
The Anglosaxon Euchrist is gruesome to behold
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 04:48:24 pm by Innsmothe »
"That which does not kill me, can only make me stranger." -Dana, Creator of Ozzy & Millie.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11482 on: December 31, 2016, 05:25:42 pm »

* Iceblaster points to defensive pacts as a major point against big powers.

* Iceblaster goes into the corner for suggesting coalitions are a valid blocker to aggressive expanders.

i play with defensive pacts unless it's a mod like elder kings or it's multiplayer. i don't see the hate against it :v

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11483 on: December 31, 2016, 05:41:18 pm »

I'm personally a huge fan of the new diplomacy system- particularly, that you have to work up to an alliance, and that it's situational, rather than a blanket coalition that discourages confrontation with large powers.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11484 on: December 31, 2016, 05:43:35 pm »

Yeah. I prefer the new system. let's me decide 'hm i can bait this one family member into attacking through sheer force of every one else being in a NAP with me. or just have a peaceful realm on my side.'

Though that's only because I tend to land dynasty members first. My Haesteining run taught me that :P

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #11485 on: December 31, 2016, 06:25:56 pm »

So, I've heard that CK2 had/has an event which is about Satan making you gay (there even were Reddit posts about it). How do I trigger this event? I want to know for the future.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11486 on: December 31, 2016, 08:15:23 pm »

You have to be the son (or daughter) of Satan before he teaches you about the birds and the bees in his, unique way.

Triggering the Son of Satan thing is completely up to chance, and there is no meaningful way to increase it's likelihood. As long as you have kids there is a chance of it happening. I think being a Lunatic or possessed ruler increases the likelihood? Sit on those modifiers and have a lot of kids I suppose. It's still rare though.

Anyway, after it fires you need to let them live to adulthood, then you need to die (which fortunately your devil spawn will do for you given time), and they need to inherit whatever it is that you have (and they might be your third daughter or whatever, but they will murder their way down the line of succession). Then you need to survive the wave of revolts and civil wars that inevitably follow the rise of the son or daughter of Satan to the throne, and eventually Satan will do it for you. You will periodically gain vices and lose virtues from the various demons of lore, and one of these is Satan sending a demon in your sleep to teach you homosexuality (shock! horror!)
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11487 on: December 31, 2016, 09:06:50 pm »

You have to be the son (or daughter) of Satan before he teaches you about the birds and the bees in his, unique way.

Triggering the Son of Satan thing is completely up to chance, and there is no meaningful way to increase it's likelihood. As long as you have kids there is a chance of it happening. I think being a Lunatic or possessed ruler increases the likelihood? Sit on those modifiers and have a lot of kids I suppose. It's still rare though.

Anyway, after it fires you need to let them live to adulthood, then you need to die (which fortunately your devil spawn will do for you given time), and they need to inherit whatever it is that you have (and they might be your third daughter or whatever, but they will murder their way down the line of succession). Then you need to survive the wave of revolts and civil wars that inevitably follow the rise of the son or daughter of Satan to the throne, and eventually Satan will do it for you. You will periodically gain vices and lose virtues from the various demons of lore, and one of these is Satan sending a demon in your sleep to teach you homosexuality (shock! horror!)
You forgot one important part: you need to be abrahamic for the Spawn of Satan to fire. Pagans have their own unique special thing (summoning and killing Cthulhu, or, alternatively, being a werewolf). I can't remember if Indians get anything of the sorts, though.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11488 on: December 31, 2016, 09:16:59 pm »

Triggers and event chains. I haven't read beyond triggers, and if you don't want to read it, the average time it takes to happen is 500 years, affected - if I'm reading it right - by the traits:

x0.5 with possessed

x0.75 each with lunatic, cruel, and impaler

The child has to be under 3, not inbred, not ill.

I have had the event one time, unfortunately as a Muslim and it was my daughter, so nothing could really be done with it. The spamming of events with all my other children being murdered in their sleep was disturbing as all shit :))
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 09:18:33 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #11489 on: January 07, 2017, 11:23:54 am »

I'm so tired of my heirs becoming cowards for no reason! It's like the third or fourth ruler with "Craven" trait in my dynasty! This trait is easily one of the worst traits in the game. CK2 hates me. Also, too much border gore.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.
Pages: 1 ... 764 765 [766] 767 768 ... 1002