Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 765 766 [767] 768 769 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093788 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #11490 on: January 07, 2017, 12:14:56 pm »

Send your craven heirs to war. Either they die or they become brave

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11491 on: January 07, 2017, 12:22:01 pm »

You can also lose it with the War focus, assuming you have WoL.

Dull is a bastard, though.

Which I guess leads into:

Do you guys choose a particular life focus (struggle, thrift, pride etc.) for your children when you want them get a particular education focus (Midas-touched, grey eminence, brilliant strategist etc.) later?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11492 on: January 07, 2017, 01:47:27 pm »

I have a similar problem with the Indians and Sunnis (the pissing Caliph, no less) in my Zoroastrian game. They have more or less the same number of troops as I can muster, and the most recent one they tried to gang up on me by declaring war simultaneously, as well as some adventurer dude I forgot about. I have beaten the Indians twice and the Caliph three times, while having taken two or three counties from the Caliph when he's otherwise distracted.

It's also the first game I've played in which I've actually seen an Indian kingdom actually get out of India. I wish they wouldn't though, they have bits of the Persian Empire I need :(

In saying that, I just got subjugated by the Mongols. Thought it would be worse than it is - evidently an immediate surrender is not welcome - but I still have all my titles and I need to pay them a bit of cash now, but... I think otherwise it's the same. I can continue my expansion 'til I need to become independent again, I guess.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #11493 on: January 07, 2017, 02:42:10 pm »

You can also lose it with the War focus, assuming you have WoL.

Dull is a bastard, though.

Which I guess leads into:

Do you guys choose a particular life focus (struggle, thrift, pride etc.) for your children when you want them get a particular education focus (Midas-touched, grey eminence, brilliant strategist etc.) later?

Yes, I give my heir education focus when they reach 12 years old ASAP.

I have all major DLCs and a minor one (South Indian Portraits), which I got as a gift for registering the game on Paradox Plaza. I chose Thrift but ultimately decided to give my heir military education. The reason I chose Thrift instead of Struggle, is because Fussy is the best childhood trait. It has no truly bad possible traits. Patient, Greedy, and Paranoid are all good traits. Curious is good too and I read on wiki that your children can gain Quick trait if they are curious.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11494 on: January 07, 2017, 04:25:03 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Third time, they've done this. Each time, with a bigger army. Now they number 40,000.

When will they learn that you cannot conquer Serbia?
U N C O N Q U E R A B L E

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11495 on: January 07, 2017, 11:14:20 pm »

I try but I have no idea what I'm doing. The wiki says it's all rather complicated and unbalanced, which makes me want to mod it to make sense, if that's even possible.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11496 on: January 07, 2017, 11:47:38 pm »

I always go for struggle / thrift for a few reasons.

1. When your dynasty is big, you get endlessly spammed to assign focuses for all these random two bit children everywhere. I really can't be bothered to check every single one.
2. Struggle has a good chance of giving the kid the brawny trait. This trait is amazing with the bonus to health.
3. Thrift has a good chance to give shrewd. This trait is basically "quick" which is amazing as well.

I don't really care about the rest.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11497 on: January 08, 2017, 03:01:32 am »

So, with my Great Serbian Empire campaign test-run, I was thinking of having 5 internal dynastic kingdoms, with the empire being tanistry. Ideally each new Emperor would be chosen from one of those 5 kingdoms. Unfortunately I did not realize that incest is a thing, and they will gladly do so as to unify their kingdoms as quickly as possible. Or, being Bogomilist, die out due to a lack of heirs since they're all celibate.

So, any suggestions on a neat internal structure for my Great Serbian Empire, which I want to last just long enough to conquer almost all of the Imperial Reconquest area before collapsing spectacularly, Roman Empire style?
The best way to have a good collapse is to give individual kingdoms to your children. So Italy goes to your son, Serbia goes to another son, etc. etc. The more family members with strong claims, the better.

When you die, I guarantee everyone will go haywire. Make sure all the kingdoms are as powerful as they can be too.

If you want to go super explosion, what you can do is make sure all the individual vassals are a different religion and race than your heirs. It'll be hilarious.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #11498 on: January 08, 2017, 03:20:39 am »

Big empires don't easily die natural deaths, the only way they split up in game terms is with independence revolts.  Everything else will cause temporary breakups or change who's in charge, but it won't actually destroy the top level title.

Probably why the game is so snowbally now that I think about it.  Even when a big realm falls it just becomes part of an even bigger realm.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11499 on: January 08, 2017, 03:26:02 am »

No, no, I want it to be a slow decay leading up to it as well. Simply giving away a whole lot of titles to children isn't very interesting. I want something that can't really be stopped by the time it's extreme enough to notice.
Not really possible.

If you can figure out such a thing, let me know.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11500 on: January 08, 2017, 01:26:37 pm »

One of my biggest hopes for CK3 is an integration of the imperial decadence thing HIP and CK2+ add. That, with a few modifications to make it more official would be great. Would allow the ability to model the decline of empires without feeling too sudden.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11501 on: January 08, 2017, 01:29:01 pm »

CK3 will not be coming for a long, long time. A new generation of Paradox titles is most often tied to a new engine, and we still have the hypothetical Victoria 3 (please let it be a thing in the future) to go, not counting the entire lifetime of EU4, HOI4, and Stellaris.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11502 on: January 08, 2017, 01:30:48 pm »

Meh. Didn't stop people from speculating Fallout 4 features. Even if we have to wait five years for a game, damnit, we'll still speculate on features :P

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11503 on: January 08, 2017, 01:44:03 pm »

Meh. Didn't stop people from speculating Fallout 4 features. Even if we have to wait five years for a game, damnit, we'll still speculate on features :P
I mean, yeah, sure. I'd also want a map that extends to China and somewhat further south (in order to include SE Asia and central Africa) in it. I do, however, have a feeling that whenever it comes out it will feel bare compared to CK2 because of the sheer amount of content added in the game's lifetime, which can't all be added at release in a sequel due to budget and time restraints. Not counting mods on top of that.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11504 on: January 08, 2017, 01:45:14 pm »

Yeaaah. that's honestly the biggest problem with any DLC heavy game.

The next game feels bare. Like the sims. Even if the base game is a good game, compared to the previous game with all the DLC, it'll feel barren.
Pages: 1 ... 765 766 [767] 768 769 ... 1002